Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss Odd eating requests in the Vacation Planning forums; So I decided to post this as a place where questions can get answered on some odd dining requests that we need taken care of. This is because my family ...
    alwayswdw is offline A-Ticket holder
    West coast of America, crossin' the fingers though for WDW :-)

Odd eating requests

So I decided to post this as a place where questions can get answered on some odd dining requests that we need taken care of.
    This is because my family and I have one. My family and I are vegetarian/mostly vegan and we need to know what places in the world would be good to go to for us to eat.
    I know if we make reservations for places we could tell them about this, but we don't want to worry about having to make reservations and maybe having to give up our fastpasses just to make sure we make it.
    HELP!

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Odd eating requests

If you check out All Ears here: http://allears.net/din/dining.htm On the left hand side there's a few links to dining Vegetarian in WDW

Sanaa, Boma, 'Ohana, and Babycakes all have good reputations.

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Maybe to make things just a little easier for you too... when you make your ADRs one of the things they ask is if you have any special food situations like that and they do their best to accomodate. So, while I definitely agree with kat in taking a look through the AllEars stuff and looking at the menus, it doesn't hurt to call and ask too. Sometimes even places that aren't a perfect fit can be made into one.

One example is I recently saw at a buffet that a member of a dining party next to us had some special non-meat sausage brought out to her as well as some other stuff. Obviously they can't change what's on the menu or on the buffet but most restaurants, at least the table service ones, are great at accomodating special requests/needs for people who may have special dietary needs or even allergies.
    Last edited by BamaJenn; 05-09-2012 at 01:11 PM.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

missbounce is offline Fastpass Holder

We have a similiar situation with our family in October - my mum is a strict veggie (no fish or meat of any kind), so we're having to pick our restaurans VERY carefully to make sure she eats well over the two weeks. One thing that will be interesting is that we are going to O'Hana, which is primarily a meat-feast. Hoping they will be able to do something decent vegetarian for her so that she's not just stuck eating a bowl of edamame, or similar.
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

*** PROUD CHARTER-DAY GOLD MEMBER OF D23! ***
    ***DISNEYLAND ANNUAL PASSHOLDER***

MY DISNEY TRIPS:
    October 2012 - Walt Disney World (Coronado Springs) Halloween, Food and Wine, Christmas Season ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2012 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2011 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Expo
    May 2011 - Walt Disney World (All Star Sports) D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary
    November 2010 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Bonfire Night Celebrations and Halloween Season
    September 2010 - Disneyland California (Disneyland Hotel and Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: Disneyland 55th Anniversary
    February 2010 - Walt Disney World (All Star Music and Polynesian Resort)
    May 2009 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Mickey's Magical Party
    October 2008 - Walt Disney World (All Star Movies, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge) Halloween and Food and Wine
    January 2008 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Christmas Season
    June 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Newport Bay Club) Disneyland Paris 15th Anniversary Celebrations
    January 2006 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Christmas Season
    September 2004 - Walt Disney World (Pop Century) Honeymoon

tasha36 is offline Dreaming....

Am going in 2013 with my brother and his family who are all vegetarian. Can see from the menus that the adults will be ok but what about the children? Does anyone have any experience of this?
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs
    2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2014 - Whole family trip! (Thanks Dad!)
    2015 - Three trips in a row?? Fingers crossed

alwayswdw is offline A-Ticket holder
    West coast of America, crossin' the fingers though for WDW :-)

Thanks guys! I can't wait to try out all of the places you guys reccomended!

prickle is offline Fastpass Holder

Never have had special requests, my question is; does Disney charge more for special requests?

johnatthebar is offline C-Ticket Holder

Table service restaurants are (generally speaking) very accommodating. Come armed with suggestions. I've found often times if you don't have some (reasonable) suggestions at hand, you will end up with pasta and veggies for every meal. Ohana actually has a pretty good reputation for this.

Some restaurants are better than others, some chefs are as well. Counter service can be a bit more challenging but there are many good options depending on the park/restaurant. Counter service restaurants always have binders with ingredients lists for all items. Don't just ask a manager what items are vegan (though this can be a helpful query), check the list. The vegetable chili in Columbia Harbor House (for one example) is vegan, but you have to ask them NOT to put oyster crackers on top. The menu makes no mention of this, and the staff usually doesn't realize it.

I highly recommend BabyCakesNYC in Downtown Disney. Whether or not you have dietary restrictions their items are all fabulous, as is their staff. Their treats are all vegan, gluten free, and kosher. Many of their items are also free of soy and refined sugars. If you are celebrating a special occasion you can even arrange for a cake from BabyCakesNYC to be enjoyed at your table service restaurant of choice, just remember to arrange this in advance. Check them out, you won't be sorry.

Oh, and there are no extra charges for special dining requests.

Sorry for the scattered sounding answers.

Billy
    @monorailmedic

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I noticed this trip, we were asked often 3 separate times at the sit down restaurants if we had any special food concerns. First when ressies were made, then asked at the dining check in for ADR's, finally our wait staff asked when taking drink orders. We saw the Chef pop out often at various tables.

While we had seen the Chef pop out here and there over various trips, there just seemed to be a larger effort on Disney's part to accommodate and catch food requirements.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.