Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Dining Discuss Food or Atmosphere? in the Vacation Planning forums; When eating at Walt Disney World what is more important to you, food or atmosphere? I wrote my opinion on it w while back on my blog here The Four ...
    penguinmickdis1 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Food or Atmosphere?

When eating at Walt Disney World what is more important to you, food or atmosphere? I wrote my opinion on it w while back on my blog here The Four Parks: Opinion of the Week: Disney World Restaurants: Food or Atmosphere? What do you think? Does it depend on price, time, or another factor? I was interested to see what other people think.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Food or Atmosphere?

I kind of put them together for one value score.

UBMICK35000 is offline B-Ticket Holder

I'd give the edge to 'food'. No amount of 'atmosphere' is going to make a bad meal taste better.

Fortunately no restaurant in WDW has a lack of either good food or good atmosphere.IMHO.
    [indent]Who says you have to grow up? - Walt Disney

07 / 1990 off property
    09 / 1992 off property
    06 / 1997 Wilderness Lodge
    07 / 2000 Port Orleans
    06 / 2002 Wilderness Lodge
    12 / 2003 Grand Floridian
    09 / 2005 Disneyland Hotel
    09 / 2006 Boardwalk
    06 / 2007 Contemporary
    06 / 2008 Riverside
    03 / 2009 Caribbean Beach
    10 / 2010 Yacht Club
    05 / 2011 Polynesian
    12 / 2011 Disneyland Hotel
    06 / 2012 Disney Magic
    05 / 2013 'Grand' Californian
    12 / 2013 'Grand' Floridian

2009 D23 Charter Member

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder

The food has to be good for me, but the atmosphere adds to it considerably.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

MissMEY is offline C-Ticket Holder

Good food with poor atmosphere leads to a poor experience... so has to be a mix of both - for instance Sci Fi diner - not reknown for its food, though it is ok, but its quirky drive in feel.

Staying at Old Key West & cruising on the Disney Fantasy

HOST AT THE MINNIE MINXES DISNEY PODCAST
    An all-female Disney podcast from the UK

www.facebook.com/theminnieminxesdisneypodcast
    Our Blog http://theminnieminxes.blogspot.co.uk Our Twitter@theminnieminxes

penguinmickdis1 is offline C-Ticket Holder

To keep this conversation going, what matters more to you if it is a quick service or if it is table service? Also feel free to leave a comment on my opinion here: The Four Parks: Opinion of the Week: Disney World Restaurants: Food or Atmosphere? There is no account required so it is really easy!

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

If it is counter service, it is pretty much a matter of what is closest to me. If I am running around the parks I am not going to walk from one end to another for chicken fingers or a hot dog. Same with a hotel, why jump from one hotel to another for basically the same OTC food? I know Disney is trying to diversify its menu, but you typically choose a quick service location for its convenience.

As far as sit down, for my family we usually choose something in proximity to where we are, then I would say a combination of the categories you asked about are factored in.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Both. Which is why San Angel Inn is my favorite restaurant on property.

UBMICK35000 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Since you will be spending more time in a table service restaurant then the combination of 'atmosphere' and 'food' will be of importance. Good 'atmosphere' will add to the experience of good 'food' and vice versa.

If it is a quick service restaurant then the 'food' will be the most important since you are only going to spend just enough time in the restaurant to eat and then be on your way.

That being said, some of the quick service restaurants have a lot of great 'atmosphere' and you wouldn't mind sitting at a table and taking it all in. (For example "Columbia Harbour House" or "Pecos Bill's")
    [indent]Who says you have to grow up? - Walt Disney

07 / 1990 off property
    09 / 1992 off property
    06 / 1997 Wilderness Lodge
    07 / 2000 Port Orleans
    06 / 2002 Wilderness Lodge
    12 / 2003 Grand Floridian
    09 / 2005 Disneyland Hotel
    09 / 2006 Boardwalk
    06 / 2007 Contemporary
    06 / 2008 Riverside
    03 / 2009 Caribbean Beach
    10 / 2010 Yacht Club
    05 / 2011 Polynesian
    12 / 2011 Disneyland Hotel
    06 / 2012 Disney Magic
    05 / 2013 'Grand' Californian
    12 / 2013 'Grand' Floridian

2009 D23 Charter Member

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Good call. And both of those places actually DO have a wonderful atmosphere.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by UBMICK35000 View Post
    Fortunately no restaurant in WDW has a lack of either good food or good atmosphere.IMHO.
    I disagree. From what I've experienced, any meal outside of breakfast seems to be more about the atmosphere than the food. Food is average, at best. But then, you don't choose to go to WDW for a great meal. You're kind of there already.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I disagree. From what I've experienced, any meal outside of breakfast seems to be more about the atmosphere than the food. Food is average, at best. But then, you don't choose to go to WDW for a great meal. You're kind of there already.

I have to disagree...I've had some great meals on property. Also, I go back to the fact that we are both NYers - we have every type of food there is on the planet all on one Island and in the boroughs, plus the best Pizza (sorry Chi-town), pastries and bagels. If you leave NY, it can be hard to be impressed by food. However, other parts of the country may not have the opportunities that we do, and the variety of food that Disney offers is definitely diversifying itself. I am by no means saying that other parts of the country live a sheltered life, but every part of the country has their specialty, and Disney has them all in one spot.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

My wife and I are amateur foodies, and have eaten at a lot of fine places all over the country. Including one of the only five Yunan joints in the country.

There are definitely fine meals to be had on property at some of the sit down dining locations. San Angel Inn, Le Cellier, and Citrico's come immediately to mind. I'd assume Victoria & Alberts as well, but refuse to get dressed up for dinner.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    There are definitely fine meals to be had on property at some of the sit down dining locations. San Angel Inn, Le Cellier, and Citrico's come immediately to mind. I'd assume Victoria & Alberts as well, but refuse to get dressed up for dinner.
    All fine choices, and the sitdown meals had better be darn good for the inflated prices they serve. While Disney keeps reeling in the cheapskates by offering free dining, I wouldn't imagine that a family of five could spend their own money on meals at Citrico's every night for dinner. Which leaves the mediocre food of the Harbour House and Electric Umbrella.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by UBMICK35000 View Post
    I'd give the edge to 'food'. No amount of 'atmosphere' is going to make a bad meal taste better.
    Sci-Fi is a perfect example. Even the new menu is not getting great reviews. I'm not paying 25.00 to eat just cause I can sit in the car. Not happening.

"Fortunately no restaurant in WDW has a lack of either good food or good atmosphere.IMHO." Oh my goodness, I spit coffee when I read that part.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by DopeyDancer87 View Post
    I have to disagree...I've had some great meals on property. Also, I go back to the fact that we are both NYers - we have every type of food there is on the planet all on one Island and in the boroughs, plus the best Pizza (sorry Chi-town), pastries and bagels. If you leave NY, it can be hard to be impressed by food. However, other parts of the country may not have the opportunities that we do, and the variety of food that Disney offers is definitely diversifying itself. I am by no means saying that other parts of the country live a sheltered life, but every part of the country has their specialty, and Disney has them all in one spot.
    I have to disagree...Chi-town has the best pizza. Chicago also has world renown chefs. Heck, the dude that just left the Cali-Grill opened a resturant here last year. You go to the NorthShore and that is where you find the best bagels and pastries. The German food found in Chicago easily can hold its own against most. Go to China Town or Little Italy and you will find the best of cuisine. Far superior to than anything I've ate in Epcot. I think the problem with those who visit Chicago don't go to the correct areas for what they want. Much like NY's say about us when we visit Time Square and eat in the Square.

On topic:
    I've had so many meals in WDW. I go for the food. I can get atmosphere elsewhere in WDW. Unfortunately the vast majority of the time between CS and full service, I'm either disappointed or not impressed. Yes, I've had great food here and there. Traveling for decades the dining plan has just ruined sit down dining on a whole and certainly has changed the offerings for CS. Chicken Strips vs nuggets. Stuff slopped on a chicken dog. I hunt and hunt hard to avoid generic food and buffets.

Check out a real honest review of F & W in Tuesdays Newsletter from All Ears. You can see how many were great, OK and yuck. OK and Yuck should not be at a Food and Wine Fest. (AE used different words).
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast