Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Dining Discuss Value Resorts Food Courts in the Vacation Planning forums; Sometimes when people go on vacation they like to just not worry about a price tag. I shop food sales and am pretty economical at home, and when I go ...
    Thom Morrow is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: Value Resorts Food Courts

Sometimes when people go on vacation they like to just not worry about a price tag. I shop food sales and am pretty economical at home, and when I go to Disney, the range of options that are offered in one place is fun to just enjoy without worrying about the cost. But I budget and save before hand to have that option. I know that option doesn't exist for everyone, and some people just don't like to spend too much money on food, but for me, it is all about freedom and the experience of the Disney dining options.

I do dig the food courts too though, they always have great options, fresh cooked taboot, and the portions/quality is definitely higher than your average fast food joint.

While I don't have kids and I know that complicates the matter greatly, I do save when I go to the world by having breakfast in my room every morning and sometimes lunch on days when we break from the parks. We will also go to a restaurant and just split an appetizer or two and a dessert. The one time we did the free Dining Plan, we found it was just TOO MUCH food, so snacking around is kind of how we dine in Disney. I do suggest the free Dining Plan if you want to try out a bunch of restaurants. Despite being too much food, it was pretty fun to just pick and not worry about the bill!

So yeah, I hear what you are saying, but you can totally get the full experience on a budget if you just go about it in an economical way.

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Morrow View Post
    Sometimes when people go on vacation they like to just not worry about a price tag. I shop food sales and am pretty economical at home, and when I go to Disney, the range of options that are offered in one place is fun to just enjoy without worrying about the cost. But I budget and save before hand to have that option. I know that option doesn't exist for everyone, and some people just don't like to spend too much money on food, but for me, it is all about freedom and the experience of the Disney dining options.

I do dig the food courts too though, they always have great options, fresh cooked taboot, and the portions/quality is definitely higher than your average fast food joint.

While I don't have kids and I know that complicates the matter greatly, I do save when I go to the world by having breakfast in my room every morning and sometimes lunch on days when we break from the parks. We will also go to a restaurant and just split an appetizer or two and a dessert. The one time we did the free Dining Plan, we found it was just TOO MUCH food, so snacking around is kind of how we dine in Disney. I do suggest the free Dining Plan if you want to try out a bunch of restaurants. Despite being too much food, it was pretty fun to just pick and not worry about the bill!

So yeah, I hear what you are saying, but you can totally get the full experience on a budget if you just go about it in an economical way.
    Very true.I do some of the same.We always eat breakfast in our room,and eat cheaply when not in the parks also.As I mentioned we have not done the dining plan yet,neither when it offered free or when it has to be purchased,so I can't relate to that awesome choice.My brother and his family were at WDW back in Sept and they did the dining plan and he loved it!They ate "high on the hog" and said the foods were excellent.So that will be a serious consideration for our next trip to WDW.
    Park Hopper Dad!

AllieBee is offline D-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Park Hopper Dad View Post
    Very true.I do some of the same.We always eat breakfast in our room,and eat cheaply when not in the parks also.As I mentioned we have not done the dining plan yet,neither when it offered free or when it has to be purchased,so I can't relate to that awesome choice.My brother and his family were at WDW back in Sept and they did the dining plan and he loved it!They ate "high on the hog" and said the foods were excellent.So that will be a serious consideration for our next trip to WDW.
    When you say you "eat breakfast in your room," what exactly can you keep in there? Are there refrigerators? Microwaves? Coffeemakers? Sorry, I'm new at resort life. It's been years.
    October, 2003 - Wilderness Lodge
    January, 2006 - Disney Magic
    January, 2007 - Windsor Hills Resort
    October, 2007 - Bonnet Creek Resort
    January, 2008 - Disney Magic
    January, 2010 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 28-February 5, 2011 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 12-January 15, 2012 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 28 -January 31, 2012 - Pop Century

Read my pre-trip report!
    http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...ip-report.html

Quote Originally Posted by AllieBee View Post
    When you say you "eat breakfast in your room," what exactly can you keep in there? Are there refrigerators? Microwaves? Coffeemakers? Sorry, I'm new at resort life. It's been years.
    Actually AllieBee,in the value resorts you have to pay extra for a fridge in your room.So we do one better.We have one of those big blue coolers that is on wheels and we bring that with us.On our first day at check in,we get settled in our room and then we go to wal mart over off of 535 or 536,I can't remember the numbers.Most people know how to get to the wallyworld but can't share directions.We buy snacks,drinks,and breakfast items,such as bagels/cream cheese,sandwich meat-usually ham with sliced cheese,mayo,chips,crackers,gallon of milk,cereal,stuff like that.
    When we get back to the room,we go to the ice machine and fill the cooler about half way up with ice and put all perishables down in the ice.Come morning,we make bagels/cream cheese,(we also take a toaster),or ham and cheese bagel breakfast sandwiches,my girls eat cereal etc.When finished before we leave the room,we drain off the water out of the cooler and we top off the ice again to keep everything cold.Then in the evening when we return to the room,we drain off the water again,as it has been sitting all day,and again top it off with more ice for the night time.This saves us a lot of money by not paying extra for the fridge(too small anyway),and we save even more money by not eating breakfast at the food court or anywhere else.There is a little bit of effort involved but our efforts pay off.Oh I almost forgot,there are no fridges,no microwaves and no coffeemakers in the value rooms,unless they have started putting these items in there since our last trip to WDW.But I doubt they have.We bring our own toaster and coffeemaker.
    Last edited by Park Hopper Dad; 11-07-2011 at 02:39 PM.
    Park Hopper Dad!

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

One trip to Walmart and I'm set. I buy eggs, bread, maybe a box of cereal, and I'm good for the week. Breakfast in the room is a MUST on my trips. It's cheaper and quicker. Plus, I have already eaten my meal, so I can spend the next few hours walking it off until lunch.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    One trip to Walmart and I'm set. I buy eggs, bread, maybe a box of cereal, and I'm good for the week. Breakfast in the room is a MUST on my trips. It's cheaper and quicker. Plus, I have already eaten my meal, so I can spend the next few hours walking it off until lunch.
    Do you stay in a value room?If so,how do you cook your eggs?Do you bring a small microwave? Another way?
    Park Hopper Dad!

ganeshagro is offline A-Ticket holder

I never went this place but it really looks great & food courts are nice so wish to visit there soon. I think for the most part, food quality is probably pretty much the same at most food courts.

supermariodrums is offline D-Ticket Holder

I love everything pop. Especially for breakfast! I am addicted to their breakfast wraps, and I'm not sure why lol. There is nothing fancy or great about them.
    Disney World is not just a place, but an experience.

Back in the world for the 2013 Marathon Weekend!

WDW

Quote Originally Posted by supermariodrums View Post
    I love everything pop. Especially for breakfast! I am addicted to their breakfast wraps, and I'm not sure why lol. There is nothing fancy or great about them.
    Well ya know a good wrap when ya taste one! So there ya go!
    Park Hopper Dad!

jeanigor is offline D-Ticket Holder

I think the food is a bit tastier at the food courts over the counter service in the parks (well at least at MK and HS). And a big winner for me, refills on my drink. I drink a lot. A refill of my mug or two while I eat my supper is certainly welcome.

As for stretching funds, I usually bring oatmeal with me. If I rent a car I swing by Wal-Mart or Publix and pick up some bagels, bananas, peanut butter, granola/snack bars maybe a pack of cookies. I have a fridge for meds, so I also get soda and sometimes milk and cereal.

If you wanted to splurge for a breakfast treat, be sure to check menus. I discovered on my last trip that I could go to Kona and get Tonga Toast and a juice for $20 (including tip). That was rather steep for a single piece of toast and a drink. However, by going downstairs to Captain Cook's I could get three pieces of Tonga Toast for less than that.
    I'm fairly certain that given a tiara and a nice cape, I could save the world--one sequin at a time.

2011 Donald Marathon 2:59:00. 2011 Princess Marathon
    3:12:40.
    2011 Disneyland Marathon 3:13:52. 2011 Wine & Dine Marathon --3:06:56.
    2012 Donald Marathon --. 2012 Tinkerbell Marathon --.

Grand Camping Adventure Information

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12