Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss Tipping whilst on DDP in the Vacation Planning forums; For the first time in 2012 we have the dining plan and I have slightly off topic two questions regarding tipping I would value others view points. Being from the ...
    MissMEY is offline C-Ticket Holder

Tipping whilst on DDP

For the first time in 2012 we have the dining plan and I have slightly off topic two questions regarding tipping I would value others view points.

Being from the UK, when we go out in the UK we usually tip 10% however obviously when in the states we tip, when good service is received, 18 to 20%.

However, good service is not always received. My paranoia says could it be that we choose restaurants poorly or was it because other Brits tips have not been very good tippers and therefore the server didn't 'go the extra mile' for us thinking their tip would be low?

So first question is If you have bad/average service what would you usually tip and secondly is it normal to tip 18% on dining plan table service?

Thanks guys!

Staying at Old Key West & cruising on the Disney Fantasy

HOST AT THE MINNIE MINXES DISNEY PODCAST
    An all-female Disney podcast from the UK

www.facebook.com/theminnieminxesdisneypodcast
    Our Blog http://theminnieminxes.blogspot.co.uk Our Twitter@theminnieminxes

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Tipping whilst on DDP

It does vary in the US. 15 to 20% is typical. I agree, if they are really bad I can't reward that either.

The one thing I do caution...if you are not going to eat your dessert on the DDP because you are full, let it go. 2-4 desserts that you just play with isn't worth tipping on if you are not hungry after a big meal.
    Sometime we just get one and split it. Adding another $16-26 dollars to a total meal tip if you are not going to eat it isn't worth it.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Never thought of it that way... thanks :-)

kchughes is offline A-Ticket holder

Hi. New to this forum, but long time Lou fan. We never go without a dining plan. When I do our trip budget, I plan for 20% tips. However, I will certainly tip less if poor service. I have been known to leave less than 5 dollars just so the waitstaff knows I did not forget, but that the service is lousy. Hope that helps.

Evilduckqueen is offline Annual Passholder

We don't tip here, so it is going to be interesting having to remember to do it.
    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

Thanks... Can I ask any Americans that have worked in the service industry in the States whether us Brits have a bad name for our tipping?

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

I usually tip 15-20%. 15% if they do their job, 20% if they do a good job. If it was poor, I tip less and then talk to a manager.

Generally speaking, I wind up closer to 20% on average because I'm too lazy to do math Just move the decimal over to the left one digit and double. (So $75.00 would be $7.50 x 2 = $15. Ta da!)

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle

Prince Charming is offline B-Ticket Holder

The DDP receipt will come to your table with a "suggested tip" at 18% and 20% already calculated on the bottom section (no need to even do the math Kat)! Obviously you can adjust accordingly for service rendered, but I have usually had very good service so I follow their guidelines. I remember back in 2007, when the tip was actually included in the plan.

Welcome to the Magic Kingdom!

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Charming View Post
    The DDP receipt will come to your table with a "suggested tip" at 18% and 20% already calculated on the bottom section (no need to even do the math Kat)! Obviously you can adjust accordingly for service rendered, but I have usually had very good service so I follow their guidelines. I remember back in 2007, when the tip was actually included in the plan.
    Hah! I forgot about that. This past year I've had Tables In Wonderland...then you don't even need to worry about tip. 20% off, but 18% tip automatically added. Works for me!

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle

pinkemma666 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by MissMEY View Post
    Thanks... Can I ask any Americans that have worked in the service industry in the States whether us Brits have a bad name for our tipping?
    I thought we had a good rep for tipping because we don't tend to tip whilst at home in the UK but know that it's expected and appreciated in the States...or was that just in the 90's when we all started taking our first trips to Orlando?!

We always tip home and abroad based on the service we receive
    We may all grow old, but never grow up xx

Visit my blog at - www.daydreamingdisney.com

Facebook page - www.facebook.com/daydreamingdisney

Follow me on Twitter - @daydreamingdis

queensfairy is offline A-Ticket holder

I know this is an older post - but wanted to mention something about tipping good service vs bad etc.

Many of you discussed that if the service was poor you tipped less maybe even talked to a manager. But, if the service was good or above par, then you tipped accordingly. But, none of you mentioned going to the manager to talk about the great service you received. As a former 15+ year cast member - sometimes telling our managers is better then a 20% tip. There are cards you can fill out on a cast member excellent service. Once we accumulate certain #s of those cards - we are rewarded. If a certain # is received during the year - it is reflected in our annual review and ultimately, our raise. So, while 20% is nice. Taking the time out of your busy vacation to tell a member of management about your excellent service is WONDERFUL.

On a recent trip I stopped on the way out of California Grill to talk to the manager. Of course, the hostess that went and got the manager was worried about this being a guest complaint and therefore the manager was nervous when she approached me. I calmed her fears when I said I just wanted to compliment the service we received that evening. I was traveling in a group of 6. Occasionally, we all didn't want to eat at the same restaurants so we would break into smaller groups. But, because of me stopping to talk tot he manager our first night - I heard of my traveling companions doing the same throughout their trip.

It doesn't have to be only for your dinning experience. I encourage you that any time your receive excellent guest service - take a few moments to tell management Disney is known worldwide for their guest service. We pride ourselves in it. But, occasionally it's nice to be reminded that we did a good job.

vicki guppy is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by MissMEY View Post
    Could not be worse than being an Australian , we don't tip generally. So I am very aware of tipping in the USA . So if we receive very good service we ask for advice and generally people have been very helpful. The only resturant we have been in wdw and the service has been poor is California grill. We only left 10% and won't return.