Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss Quick Service Dining Plan? in the Vacation Planning forums; Is it worth it? From what I remember this was 2 counter service meals and a snack a day. Don't quite remember the cost but when I toiled around with ...
    Gatorhead is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quick Service Dining Plan?

Is it worth it?

From what I remember this was 2 counter service meals and a snack a day. Don't quite remember the cost but when I toiled around with the numbers a couple of years ago it seemed like we'd actually end up spending more while on the dining plan than without since we are typically 3 meals a day family and would still have to pay for a meal out of pocket if even doing this particular dining plan. So really what's the purpose?

Maybe my figuring was not correct. Can someone that's crunched the figures post some examples of the plan vs out of pocket? How about some advantages about the dining plan vs out of pocket?

Never been on the dining plan in the past but I guess I'm just hoping I'm not missing out on something that could have possibly save me a few $$$ if my calculations have been off.

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

Re: Quick Service Dining Plan?

I am trying to figure out the same thing actually, but with the plan that offers the sit down meal, QS and snack...

What we have figured out so far is if you are going to really use everything on the plan, then yes, it is worth the price you pay. However, if you are going to find yourself wanting things that are not included in the plan, then you are probably better off just paying out of pocket. Do you plan on doing any sit down meals while you are there? What if you need an extra snack or two? Its all things to consider. What I would do is take the price Disney is giving you, divide by the number of days you are going per person and see how much they are charging you to eat per day, then compare it to what you think you spent in the past.

The sole reason I am holding back from purchasing a dining plan is that some of the resturaunts we really want to try are not included in the plan, so we are trying to decide if we really want to stick to the plan or just pay out of pocket to get what we want. We are not ones for rigid schedules, and it is only myself and my boyfriend going this time, so we are pretty free to be and have a "grown up" Disney experience (we usually go with my family, and I have brothers and cousins all pre-teen/teenage). Not sure what we are going to do yet either.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I have never seen the value in the dining plan... any of them. I have never spent a hundred dollars a day per person on food.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Gatorhead is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyDancer87 View Post
    I am trying to figure out the same thing actually, but with the plan that offers the sit down meal, QS and snack...

What we have figured out so far is if you are going to really use everything on the plan, then yes, it is worth the price you pay. However, if you are going to find yourself wanting things that are not included in the plan, then you are probably better off just paying out of pocket. Do you plan on doing any sit down meals while you are there? What if you need an extra snack or two? Its all things to consider. What I would do is take the price Disney is giving you, divide by the number of days you are going per person and see how much they are charging you to eat per day, then compare it to what you think you spent in the past.

The sole reason I am holding back from purchasing a dining plan is that some of the resturaunts we really want to try are not included in the plan, so we are trying to decide if we really want to stick to the plan or just pay out of pocket to get what we want. We are not ones for rigid schedules, and it is only myself and my boyfriend going this time, so we are pretty free to be and have a "grown up" Disney experience (we usually go with my family, and I have brothers and cousins all pre-teen/teenage). Not sure what we are going to do yet either.
    Do you guys normally eat 3 meals a day? If you do you're still going to pay out of pocket for a meal and for us I've never been able to find the value in using the dining plan since we're typically a 3 meal a day family.

I think the plan might work to one's advantage if they can eat what only the plan allows. Then I can see where the plan might save a few $$$.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I think it is up to the individual family, but I just didn't see the value. If you are not big eaters and like to split two meals a day, then two people can split a meal for breakfast and lunch, then eat a full meal for dinner with a snack. We wind up splitting lunches or the meal is just too big to eat dinner later on. I still think of the DDP as a "service" you pay for.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

I agree that it is up to the family. How many snacks do you normally get a day? What type of things will your family order?

For my kids, it was best to do the dining plan. They are really adventurous eaters so it paid off to have a choice of anything without worrying about the cost. They also snack quite a bit- and I like one or two CocaColas throughout the day. We found that the snacks are what put us over the budget- not necessarily the meals.

But then again- my family may be unique. I liked the thought of not having to worry about price. It was nice to say "get whatever you want" and not worry if there was enough money in the account.

Evilduckqueen is offline Annual Passholder

My fiance is a bottomless pit, so the Dining Plan is perfect for us
    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

arielfan316 is offline D-Ticket Holder

I used the Quick-Service plan last time I went to the World. I tend to eat alot so for me it was a good value, especially with the refillable resort mug. It depends on how much you eat as to if it's worth it for your trip.
    Visits to Disney:

February 2009: off-site 1 day trip to Epcot and Magic Kingdom

February 2010: All Star Movies 7 days, 6 nights of magic

February 2011: All Star Music 7 days, 6 nights of magic

September 2012: All Star Movies 4 days, 3 nights of magic

March 2013: All Star Movies 3 days, 2 nights of magic

April 2013: Pop Century 3 days, 2 night of magic

(Upcoming) January 2014 6 days, 5 nights of magic

ganeshagro is offline A-Ticket holder

It is true that dining plans are different & everybody chooes according to their family & what they want to have to eat. Some nuclear families want plans of double dining because they want to have many varieties.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Note: The QS Dining Plan for 2012 went from 2 snack credits down to one.

Basically the only way you are going to break even or come out a head is if you really would order dessert with your meal and be in your hotel enough to save money on the cups of soda. Dessert offerings at QS counters are not exactly the best desserts Disney has to offer. At least the FS restaurants have good offerings for dessert, though I am normally to full to enjoy.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.