Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Dining Discuss looking for suggestions..... in the Vacation Planning forums; Make some Cheddar Cheese soup. Add a dole whip and some pretzel bread and you will have a ton of people at your house from the forum. So how do ...
    SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Make some Cheddar Cheese soup. Add a dole whip and some pretzel bread and you will have a ton of people at your house from the forum. So how do I get that satellite link to work again...I know it is here somewhere.....

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    [sarcasm]yeah, glad this went the way i expected[/sarcasm]

how dead do you think i'm going to be when the wife finds out we have another 40 or 50 coming for dinner.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDude
    [sarcasm]yeah, glad this went the way i expected[/sarcasm]

how dead do you think i'm going to be when the wife finds out we have another 40 or 50 coming for dinner.

Back to the serious assistance....
    Are you looking for finger-foods (light snacking foods) or a full meal that people will just serve themselves? I've got several Disney cookbooks and can look up anything you might need.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Christmas dinner? Stick with the traditional fare with one or two surprises thrown in. Does your family do turkey, ham, or goose? Or a combination? I have a killer dinner roll recipe that is super easy. My oldest son made them himself for his Christmas dinner with his future in-laws last year and WOWed them. When I get home this evening I will send you the recipe. Maybe try a new stuffing recipe. One with cranberries or something cooked into it. My husband loves oyster stuffing. Roast a garlic and add the roasted garlic to the mashed potatoes. A really simple and delicious spread I use for celery sticks or for roll-ups (a flour tortilla rolled up and sliced like a pinwheel) is a package of cream cheese, some chopped onion, a dash or two of Worcestershire, a small dash of Tabasco, and a handful of pecans, add salt and or pepper to taste. Whirl it around in the food processer for a few and viola! Maybe try the grapefruit cake from the Brown Derby for an unexpected dessert (in addition to the traditional pies).
    They call me "Nana"

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    don't know, first time we're hosting something like this, not sure what we want to do. i'd prefer finger foods, so that way people won't stay as long, but the wife said we have to have dinner type food. we'll do a turkey and/or ham and other stuff.

thought it would be cool to say "these are garlic cheese potatoes, just like they serve at Chef Mickey's", but didn't know the what, and was also wondering 'how is it?'.

it would be bad if i did some funky ginger cricket and mud soup from Boma and have it taste like garbage. the in-laws hate me enough, i don't need any further help.

Ohhhh, I understand the inlaw issues. I will no longer cook for any of my inlaws. Whenever I do, someone else makes the exact same thing so they won't have to eat mine. Don't understand it because I am a decent cook but they do stress me out! But that is my issue not yours...

My aunt makes minature pizzas that are really easy and look good too. YOu could always just make a hudge grazing area and allow everyone to come and GO as they wish.

Make some mac and cheese for anyone younger than 10 and you will be a hit! Add some gummy bears(not to the mac and cheese but a separate bowl) and you may be king!

I make what my husband, kids, and I like and don't give a hoot about what the rest of the family thinks. If they don't like it, they are welcome to stay home next time.
    They call me "Nana"

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDude
    Well look on the bright side...that's one less person she will have to cook for!

Quote Originally Posted by iwannabeminnie
    I make what my husband, kids, and I like and don't give a hoot about what the rest of the family thinks. If they don't like it, they are welcome to stay home next time.
    That's a great way to handle it! I am such a people pleaser that I'm not sure I have this in me....but the thought of it is nice!

Quote Originally Posted by iwannabeminnie

I just don;t have anyone over at my house. We go to the inlaws and everyone destroys, I mean, visits at their house. I keep forgetting things at my house so I have to leave and get it- Makes my life a little better plus I don't have to cook kor clean up.

Grumpydude-there is a thought for you-just keep saying you forget stuff that you have to go get? Hey, don't forget a cheeseball and crackers for everyone to fill up on before the meal. That way of they don't like the meal, they at least have received some protein.

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    I think potato dishes are easy for crowds. I would do baked potatoes as a side with a WDW style "toppings bar"-you know, cheese, mushrooms, salsa, chili, that kind of thing. Then just do a roast or something for the main course-it feeds plenty, and is pretty easy to make. The disney magazines often had some pretty good recipes from in and around WDW. Maybe you can get some archived copies of them, or maybe you have them? I wonder if those are availabe online? This is making me hungry!
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

When my kids were little they were always in charge of making the placemats. I would buy the larger sheets of construction paper and they would decorate them with stickers, crayons, markers, whatever they pulled out of their mouths or noses, etc. Definitely not Martha Stewart standards, but their grandparents, aunts, uncles, and mom and dad considered them to be masterpieces. AND it kept them out from under my feet while I was trying to cook.
    They call me "Nana"

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Being that you are new to this sort of thing, I'm suggesting some easy ideas that should work for what you're trying to do.

Suggestions:
    spiral ham or turkey breast, or both depending on how many people. The hams are available pre-cooked and just have to be heated, and turkey breast cooks quicker than a whole turkey. Gravy would be on the side for the turkey.

parmesan mashed potatoes, from chef Mickey's http://www.allearsnet.com/din/rec_parmpot.htm . Their recipe would be for about 4 people, you'll have to scale it upwards for more. I've made these using instant potato flakes, too, which can be a real timesaver. They are also good with roasted garlic added.

Green beans from 'Ohana; http://www.allearsnet.com/din/rec_gb.htm (these would go especially well with the ham if it has an apricot or peach glaze)

I also have a recipe from Disneyland for grilled asparagus that works very well, is simple, and tasty even if asparagus isn't your favorite veggie. PM me if you want it.

a corn bread stuffing with apples and raisins would also go well with both ham & turkey

probably one other veggie of a different color, like carrots, corn or turnips, and some form of dinner roll or bread.

Oh, and ask the guests to bring dessert! You (or your wife) are doing all the rest, they can bring a pie.

If you do have a lot of kids, the mac & cheese is a good idea.

There are lots more Disney recipes here: http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/...es/default.asp , including one for Dole whips!

Hope this helps a bit!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12