Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Dining Discuss Tonga Toast- where to get it? in the Vacation Planning forums; I've had the Poly's famous Tonga Toast at Kona Cafe and totally love it. However, I know that Captain Cook's has it for breakfast in the morning also. Does anyone ...
    Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...

Tonga Toast- where to get it?

I've had the Poly's famous Tonga Toast at Kona Cafe and totally love it. However, I know that Captain Cook's has it for breakfast in the morning also. Does anyone know if there is any noticeable difference between the two? We're headed for WDW in August, and I have to get my fill of Tonga Toast while we're there, but if Captain Cook's is just as good as Kona's, we may as well go there and save $$, since Kona is more expensive.
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Tonga Toast- where to get it?

The only difference is that Kona's comes with a strawberry compote and the Captain Cook's version does not.

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Isn't the one at Captain Cook's slightly less expensive as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Yeah, that's why I was wondering if there was any difference in the way that the two taste/are made. No sense in going to Kona when I can get the exact same thing for a cheaper price somewhere else.
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

eeyore79 is offline Missing "HOME"

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper10 View Post
    I've had the Poly's famous Tonga Toast at Kona Cafe and totally love it. However, I know that Captain Cook's has it for breakfast in the morning also. Does anyone know if there is any noticeable difference between the two? We're headed for WDW in August, and I have to get my fill of Tonga Toast while we're there, but if Captain Cook's is just as good as Kona's, we may as well go there and save $$, since Kona is more expensive.
    jealous...still havent tried this yet! was meaning to on our trip, never made it to the Poly!!
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes..."

http://mydreamingcorner.blogspot.com/

Me (Jamie) - 34 DD (Kayla) - 7

TRIP REPORT AUGUST 2011 http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...l=1#post972048

Yeah, that too!

Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    ~Sam Eagle

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Yeah, that's why I was wondering if there was any difference in the way that the two taste/are made. No sense in going to Kona when I can get the exact same thing for a cheaper price somewhere else.
    OK.

According to AllEars.net, these are the differences:

Kona: Tonga Toast - banana stuffed sourdough bread, rolled in cinnamon sugar and served with Strawberry Compote and your choice of ham, bacon, or sausage $12.99

Captain Cook's: Tonga Toast - banana-stuffed sourdough bread, battered, deep-fried and dusted with cinnamon and sugar $5.19

So, all things considered, the price for the actual Tonga Toast itself is probably comparable. Just depends on whether you want it by itself, or with accouterments.

Personally, I prefer a light breakfast when at WDW. YMMV...

BTW, two more things.

1. All Ears has the best, and most up to date menus I've ever found online.

2. If you want a truly knockout lunch without putting a major dent in your wallet, you've GOT to hit the Kona. Likely the best "bang for the buck" restaurant on property. Honestly.

OK.

According to AllEars.net, these are the differences:

Kona: Tonga Toast - banana stuffed sourdough bread, rolled in cinnamon sugar and served with Strawberry Compote and your choice of ham, bacon, or sausage $12.99

Captain Cook's: Tonga Toast - banana-stuffed sourdough bread, battered, deep-fried and dusted with cinnamon and sugar $5.19

So, all things considered, the price for the actual Tonga Toast itself is probably comparable. Just depends on whether you want it by itself, or with accouterments.

Personally, I prefer a light breakfast when at WDW. YMMV...
    Thanks. I usually prefer a light breakfast too, but Tonga Toast is so filling by itself that that is probably out of the question no matter which place I get it from, lol.

I agree, Allears is great when it comes to dining info/menus. Have only done Kona for breakfast before, maybe I'll have to get my Tonga from Capt Cook's and then save the Kona for lunch one day. I've heard great things about it from others as well.
    -Amanda

-Walt Disney

If you go to Kona, try splitting the fruit plate and Tonga Toast with someone you're with. I can't eat Tonga Toast on my own without feeling sluggish all day. It's like having a loaf of bread sit in your stomach.

There's a lack of pictures on this thread to ogle.

Fruit Plate

Tonga Toast

Macadamia Nut Pancakes

Ham & Cheese Omlette
    Last edited by kat228; 06-15-2012 at 10:38 PM.

~Sam Eagle

Thanks. I usually prefer a light breakfast too, but Tonga Toast is so filling by itself that that is probably out of the question no matter which place I get it from, lol.

I agree, Allears is great when it comes to dining info/menus. Have only done Kona for breakfast before, maybe I'll have to get my Tonga from Capt Cook's and then save the Kona for lunch one day. I've heard great things about it from others as well.
    The sushi bar off to the side is of surprisingly high quality as well. They only open in the late afternoon/early evening, though. Highly recommended if you're a fan of sushi.

Kiliki is offline A-Ticket holder

Is there anywhere else to get Tonga Toast, besides Captain Cooks and Kona?
    Also - strange question - how "bananaish" is it? I have a minor sensitivity to bananas... I love it in small doses, but when there's a LOT of banana in something I get sick.... but since I've heard such rave reviews about this stuff, I want to try it, as long as there's not too much banana.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
    Is there anywhere else to get Tonga Toast, besides Captain Cooks and Kona?
    Also - strange question - how "bananaish" is it? I have a minor sensitivity to bananas... I love it in small doses, but when there's a LOT of banana in something I get sick.... but since I've heard such rave reviews about this stuff, I want to try it, as long as there's not too much banana.
    Only Captain Cooks and Kona has it to my knowledge.

I don't find it overly banana-y. I can't eat a banana without feeling sick to my stomach if I have the fruit alone, but I was okay with it in the Tonga Toast.

I would recommend splitting it if you can!

~Sam Eagle

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

My ex had the Tonga Toast at Kona. Once. Got real sick afterwards and has not gone back since.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

TXTaylors5 is offline Fastpass Holder

You can get it at HOME!!!
    Two years ago, my hubby started making me Tonga Toast at home for Mother's Day. This was before we had ever eaten at Kona Cafe. But, we had heard people rave about the Tonga Toast. "You've gotta try it!" So, Bill went online and found the recipe. OMG!!! It was soooo yummy and sugary & cinnamonny (is that a word??? LOL!). I had to make an ADR at the Kona Cafe for our next WDW trip to try the "real" Tonga Toast.

So, we finally made it to Kona Cafe during our last WDW trip. You know what??? Bill's was 10xs better!!! Maybe, because it's made with love and care. He used the Disney recipe. But, for some reason it didn't taste "as good". Now, don't get me wrong. I cleaned my plate! But, I've had better.

While at the Kona Cafe, I noticed the servers coming out with the other guests plates of food. They looked hearty and good. So, in spite of the let down of the infamous Tonga Toast, we will be going back to the Kona Cafe and try some of their other breakfasts.

In case y'all want it . . .

Tonga Toast

(Serves 4)

Ingredients:
    Sugar-Cinnamon Ingredients:
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    2 teaspoons cinnamon

Batter Ingredients:
    4 large eggs
    1 1/3 cup whole milk
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 tablespoon granulated sugar

Tonga Toast Ingredients:
    1 quart canola oil, for frying
    1 loaf sourdough bread (uncut, 12 inches long)
    2 large bananas, peeled

Instructions:
    For cinnamon-sugar:
    1. Mix sugar and cinnamon in medium bowl (large enough to roll toast) with a fork until thoroughly blended. Set aside.

For batter:
    1. Whip eggs in medium bowl (large enough to dip toast) until well beaten. Add milk, cinnamon, and sugar. Mix well and set aside.

For Tonga toast:
    1. Preheat oil to 350 degrees F in a large pot or a deep fryer. (If using a large pot, use a candy thermometer to make certain the oil does not get any hotter or it will burn.)
    2. Slice the bread into four three-inch-thick slices.
    3. Cut each banana in half crosswise, then each piece lengthwise.
    4. Place a bread slice flat on the counter and tear out just enough from the middle (do not tear all the way through) to stuff half a banana into; repeat with each bread slice.
    5. Dip stuffed bread into batter, covering both sides, allowing excess batter to drip off bread and place carefully into hot oil.
    6. Cook 4-5 minutes until golden brown. If needed, turn toast over after 2 minutes and cook for another 2 minutes on other side. Remove and drain excess oil.
    7. Roll toast in cinnamon-sugar. Repeat for each piece of toast.

Bon Appetit!
    Jennifer Bill (DisneyTaylors) Will (12) Emily (10) Cole (7)
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)
    2014: 06/DCL ~ Alaska (Wonder), 10/DCL ~ Southern Caribbean (Magic)

"Sparkly"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast