Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss Free Dining Fall 2012 in the Vacation Planning forums; I was wondering if you think that Free Dining might make a comeback in Fall of 2012. I heard rumors that with the opening of the FantasyLand expansion in late ...
    Deveney is offline A-Ticket holder

Question Free Dining Fall 2012

I was wondering if you think that Free Dining might make a comeback in Fall of 2012. I heard rumors that with the opening of the FantasyLand expansion in late 2012 that Disney may not offer Free Dining for Fall 2012.

Historically how often DOES Disney offer Free Dining in the Fall?

Our Family has no problem paying for the DDP if need be, but it would be a nice bonus to be able to use that money for a few more Tshirts, Souveniers, etc. I mean the way I look at it, Disney WILL get the money regardless.

Prince Charming is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: Free Dining Fall 2012

Disney has been offering some form of regular promotion - free DDP, discount room, buy 4 nights get 1-3 free, etc. throughout the calendar year, since 2009. According to my travel agent, they target week(s) where their attendance is lower and add the promo so do not expect anything over a holiday week (e.g., Thanksgiving).

In the past three years, Disney has made their promo offer announcement for the Fall during the summer months. Even if you book now, they will allow you to revise your package up until 45 days before departure (I think) without a change fee.

Obviously the economic conditions of the country, the opening of the new section in Fantasyland, etc will impact their decision. The best advice is not to count on it and be pleasantly surprised at the "unexpected" windfall of extra spending money, if they make an offer available during your week.

Welcome to the Magic Kingdom!

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Word from one blogger is he thinks free DDP is dead and gone because of the upswing in park attendance. It is hard to argue with the fact that even though we are going through an economic downturn, that place is crazy busy. Tie that with the fact that Disney's plan to reduce the number of discounts available he has a strong argument.

I disagree though. I've been there during a free DDP during the "off season" and it was crazy. I think Disney will bring back free DDP in some form.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

brianjoe is offline B-Ticket Holder

hello all
    we got free dinningfor june 2012
    card came in the mail
    woeks out good because thats when we are going
    no matter where u you go there you are going to the world in june 2012

Congrats!
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    Word from one blogger is he thinks free DDP is dead and gone because of the upswing in park attendance. It is hard to argue with the fact that even though we are going through an economic downturn, that place is crazy busy. Tie that with the fact that Disney's plan to reduce the number of discounts available he has a strong argument.

I disagree though. I've been there during a free DDP during the "off season" and it was crazy. I think Disney will bring back free DDP in some form.
    I was thinking that this free dining nonsense will disappear once park attendance is back up, too. Crowds are up, but not to where they had been a decade or two ago. Disappearing free dining might indicate that crowds are much higher which, for the rest of us, would not be a good thing. I prefer lower crowds, even if it means bringing in more freeloaders.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

As PP have said, free dining tends to creep back up here and there so I don't think you'll have any issue with it creeping up again for 2012. That said, I also disagree with the blogger who says free dining is dead and gone because I'm pretty sure that, historically, in the long run, offering free dining (especially during off-peak period) probably results in more profit than not.

It's not only because of the people who only go when there is free dining (which definitely has an impact) but also because usually folks who get free dining end up coming with the same amount of spending money... they just spend it on souveniers or maybe upgrading to a moderate instead of a value resort etc. etc.

I know for us that's how it works. Our budget is the same regardless so free dining just means more goodies (and to be honest probably spending more than we would've without free dining).
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

disneyrunrchick is offline C-Ticket Holder

We've gone during free dining twice, once in 2011 and once in 2010. Both times the parks were pretty dead; I'm talking 5 minute waits for Everest, Tower of Terror, and Rock'N'Rollercoaster, Soarin' and Toystory Mania Fast Passes still available till noon (and sometimes later) dead. I don't know that Disney is losing a whole lot on that promo, so I'm thinking it will be back around.

However, I have another question. I used to get pin codes mailed and e-mailed to me. Now, I go more than ever, and I get nothing. What's up with that? How do I get back on that list???
    http://disneyrunnerchick.blogspot.com

This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good
    .-

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing- Walt Disney

There is no one on the planet to compare with moi.- Miss Piggy

TEN Trips... And counting!

Quote Originally Posted by disneyrunrchick View Post
    We've gone during free dining twice, once in 2011 and once in 2010. Both times the parks were pretty dead; I'm talking 5 minute waits for Everest, Tower of Terror, and Rock'N'Rollercoaster, Soarin' and Toystory Mania Fast Passes still available till noon (and sometimes later) dead. I don't know that Disney is losing a whole lot on that promo, so I'm thinking it will be back around.

However, I have another question. I used to get pin codes mailed and e-mailed to me. Now, I go more than ever, and I get nothing. What's up with that? How do I get back on that list???
    I'd like to know the secret to the pin code quesiton myself. I've heard theories from various blog posters who have various tips on how to get one. I've done them all and have never seen a code. Some people get codes all the time.

brianjoe is offline B-Ticket Holder

we got a 2 or three pin codes the year .....but never been able to use them until this year

we got free dining QSDP thinking of upgrading to the sit down DP for 14.00 a person per day
    has anyone done this before
    no matter where u you go there you are going to the world in june 2012

NavyMouse is offline A-Ticket holder

I did it last May. It is really the only way I will ever get to eat at that many table service restaurants in one trip. We ate at Cali Grill and our meals averaged $57 per person and we paid about $14 per person for a 20% tip so when you do the math we paid about $28 for a $71 meal. So when you factor in cost don't forget the tips for each meal. I would never pay for the dining plan. I would just do OOP if I couldn't get it for free but the upgrade was worth the experience!

NavyMouse is offline A-Ticket holder

I am currently baffled about this too because I randomly received a pin code for free dining the day I was calling to book my trip with travel agent. I have not received anything since and I am still signed up on the WDW website....even twice with two diff emails. I am planning a trip in Oct with aunt and her friend. A few days after my aunt invites her friend she sends me an email with a free dining pin code for this summer??? Why did I not receive that email offer?

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

Two things: the first is that Fall Free Dining was extended to Disney Visa holders this past week, it's rumored that it will be released to the general public on Monday 3/5.

The second is regarding pin offers: I've heard that if you request the DVD from Disney, it will increase your odds. Personally, I keep getting pin codes for my friend in my email. They have my email address down for her name because I booked a trip for both of us. She hasn't been back since that trip (not a fanatic like myself) and I've been back many times. So I think Disney knows how often we go and that we'll probably go back regardless of a PIN.

ETA: Make sure you do the math on free dining. Many times (especially with a moderate or deluxe) a room only discount is better. Not always the case, but it's good to do the math. My now husband and I went a few years ago for F&W, stayed in a Value and got free QSDP which saved us an additional $30/day over the room only.

Also, if you go to the parks a lot and are looking to save money on food, consider getting an AP to get the TiW card. Only one card is required for the table and it doesn't matter whose name is on the card when it comes time to pay, as long as that person is sitting at the table. I find that I like the flexibility of TiW since I'm not tied down to what comes with the DP (i.e. ordering dessert when I'd really prefer an app.) Of course, it doesn't make sense if you eat a lot of QS or don't go often enough for an AP...but otherwise, it's fantastic!
    Last edited by kat228; 03-04-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle

Kaifers is offline A-Ticket holder

Looks like free dinning is back.....

Since I am brand new I cant link anything.

I just wish they would do something like this for us Passholders.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Free Dining is always a welcome addition. Yesterday I noticed elsewhere that the new suites at Animation were for the time being anyhow not included in the "Free Dining" offer. Everyone seems to be guessing it is because Disney at this time is not having difficulties filling those suites so they don't need to offer the Free Dining incentive at that resort. Will be interesting to see how long that stays in effect.

Welcome to WDW Radio, hope you enjoy your time with us.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.