Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Dining Discuss Resort exploring/dining in the Vacation Planning forums; I will be going to WDW the tail-end of next week and would like to venture out of the parks to a resort to do some exploring and get a ...
    robotilus is offline A-Ticket holder

Resort exploring/dining

I will be going to WDW the tail-end of next week and would like to venture out of the parks to a resort to do some exploring and get a bite to eat. Most likely on the day we will be going to AK which closes at 7. Since I will have my wife and 3 kids (5,3,1), we will only have so much patience for traipsing across the property. Although we will have a vehicle.

Anyway, what I'm looking for is a recommendation on a Resort to visit that has great theming and we will be able to find something to eat for a reasonable price in a kid-friendly setting. We did something like this on our last trip by going to the Grand Floridian after a day at MK, but by the end of it we were at our wit's end due to the long trip on the monorail, it was cold, and the food at the cafe in the back wasn't that great although experiencing the lobby of the GF made it worth it. The hangup for me is not knowing where all the Resorts are relative to everything else. We are DLR people recently converted to WDW due to a job transfer so we are still learning the ropes.

Any suggestions.

missbounce is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Resort exploring/dining

If you're going to Animal Kingdom, why not finish your day off at Animal Kingdom Lodge? Boma is an all you can eat buffet which is delicious and the atmoshere is vibrant and a lot of fun. Also, the resort it's self is gorgeous and after dark, you and your kids will be able to go and watch the animals on the savannah with night-vision goggles, which is very cool.
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

*** PROUD CHARTER-DAY GOLD MEMBER OF D23! ***
    ***DISNEYLAND ANNUAL PASSHOLDER***

MY DISNEY TRIPS:
    October 2012 - Walt Disney World (Coronado Springs) Halloween, Food and Wine, Christmas Season ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2012 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2011 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Expo
    May 2011 - Walt Disney World (All Star Sports) D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary
    November 2010 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Bonfire Night Celebrations and Halloween Season
    September 2010 - Disneyland California (Disneyland Hotel and Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: Disneyland 55th Anniversary
    February 2010 - Walt Disney World (All Star Music and Polynesian Resort)
    May 2009 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Mickey's Magical Party
    October 2008 - Walt Disney World (All Star Movies, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge) Halloween and Food and Wine
    January 2008 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Christmas Season
    June 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Newport Bay Club) Disneyland Paris 15th Anniversary Celebrations
    January 2006 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Christmas Season
    September 2004 - Walt Disney World (Pop Century) Honeymoon

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Poly and Kona Cafe.

'nuff said...

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by missbounce View Post
    If you're going to Animal Kingdom, why not finish your day off at Animal Kingdom Lodge? Boma is an all you can eat buffet which is delicious and the atmoshere is vibrant and a lot of fun. Also, the resort it's self is gorgeous and after dark, you and your kids will be able to go and watch the animals on the savannah with night-vision goggles, which is very cool.
    I wholeheartedly agree with this one. Late at night and early morning the ducks often hit the shallow end of the zero depth pool area. It is cute if you catch it. The colors that pop in that hotel will likely even amuse the one year old and is a loud enough resturant that muffles little voices. Perfect. Food is really good.

At the far end of the pool deck is a great little deck for peeking at animals without the night vision too.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Poly and Kona Cafe.

'nuff said...
    Other VERY good suggestions... leaving the Poly afterwards is soooo hard though (my fave resort!).
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

MY DISNEY TRIPS:
    October 2012 - Walt Disney World (Coronado Springs) Halloween, Food and Wine, Christmas Season ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2012 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    May 2011 - Walt Disney World (All Star Sports) D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary
    November 2010 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Bonfire Night Celebrations and Halloween Season
    September 2010 - Disneyland California (Disneyland Hotel and Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: Disneyland 55th Anniversary
    October 2008 - Walt Disney World (All Star Movies, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge) Halloween and Food and Wine
    June 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Newport Bay Club) Disneyland Paris 15th Anniversary Celebrations

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Boma sounds good and welcome back MissBounce.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    Boma sounds good and welcome back MissBounce.
    Thank you!!! Boma's worth the visit just for the Zebra Domes - nom-nom!!
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

MY DISNEY TRIPS:

DVCDad is offline C-Ticket Holder

I'd go with the Epcot resort area. Lots to see, and a few restaurants to choose from.

Thanks for the input! I think we will definitely check out the AK lodge. In looking closer, I didn't realize how close the Epcot Resorts are to the park. I will probably try to convince my wife to stop over there when we are at Epcot just to get a closer look at all the resorts around that lake. All that architecture is right up our alley!

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...

I agree with AKL. It is gorgeous and they have a fun hidden Mickey sheet to do that you can pick up from the front desk. Boma is probably my favorite restaurant on property, but it is pricey. They also have a small food court syle place, but I don't know what they offer. Allears.net could provide you with a menu. Lots of places to view the animals too, kids would probably like that.
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by robotilus View Post
    Thanks for the input! I think we will definitely check out the AK lodge. In looking closer, I didn't realize how close the Epcot Resorts are to the park. I will probably try to convince my wife to stop over there when we are at Epcot just to get a closer look at all the resorts around that lake. All that architecture is right up our alley!

You should also try to hit that area after dark. Especially the Boardwalk.

And don't forget to stop in Beaches-n-Cream for a No Way Jose!

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

Am I too late for my post? A lot of people want to spend a ton of money to eat, and that's fine if you can. I've done it as well.But one place we found when we stayed there with really good food and cheaper in price, is at Everything's Pop Food Court at Pop Century resort. I know people thrive on eating at the moderate and deluxe resort restaurants, and I would too, if I could afford it,but I can't so I just wanted to share this as a means for some place that might get by passed a lot by those that can afford the better resorts.Very nostalgic and the food is really good. I do all the cooking at my home and watch food shows all the time and this stuff is good.At least to me.
    Park Hopper Dad!

I thought I would post a follow-up in case anyone is wondering. It ended up raining everyday we were at the Parks. This hampered any plans we had of visiting the AK Lodge since we got completely soaked leaving the Park which was ok since the recommendation to eat at the buffet would have cost us over $100 and our 3 and 5 year old aren't big eaters.

However, by the last day, which we spent in Epcot, we had some time to jump over to the Boardwalk Hotels. We survived the rain by standing under the awnings at the Bakery enjoying the greates Eclair of all time and a massive chocolate cupcake. We then explored the Lobby's of the Boardwalk Inn and Yacht Club Resort. We finished the afternoon off eating at Beaches N Cream. It was good food and affordable. The kids split a hamburger and our server brought them each their own ice cream. By the time we were done it was time to head back to Epcot for Illuminations.

Overall, it was a great time. We got to see all the Resort in that area up close and in the daytime and nighttime. If I did it again, I would just try to eat dinner before dessert!

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by robotilus View Post
    I thought I would post a follow-up in case anyone is wondering. It ended up raining everyday we were at the Parks. This hampered any plans we had of visiting the AK Lodge since we got completely soaked leaving the Park which was ok since the recommendation to eat at the buffet would have cost us over $100 and our 3 and 5 year old aren't big eaters.

However, by the last day, which we spent in Epcot, we had some time to jump over to the Boardwalk Hotels. We survived the rain by standing under the awnings at the Bakery enjoying the greates Eclair of all time and a massive chocolate cupcake. We then explored the Lobby's of the Boardwalk Inn and Yacht Club Resort. We finished the afternoon off eating at Beaches N Cream. It was good food and affordable. The kids split a hamburger and our server brought them each their own ice cream. By the time we were done it was time to head back to Epcot for Illuminations.

Overall, it was a great time. We got to see all the Resort in that area up close and in the daytime and nighttime. If I did it again, I would just try to eat dinner before dessert!

Sounds good.Even though it appears your eating plans were more for the more expensive places;did you read and/or consider the food court at POP Century as I posted earlier? I understand if eating at the top-knotch restaurants was your plan all along,but if it wasn't entirely,did ya get to check out the food at POP? Just wondering.
    Park Hopper Dad!

Glad you had a great time, and Beaches and Cream is always a fun place to stop and eat. :-)
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

MY DISNEY TRIPS:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast