Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Dining Discuss Which dining experiences can I not miss? in the Vacation Planning forums; Are you staying at a resort while you are there? If so, you can get the meal plan which is so worth it. You get all your meals for the ...
    Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    Are you staying at a resort while you are there? If so, you can get the meal plan which is so worth it. You get all your meals for the day for 30ish bucks. It includes a counter service and a snack and then a table service which you can use for character meals so it saves a ton of money. The only place I wanted to really use it at that we couldn't was Fulton's Crab House at Downtown. That restaurant is wonderful but very expensive. I was talking to a friend the other night who found her receipt from last time and it was just her and 2 kids for $150. Yikes.

My vote for best restaurant experience at the resorts is definitely the Grand Floridian. Dinner with Cinderella and Prince Charming at 1900 Park Fare is a must do that we do every year. The only thing this year is that they are refurbing the restaurant so you won't get the same feeling. So instead I am recommending doing tea. You have to go to the GF. It is really beautiful and interesting to see something that isn't so "Disney" but still "Disney" at the same time. Make sense? Anyway, they have different levels of teas. You can choose from cheeses and fruit plates and desserts and it really isn't that expensive but if you are looking for the experience more than the food I would try that.

My second choice outside the parks is definitely Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary. The food is pretty good and like breakfast at AK, you get to meet Donald. I have some wonderful memories (as well as photos). And, the Contemporary is cool. Especially if you can get the dining plan, this is worth the money.

If you are going Downtown, get the macaroni and cheese at Wolfgang's. And will you go to the Adventurer's Club for me? I have always wanted to go but haven't figured yet what to do with my friend's kids so we haven't gone yet. And have a delicious sandwich at Earl's- they are huge so you can share. And then share a sundae at Ghiradelli's. Oooo- and a Wetzel pretzel.

Have fun, take new photos and share with us please!

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinderella2 View Post
    Are you staying at a resort while you are there? If so, you can get the meal plan which is so worth it. You get all your meals for the day for 30ish bucks. It includes a counter service and a snack and then a table service which you can use for character meals so it saves a ton of money. The only place I wanted to really use it at that we couldn't was Fulton's Crab House at Downtown. That restaurant is wonderful but very expensive. I was talking to a friend the other night who found her receipt from last time and it was just her and 2 kids for $150. Yikes.

My vote for best restaurant experience at the resorts is definitely the Grand Floridian. Dinner with Cinderella and Prince Charming at 1900 Park Fare is a must do that we do every year. The only thing this year is that they are refurbing the restaurant so you won't get the same feeling. So instead I am recommending doing tea. You have to go to the GF. It is really beautiful and interesting to see something that isn't so "Disney" but still "Disney" at the same time. Make sense? Anyway, they have different levels of teas. You can choose from cheeses and fruit plates and desserts and it really isn't that expensive but if you are looking for the experience more than the food I would try that.

My second choice outside the parks is definitely Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary. The food is pretty good and like breakfast at AK, you get to meet Donald. I have some wonderful memories (as well as photos). And, the Contemporary is cool. Especially if you can get the dining plan, this is worth the money.

If you are going Downtown, get the macaroni and cheese at Wolfgang's. And will you go to the Adventurer's Club for me? I have always wanted to go but haven't figured yet what to do with my friend's kids so we haven't gone yet. And have a delicious sandwich at Earl's- they are huge so you can share. And then share a sundae at Ghiradelli's. Oooo- and a Wetzel pretzel.

Have fun, take new photos and share with us please!
    So many suggestions! Thank you!

We are staying on property. 3 nights at Pop Century, then 3 nights at Caribbean Beach. I've done Chef Mickeys and love it (I even remember it from when it used to be at the Disney Village Marketplace! ), but I don't think the gf ever has. I'm hoping to maybe get there on this trip. We've also done Ghiradelli's, which was pretty good but incredibly overpriced for an ice cream! And even though I've never been huge on clubs and nightlife in the past, we're trying to do some new stuff this time, and I've never been to Adventurer's Club and have heard so many great things, so I want to try that too. I have a premium annual pass this year, so I can get into some of these "extras" that I normally can't. She's a CM, and is used to getting into stuff for free, and now she doesn't like paying for the extras. I think she can get into Pleasure Island free on Thursdays or something, so we might have to try it then.

I always forget to look into the dining plan thing. Don't you need to sign up for that like a certain number of weeks before your trip though? I forgot all about looking into that again this year. Now that I've heard more and more about it, it does sound like a really good deal if you were staying on property the entire time. In fact, I'm definitely going to keep it in mind for whenever my next trip may be. I love how it only costs like $30-something a day for not one but ALL of your meals, considering how easy it is to drop a minimum of $25 on yourself alone in most table service restaurants. It certainly sounds like the cheapest way to actually "dine" at Disney.

What I'm doing though, is actually even cheaper than the dining plan. However, you can almost barely call it dining. I basically eat my own food and save up for the few meals I either need to eat because I'm too hungry to wait, or for the special ocassion meals that we planned for in advance. Normally I just daytrip, so that's usuall the cheapest way for me to eat. I do breakfast before I get to the parks for the day, bring a bagged lunch, and then eat a cheap dinner in the parks. Sometimes, if I am looking to go real cheap, I can eat breakfast before leaving and then eat my bagged lunch real late and maybe spread it out a bit to make it a lunch/dinner combination. Then I just eat again when I get back home, meaning I don't spend a cent in the park, but I don't think Mickey likes it when I do that.

Last spring break what I did was gave myself a limit of approximately $25 a day to spend on food. I brought cereal and milk and kept them in a cooler in the hotel for breakfast on most days, and then packed a bagged lunched for about half the days, and then on the days I was cheap earlier in the day, I would spend my full day's allowance on a sit down dinner, or if I didn't bring a lunch that day, I would buy counter service lunch and dinner to stay under the $25/day limit. It worked though. I spent about $180 on food for 8 days. And as for the hotel, it was discounted (CM discount) and then split amongst three of us staying there, and I ended up paying a total of $180 for all 7 nights. So I stayed for 8 days for about what it cost me for my Annual Pass. Now that was a cheap trip!

Thanks for all the tips so far! Oh, and I just remembered. I also wanted to look into the Hoop-dee-Doo again, even though I'm pretty sure it's out of my league in terms of cost.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    I love Hoop-dee-Doo. I am dreaming of the fried chicken right now. And strawberry shortcake! I remember it being so cold in there last time that our servers brought us tablecloths for blankets. Your gf should be able to get you a good discount. As far as the dining plan goes, I believe you can add it when you get to the front desk. I can't imagine spending less that $200 for 8 days! That's fabulous! Good luck!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123