Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
Dining Discuss Starbucks, coffee without Main St. Bakery in the Vacation Planning forums; Disney has announced the location of the first two coffee shops. In the Magic Kingdom the Main Street Bakery will be closing in January and re-opening after a long refurbishment ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Starbucks, coffee without Main St. Bakery

Disney has announced the location of the first two coffee shops.

In the Magic Kingdom the Main Street Bakery will be closing in January and re-opening after a long refurbishment in the summer of 2013 as Starbucks. Starbucks will serve their variety of breakfast sandwiches, signature drinks, muffins and special treats.

At Epcot, Starbucks will appear at Fountain View. FV will close in March 2013 and also come out of the shorter refurbishment in the Summer of 2013 serving the same fare as the Starbucks in the Magic Kingdom.

CM's will not wear traditional Starbucks uniforms but will be outfitted in costumes reflective of their surrounds of their particular park setting.

AK and DHS Starbucks locations will be announced shortly.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

Re: Starbucks, coffee without Main St. Bakery

I love the smell of coffee but not sure I want to see the lines for this Starbucks! lol Will there be a fast pass option?

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

I'm not a coffee drinker at all so I don't plan on drinking Starbucks products. I have heard on many a forum that the WDW coffee was subpar. I just don't see why you can't serve Starbucks coffee in MSB and leave it as is. Main Street USA doesn't need a Starbucks and their half-caf, extra mocha garbage. Main Street was to be a nostalgic look back at the main street of Smalltown, USA to help escape the real world. I see plenty of Starbucks shops in my travels, I've only seen one Main Street Bakery.

The line has to be drawn somewhere. How long before Casey's is repalced by Subway or Pecos Bill is transformed into a Five Guys Burgers and Fries?
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

There's been a petition started to try and stop this. Follow link.

http://www.change.org/petitions/walt...th-a-starbucks
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    There's been a petition started to try and stop this. Follow link.

http://www.change.org/petitions/walt...th-a-starbucks

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. I want to know how many people who are whining and complaining about it have actually seen the one at DCA. Because it is so nicely done. You seriously wouldn't know it was a Starbucks until you start reading the menu.

Because I refuse to type this up again, here's my rant from the DFB facebook page:

Why is everyone so upset about this? When it was first announced that Starbucks was coming to the Parks, it was received positively. And personally, when I thought, "if I were running things, where would I put Starbucks in the Magic Kingdom?" I immediately thought that I would put it at the Main Street Bakery. I could understand if they were putting in a Starbucks that resembled the one down the street from me, but it will be themed. If you look at the one at DCA, it's done in the right era - so the argument that it doesn't "fit Main St USA" aren't founded. And quite frankly, you wouldn't even notice it's a Starbucks until you read the menu. Plus, they don't just serve Starbucks items, they still have Disney baked goods and sandwiches (which c'mon, wouldn't it be great to get an additional GOOD lunch-time option in the MK?!) Another argument I've seen in this thread is that Walt is rolling over in his grave...seriously?! They had plenty of stores on Main St in DL when it opened that *gasp* were not run by Disney. So calm down. I don't even like Starbucks that much, but after seeing the one in DCA, I really cannot get worked up over this. There are plenty of corporate sponsors in the Parks...Coke, Dole, Kodak, Nestle, Edy's, Siemens, Chevy...and that's just off the top of my head.

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by kat228 View Post
    That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. I want to know how many people who are whining and complaining about it have actually seen the one at DCA. Because it is so nicely done. You seriously wouldn't know it was a Starbucks until you start reading the menu.

Because I refuse to type this up again, here's my rant from the DFB facebook page:

Why is everyone so upset about this? When it was first announced that Starbucks was coming to the Parks, it was received positively. And personally, when I thought, "if I were running things, where would I put Starbucks in the Magic Kingdom?" I immediately thought that I would put it at the Main Street Bakery. I could understand if they were putting in a Starbucks that resembled the one down the street from me, but it will be themed. If you look at the one at DCA, it's done in the right era - so the argument that it doesn't "fit Main St USA" aren't founded. And quite frankly, you wouldn't even notice it's a Starbucks until you read the menu. Plus, they don't just serve Starbucks items, they still have Disney baked goods and sandwiches (which c'mon, wouldn't it be great to get an additional GOOD lunch-time option in the MK?!) Another argument I've seen in this thread is that Walt is rolling over in his grave...seriously?! They had plenty of stores on Main St in DL when it opened that *gasp* were not run by Disney. So calm down. I don't even like Starbucks that much, but after seeing the one in DCA, I really cannot get worked up over this. There are plenty of corporate sponsors in the Parks...Coke, Dole, Kodak, Nestle, Edy's, Siemens, Chevy...and that's just off the top of my head.
    I don't know that I've ever seen you ever be so harsh.

I don't know that I'd say everyone is whining per say. And likely you know that the vast majority of the fans that visit WDW haven't been to Disneyland since Starbucks opened in the last few months though some have for Cars more than Starbucks. The fans of Disneyland also pitched a fit when this was originally announced. As it was put in an interview with Disney Media Relations, the compromise was to put in Starbucks beverages and breakfast sandwiches and in addition a selection of Disney sandwiches and treats. So sometimes as you put it the whining and complaining does partially payoff and Disney compromises, sometimes.

I thought this official statement was kind of reflective of a typical response we've been accustomed to. The line of guests told us and Starbucks being important to them (guests). I'm sorry it made me laugh.

“We look forward to offering Starbucks products at Disney Parks. Many guests told us that having Starbucks available during their vacation is important to them and this is another example of how we bring their feedback to life at our destinations,” said Suzi Brown, director of media relations and external communication at Disneyland.

She made me Gag with that!

Likely, it is more guests continued to complain about the horrid Nescafe. Unless Disney is going to swap out Nescafe for Starbucks at all the Nescafe spots this still doesn't solve the morning cup of coffee or the need to go to the front of the park for coffee that is acceptable and the prices are certainly higher than even Disney prices are for a cup of Joe.

I've waited out a few days to comment here. I am a fan of Starbucks flavored hot coffees as a treat later in the day. Not so much of their regular hot coffee. I tend to need to add cream to cut the harshness. I am a big coffee drinker in the morning hours and frankly am happier with Joffery's version of regular coffee over Starbucks. After looking at the prices of food and beverages at Starbucks CA and Main Street, Magic Kingdom it doesn't seem to be a wash by any financial means in food or beverage.

I understand Disney's long history in branding but I am not a fan. I wasn't thrilled with McDonald at Downtown Disney or the Golden Arches/cart in Frontierland. I do find it rather puzzling that Disney just hasn't learned to brew a decent cup of coffee all on their own after all these years.

And if this is Disney's solution, my dream would have been to open it up elsewhere, there are other spots that could have gone, my favorite being from Lori, putting Starbucks at Noodles Terrace and leave the Bakery alone. DHS has two sweet shops, so could the MK. I think if Starbucks took over Noodles Terrace in lieu of the Bakery everyone would be happier.

Last edited by HauntedGabe; 11-11-2012 at 10:23 PM.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

I'm not a coffee drinker at all so I don't plan on drinking Starbucks products. I have heard on many a forum that the WDW coffee was sub par.
    Sub par is too nice! It is rot gut and I am a huge coffee drinker. It is just nasty.

The line has to be drawn somewhere. How long before Casey's is replaced by Subway or Pecos Bill is transformed into a Five Guys Burgers and Fries?
    And that is where I am. With the ease of Starbucks conversion really any food or beverage establishment could be targeted. In the late 80's/early 90's Disney contracted out food prep in many of the QS establishments and it was awful. Sadly, the CM's still have to endure that food in many of their employee dining areas. Bluck.

Here are All Ears Menus. Come summer we will have to compare both the food offerings and prices that come to Main Street Florida.
    Main Street Bakery
    Magic Kingdom
    Fast Snack

[URL="http://allears.net/print/printpage.php"]]

Menu Date: July 2012

Quick Service Plan Breakfast Meal: Choice of non-alcoholic beverage
    One whole Fruit, 1 Pastry/Bagel

Continental and Hot Breakfast Selections, Gourmet Sandwiches, Desserts (available a la mode), Assorted Cookies (featuring Nestle Toll House Cookies), Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich from $1.99 - $6.09
    Frozen Strawberry and Cream Smoothie $4.09
    Frozen Latte $4.09
    Speciality Coffees $3.19 and $2.69

Menu Features

Ham and Cheese $6.99
    Turkey and Cheese $6.99
    Tomato Mozzarella $6.99
    Egg, Ham, and Cheese Croissant $5.99
    Apple Turnover $2.69
    Croissant $2.29
    Chocolate Crossant $2.79
    Muffin $2.59
    Fruit Cup $3.39
    Crumb Cake $3.29
    Warm Cinammon Roll $3.99
    Cereal $1.99
    Yogurt Parfait $4.29
    Hard Boiled Eggs (2) $2.59
    Smuckers Uncrustable $2.49
    Fresh Grapes $3.99
    Assorted Cookies $2.19
    Eclair $3.59
    Jelly Roll $3.59
    Gourmet Cupcakes $4.99
    Assorted Danish $2.69
    Banana Bread Pudding $3.29
    Cinnamon Roll $3.99
    Chocolate-Chip Brownie $3.29
    Chocolate Walnut Brownie $3.29
    Typical selections may also include:
    Fresh fruit (cantaloupe or strawberries)
    Cheesecake (plain or with strawberries)
    Snickers cheesecake
    Fruit tart
    Tomato Buffalo Mozzarella Sandwich with Basil
    Dirt & worms
    Chocolate mousse cake
    Napoleon
    Chocolate and chocolate chip muffin Chocolate
    Mickey Bundt cake (chocolate or yellow)
    Blueberry bread loaf
    Bear claw
    Carrot cake
    Apple Charlotte
    Cupcake
    Macaroon
    Cinnamon muffin
    Banana nut bread
    Cinnamon roll
    Warm banana bread pudding
    Rice Krispie treats

Croissants $2.29 - $2.79
    Double Chocolate Muffin, Blueberry Muffin $2.79
    Strawberry Smoothie $4.19
    Frozen Latte $4.19
    Cappuccino or Latte $3.39
    Espresso $2.69
    Coffee $2.09
    Iced Coffee (French vanilla, Mocha or Latte) $3.99
    Chocolate Milk $2.19
    Whole Milk or Soy Milk $2.19
    Hot Cocoa $2.09
    Hot Tea $2.09
    Orange Juice $2.39
    Apple Juice $1.99
    Sodas - Coke Classic, Diet Coke, Sprite, Barq's Root Beer, Minute Maid Lemonade Light, and Fanta Orange $2.59 & $2.89
    Iced Tea $2.19 and $2.49
    Bottled Water $2.50

and here is All Ears Menu For Starbucks Fiddler at DCA:

Fiddler, Fifer, & Practical Cafe
    Buena Vista Street
    Disney California Adventure

Menu Date: June 2012
    Hot Sandwiches

Served with Pickle and House Chips
    Roast Beef and Cheddar Sandwich - Tender Roast Beef, Creamy Horseradish Sauce, Cheddar Cheese Sauce on a Garlic-Chive Bun. $9.69
    Turkey Rueben Sandwich - Turkey, Sauerkraut, Swiss Cheese and Signature Sauce on Rye Bread. $9.69
    Paneer & Roasted Vegetable Sandwich - Marinated Paneer Cheese, Roasted Vegetables, and Spicy Tomato Sauce on Toasted Garlic Naan Bread. $8.99

Cold Sandwiches

Served with Pickle and House Chips
    Salami Royale Sandwich - Layers of Salami, Fennel Salami, Sopressata, Provolone & Asiago Cheeses, Pepperoncini, Red Onions and Olive Tapenade on Ciabatta Bread. $8.99

Soup of the Day

Two Soups Offered Daily $5.49
    Cheese Enchilada
    Vegetarian Cream Spinach

Frappuccino Blended Beverages

Choose Milk: Whole, 2% or Nonfat. Organic Soymilk +59
    Coffee: Decaf, Extra Coffee +49, Espresso Shot +79
    Calories: No Whip, Light - 1/3 fewer calories

Coffee tall 12oz/grande 16 oz/venti 24 oz
    Caramel 4.29/4.99/5.49
    Mocha 4.29/4.99/5.49
    Java Chip 4.29/4.99/5.49
    Coffee 3.59/4.29/4.99
    White Chocolate Mocha 4.29/4.99/5.49
    Mocha Light 4.29/4.99/5.49

Creme (Coffee-Free) tall 12oz/grande 16 oz/venti 24 oz
    Vanilla Bean 3.59/4.29/4.99
    Strawberries & Creme 4.29/4.99/5.49
    Double Chocolaty Chip 4.29/4.99/5.49
    Green Tea 4.29/4.99/5.49

Espresso

Make it Yours
    Try it Skinny: Nonfat Milk, Sugar-Free Syrup, No Whip
    Flavor: +49 Vanilla, Hazelnut, Caramel or Peppermint
    Espresso Shot +79
    Organic Soymilk +59

tall 12oz/grande 16 oz/venti 24 oz
    Caramel Macchiato 4.59/5.19/5.39
    White Chocolate Mocha 3.99/4.79/4.99
    Cinnamon Dolce Latte 3.99/4.79/4.99
    Caffe Latte 3.49/3.99/4.39
    Caffe Mocha 3.79/4.49/4.89
    Vanilla Latte 3.79/4.49/4.89
    Skinny Vanilla Latte 3.79/4.49/4.89
    Caffe Americano 2.79/2.99/3.29
    Cappuccino 3.49/3.99/4.39

Espresso solo 2.49, doppio 3.19

Coffee, Tazo Tea & More

tall 12oz/grande 16 oz/venti 24 oz
    Freshly Brewed Coffee - Regular or Decaf 2.69/2.79/3.09
    Tazo Chai Tea Latte 3.49/4.29/4.49
    Full-Leaf Tazo Tea 2.69/2.79/3.09
    Hot Chocolate 2.99/3.39/3.69
    Kids' Hot Chocolate - 12 and Under 8 oz. 2.89

Smoothies

Blended with a Whole Banana & Whey Protein (Contains Dairy)
    Strawberry, Mango, or Chocolate 4.99

Iced Coffee & Iced Tazo Tea

tall 12oz/grande 16 oz/venti 24 oz/trenta 31 oz
    Iced Coffee 2.69/2.79/3.09/3.49
    Iced Coffee with Milk 2.39/2.79/3.09/3.49
    Shaken Iced Tazo Tea 2.49/2.79/3.09/3.29
    Iced Tazo Tea Lemonade 2.99/3.49/3.99/4.29

Coke, diet Coke, Coke Zero, Sprite, Lite Lemonade, Fanta Orange, Iced Tea Regular $2.99, Large $3.49
    Water $2.79
    Apple or Orange Juice $2.29
    Chocolate or Strawberry Milk $2.79
    Milk $1.79

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I don't know that I've ever seen you ever be so harsh.
    My bad. I posted right after my Eagles lost to the awful Cowboys. I should know better.

I'm not a Coffee person. On rare occasions I stop by Starbucks and grab a coffee loaded with sugar and cream...not even once month, so I'm not a Starbucks "supporter" certainly.

I just can't get that worked up over it. My guess is that whether or not Starbucks was coming into the Parks, Main Street Bakery was due for a refurbishment. Once they got rid of the delicious French Toast Loaf, I haven't had anything there that I thought was anything unique or noteworthy. (Yes, people rave about the Cinnamon Buns, but I've never been crazy about them - and they just put them at Gaston's Tavern.)

I've also seen the one in DCA first hand and I know it matches the theming perfectly, so I'm not worried about that.

I think expressing displeasure at a decision is one thing, but calling for a petition to make a business change things is a little over the top. And some of the arguments I've seen against it are quite ridiculous (that Main Street is "sacred" ground...really?) I'm just flabbergasted at the anger over this announcement. They're replacing a Bakery with a Coffee shop AND bakery. It's not like they're pulling out Pirates and putting it in there.

Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    ~Sam Eagle

My bad. I posted right after my Eagles lost to the awful Cowboys. I should know better.
    Right there with ya, did you catch my Bears last night.

I think expressing displeasure at a decision is one thing, but calling for a petition to make a business change things is a little over the top. And some of the arguments I've seen against it are quite ridiculous (that Main Street is "sacred" ground...really?) I'm just flabbergasted at the anger over this announcement. They're replacing a Bakery with a Coffee shop AND bakery. It's not like they're pulling out Pirates and putting it in there.
    I think a lot of guests just really love the bakery and it was never billed as a coffee shop. So many great associations with it, good stuff, rare to hear a complaint about that snack shop. You could generally get in and out of there quickly unlike most Starbucks. My thoughts are more don't fix what isn't broken. Enter my thought on Noodles location idea, it is broke, useless, put Starbucks there. Nothing at the Fountain location in Epcot ever gelled. DHS, Sids is more a museum verses an successful store, Starbucks perfect there. AK, I'm hard pressed to think of where they would put it in the Oasis unless they built from scratch, they'd almost have to go all the way in toward Discovery Island to find a building to re-purpose that is large enough, indoors with A/C.

Petitions rarely if ever work with Disney. Likely all the contracts are signed with Starbucks. What is offered within the Starbucks could be altered. Yet Disney has a habit of just eliminating items from menus so after all the huffing and puffing resulting in getting some Bakery staples into the new Starbucks at DL, those baked goods could get pulled as time goes on.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 11-12-2012 at 01:31 PM.

My biggest concern is seeing beloved WDW locations changed into chains. The eateries at our local amusement park, Kings Island, have almost all been taken over by chains. There's a Subway, LaRosa's Pizza, Skyline Chili, etc have all taken hold there.

My biggest concern is seeing beloved WDW locations changed into chains. The eateries at our local amusement park, Kings Island, have almost all been taken over by chains. There's a Subway, LaRosa's Pizza, Skyline Chili, etc have all taken hold there.
    That's fair. I think most chains don't have enough brand recognition to give up their theming though. I mean, we saw McDonald's in the Parks, and that worked to an extent, but they're no longer there. I'm not sure places like Subway would survive because it wouldn't *look* like a Subway in Disney World.

I think Starbucks works because they have a presence outside of their retail stores. You see Starbucks coffee in super markets, so they're able to thrive without their signature "look." That allows Disney to work with them to create an environment that flows seamlessly into the Parks. I also don't think that there are many chains willing to give up their look.

As I mentioned, after seeing the one in DCA, it's hard to tell that you're walking into a Starbucks until you read the menu. And honestly, that's the only reason I'm okay with it. I would probably jump on the bandwagon if I truly believed Disney was just going to dump in a Starbucks that I see on every corner. It wouldn't fit on Main Street for sure. And I was a little apprehensive at first, but after seeing how they've executed it, I'm not worried.

~Sam Eagle

Additional information posted:

Starbucks Locations at Magic Kingdom Park, Epcot Set to Open Next Year Disney Parks Blog

UPDATE 11/12: Here’s some additional information about our Walt Disney World Resort Starbucks locations. The Main Street Bakery will keep its name and theming when it reopens in early summer. It’ll also continue to serve Disney favorites like cookies, brownies and seasonal cupcakes, in addition to Starbucks signature beverages and other items. And for those of you who asked in comments, the cinnamon rolls are available at Gaston’s Tavern in New Fantasyland, and the ice cream sandwiches are available at Plaza Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street, U.S.A.

~Sam Eagle

lol.

Disney's PR department should have had that in the original press release.

It did answer that Starbucks will serve other of their items like I had thought beyond beverages. Disney would keep Seasonal baked Favorites in Starbucks but also relocate other favorites like ice cream, cinnamon buns etc else where in the park.

So a dumped down version of what is now in the bakery.

At least we know.

I had forgotten about this. The Old Egg House-Town Square Cafe, had real coffee back in the day as you walked into the Magic Kingdom. $.90! Another example of inflation after my kids were born.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast