Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss Sci-Fi Dine In Theatre review in the Vacation Planning forums; PROS : Unique Theme CONS : Too dark, food and service lacking I visited the Dine-In Theatre in June 2010 during Star wars Weekends with my wife and 2 sons ...
    GoofyDad is offline B-Ticket Holder

Sci-Fi Dine In Theatre review

PROS: Unique Theme
    CONS: Too dark, food and service lacking

I visited the Dine-In Theatre in June 2010 during Star wars Weekends with my wife and 2 sons (ages 6 and 7 at that time). We had reservations and used our Disney Dining Plan. The wait was nearly 30 minutes after our reservation time (likely due to the increased crowd for Star Wars.)

Understanding that this was to be darker than usual based on the theme, I accepted the lack of light at first and gave way to the idea of a "night theme" (which is done quite well.) The "cars" are a bit smaller than i would like, and the table is barely deep enough to set your plate on. The tables are dimly lit, and you cannot see very much with the small amount of light provided by them due to the fact that the light is behind your plate, not over it.

We knew when making our reservation that only two could sit side by side in these "cars", but it was odd to have a meal where I could not share a conversation with my entire family. By the time our meal arrived, I was more uncomfortable with the theme, as I could not clearly see my food to eat it. The wait staff were hard to reach, and in the dark we could never tell if the person flying past us was "our" server or not. This day was 90+ degrees, and our glasses stood empty for 10 minutes at a time.

The food was fair, and to be honest the food we received at Quick Service locations throughout the parks was far better. This was the one dining experience in our trip where we were actually anxious to finish and leave. This restaurant is considered Table Service, but for the money (or table service voucher) you can find a better meal and better service nearly anywhere else in WDW.

I'm glad we tried it, as the theme is very well done, but this is one that we'll pass on in the future.
    JUN 2010 - Caribbean Beach Resort (Star Wars Weekends)
    SEP 2011 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    MAY 2012 - Offsite single night and DHS
    DEC 2012 - Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas - Jambo House

wdwkid32 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Sci-Fi Dine In Theatre review

The sci-fi is one of the best dinning places in all of walt Disney. I would argue that is is the best. I love it, even though the food may not be up to par. the imaginners created a great atmophere in which to enjoy a meal.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

I have only had the hamburger - which is something I love. The most difficult thing for my family of 6 is who gets to sit next to Mom. So this sometimes isn't the best choice. But my kids LOVE this restaurant. They like the cars and the "crazy old movies."

I do wish they had more of a dessert choice. But over all it is one of our favorites.

jennluvsmickey is offline A-Ticket holder

Thumbs up Re: Sci-Fi Dine In Theatre review

This is a MUST DO for me and my family! We love the dark and quiet atmosphere. Our service has always been outstanding. The kids (DS 14 & DD 10)love this place, plus they love getting to sit just them without mom and dad there. it gives them a little "freedom".
    Dreaming of the Magic

mouselover4ever is offline A-Ticket holder

I am in the middle on this restaurant. Ate there during my last trip in 2008 (I know, I know--way too long ago!).

Agree that the dim lighting was challenging and the food was mediocre, never had a problem with not having drinks refilled though. I did enjoy the environment, which is in all honesty the draw for me to most of my favorite dining spots. If you enjoy the environment and you don't want to use a table service voucher or spend the money for what isn't really a great meal for you but you still want to experience Sci Fi as more of an 'attraction' then maybe just go and share an appetizer or dessert and drink. We did that some time in the 90's, and we weren't rushed or forced to order any more---for the 4 of us we got 1 appetizer and 1 dessert and drinks so it wasn't terribly expensive but we got to enjoy the ambience. It was more of a rest in cool a/c and a snack on top of an attraction. We did leave the server a higher % tip since it wasn't her fault that our ticket was less than normal for taking care of a family of 4. Just an idea for anyone who likes the idea of the place but doesn't like the food or can't enjoy a meal you eat in the dark.
    happily afflicted with DOCD (Disney Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)

Rick Blaine is offline B-Ticket Holder

I ate there once, and will go back again. I had the Beef and Blue salad, which I thought was good. I was a little dark, but not so much I could not see my food. I loved watching the old coming attractions. I think the theme was to show coming attractions of really bad sci-fi movies, the only problem is that a few of the movies they show are very good!

Vadania is offline C-Ticket Holder

I love the Sci-Fi Dine In Theatre.

We make a point of going on our visits. Each time we've had great service and the server in our first visit converted me from a well-done burger to medium

The last visit (September '10) we went for lunch and they didn't have burgers on the menu but our server still got us them.

I highly recommend the adult milkshakes - Orbiting Oeros and Lunar Landing - and the Crispy Onion Rings

It is dark but nothing distracting... I like it and adds to the atmosphere.
    Kungaloosh!!

gooftroop is offline C-Ticket Holder

I can not wait to go. We have been to Disney several times but this is the first time eating at the Sci.

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

We've always LOVED this one...for the atmosphere!
    Honestly, even before we first tried it, we never expected it to be all that great food-wise...
    What were we to expect? It's drive-in movie theater food...!
    Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
    Answer: Does it have to be a light bulb?

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vadania View Post
    I love the Sci-Fi Dine In Theatre.

We make a point of going on our visits. Each time we've had great service and the server in our first visit converted me from a well-done burger to medium

The last visit (September '10) we went for lunch and they didn't have burgers on the menu but our server still got us them.

I highly recommend the adult milkshakes - Orbiting Oeros and Lunar Landing - and the Crispy Onion Rings

It is dark but nothing distracting... I like it and adds to the atmosphere.

Lest y'all get me wrong, though, we've never had a "bad" meal there, either!
    Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
    Answer: Does it have to be a light bulb?

tmbcole is offline C-Ticket Holder

We love Sci-Fi. The food has never been up to par with the rest of Disney World, but the atmosphere and theming are incredible. I love watching the old movies.

The hot fudge sundae is the best!
    Tina Cole

Vadania is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Dizisit View Post
    We've always LOVED this one...for the atmosphere!
    Honestly, even before we first tried it, we never expected it to be all that great food-wise...
    What were we to expect? It's drive-in movie theater food...!
    I always thought until I looked into it and tried it that bcause of the themeing it would have been a DHS version of Casey's Corner in MK.
    Kungaloosh!!

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse

Sci-Fi drive in is defientiely a go for the theme not the food kind of place. We've been a few times but probably won't rush to go back forthe enxt few visits. Prime Time has as good theming and the food is better.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

petals3485 is offline Annual Passholder

Sci Fi was my first table service restaurant in disney and I loved it.. only thing I didn't like was we were sitting under a fan and it was freezing in there had to go outside to heat up lol!

DizScott is offline A-Ticket holder

Sci-Fi has always been a favorite of ours. It's true that the food may not be the best for the price but we have never had a bad meal and the servers have always been fun. If anyone is thinking about going there but not sure about spending the money for a meal, try going for dessert. They make pretty good milkshakes. That way you aren't spending as much money but still getting the experience.

Polynesian Resort 1986 Thanksgiving
    Dixie Landings 1996 Summer Vacation
    Caribbean Beach 1999 Summer Vacation
    Port Orleans Riverside 2005 4th of July
    Pop Century 2006 4th of July
    All Star Movies 2006 Christmas
    Pop Century 2007 Food & Wine Fest.
    Caribbean Beach 2008 Food & Wine Fest.
    Coronado Springs 2009 Flower & Garden Fest.
    All Star Music 2009 Christmas
    The Boardwalk Villas 2010 Food & Wine Fest.
    The Boardwalk Villas 2011 Food & Wine Fest.