Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Dining Discuss Best Italian in "the World"? in the Vacation Planning forums; Italian is my favorite food, and I was hoping that someone could give me their opinions on which Italian restaurant was the best? I'd like opinions/ratings on the three main ...
    C#ern@b0g is offline I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it...

Best Italian in "the World"?

Italian is my favorite food, and I was hoping that someone could give me their opinions on which Italian restaurant was the best?

I'd like opinions/ratings on the three main restaurants:

Tony's Town Square Restaurant
    L'Originale Alfredo di Roma Ristorante
    Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano

However, if anyone really loved an Italian dish from another restaurant in the parks or resorts, please feel free to tell me what it was, and where.

Thanks...
    I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it - Edgar Allan Poe

Haven't eaten there yet, but from what I hear Alfredo's is the best. We have friends who swear by it and we will be eating there for the first time with them this coming June. We always enjoy our Fantasmic dinner package at Mama Melrose. This will be our first trip in a very long time that we won't be eating there. We have also had lunch at Tony's before and it's okay too.....not my favorite, but okay.

olmec26 is offline Created by Mark Burnett
    Alfredo's is definently the best...may I suggest the fetuccini alfredo?
    -Taylor

Por favor mantanganse alijado de las puertas.

TinkerBell702 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Tony's Town Square Restaurant - price - good, food - good, atmosphere - great
    L'Originale Alfredo di Roma Ristorante - price - little high, food - good, atmosphere -
    Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano - price - good, food - great, atmoshere - great

My 1st choice - Mama Melroses
    Annual Passholder.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    Have to go with Alfredo's. The food is "traditional" Italian (although not quite like 30 Italians gathered in their grandmother's basement on Sunday evening yelling over one another for hous on end, but I digress)... and is far superior to either Tony's i or Mama's (which is more like the Olive Garden)
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

C#ern@b0g is offline I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it...
    Thanks, DisneyDreamer.

We've got the dining plan, so price isn't really an issue. I think that I'll try to talk everyone into going to Alfredo's first, and then "con" them into Mama Melrose's with the caveat that we don't have to wait forever and day to get seats in Fantasmic if we do the package deal...

Thanks for the suggestion, Olmec.

That is one of my favorites. With Disney portions, I should be able to get that, and then swap/steal a bit of whatever the missus chooses too...

Thanks, Tink.

You definitely rated them all for me, and should help me make my decision. If it was mine alone, I'd be doing all three:p

Maybe I'll just "pop" into Tony's for something quick and easy, just to see what I think of all three...

Thank you for your sage advice, Lou.

The menu for Alfredo's just looks wonderful. I will honestly have a hard time choosing what to go with when I get there (although Olmec did suggest the namesake, and that's definitely a front-runner). Nothing compares to a real Italian home-made meal, but your comparison to "Olive Garden" helps me to gauge where the other restaurants match up...

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    Alfredo's is the top if you are into "real" Italian (that is, the way they make it in Italy kind of Italian... or so I'm told by my gf who's been there). However, I'm not crazy about the place because the portions are wee tiny (and I do mean wee tiny), the prices are quite the opposite, and I'm apparently more in tune with the Americanized version of Italian than the Italian version of Italian, because I wasn't overly impressed with the dishes.

I've had two dishes at Alfredo's... the namesake Fettucini Alfredo, and the Lasagna. The fettucini was pretty good, although the sauce is pretty much butter and cheese (i looked it up on allearsnet), which is not the Alfredo i'm used to as as American. The lasagna tasted to me like something I could whip up from one of those microwaveable tv dinner lasagnas. The sauce reminded me of that found in chef boyardee canned ravioli. The only two things that both dishes had in common was, as I mentioned before, very small portions and a fairly high price to match.

I've eaten at Tony's once, and although I loved the atmosphere, I was rather unimpressed by the selection on the menu, which only sported I think 6 or 8 choices for a dinner entree. I ordered the spaghetti and Italian sausage. The portion size was much larger, and actually worth the price, unlike at Alfredo's. The sausage was also very good, but the sauce lacked anything resembling flavor in my opinion. It's great if you're the kind of person who likes a very plain sauce, but didn't do much for me.

I've never been to Mama Melrose's, but I'm hoping to rectify that problem soon. I like you, love my (Americanized) Italian, but have yet to find a place in WDW that I'm particularly wowed by. As for now, my vote for best Italian joint still resides with the non-Disney Olive Garden chain. Now that's the kind of food and portion sizes I could die for! So seeing as Lou so nicely compared my much coveted OG to Mama Melrose's, perhaps I'll have to make a greater effort to try eating there sooner rather than later.

Hope this helps some!
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

Thanks, Don!

Your description was very detailed, if a bit critical, but that's just what I was looking for. I know the tendency with all things Disney is to say that it's all better than perfect, and I appreciate your objectivity.

Portions is a concern, but with something like fettucini alfredo, a little goes a long weigh, so it's probably not such a bad thing.

I've seen your posts here and ther throughout the site, and you always seem to give a lot of attention to detail. I look forward to reading more...

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    Hey, just because I'm a Disney fanatic doesn't mean i can't like non-Disney things from time to time. I'm very honest (ocassionally too much so), and i always try to tell it how it is. So if I find something better outside of Disney, then that's what I'm going to tell people.

My gf LOVES Alfredo's. It's her #1 pick any day of the week if you ask her where she wants to eat. She's been to Italy for real, and claims that the food served at Alfredo's is just like what she had over there, right down to the portion sizes. I probably complain too much about portions because I, as most of us over here do, love my food and expect a meal to fill me up. But the gf says that's just because we as Americans are frequent over-eaters, and that people in Europe tend to traditionally dine on much smaller portions. So... if you are looking to try some "real" Italian, go check it out for sure.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    I love italian also, and have been to all three: My thoughts:

Italy's Italian restaurant is just that-traditional, very well done italian food. I had the spaghetting and meatballs and loved it, and the Fettuccini Alfredo, my sister had, and said it was wonderful. It is an expensive restaurant, for sure, but a great treat.

Tony's is nice-sort of a toned down italian restaurant-has a Lady and the Tramp feel, and the food is decent, remember, it is in the Magic Kingdom, so it is like most food there-great location and atmosphere, but it will fill you up.

Mama's is pretty good. If you like things like flatbread pizza and really good italian salads, this is a good place to go. I was pleased with the food I got-we had pizza appetizers which were fresh and delicious, and I had the chicken parmesan for dinner-big chicken breast, and the spaghetti noodles that came with it were cooked perfectly and delicious.

Enjoy!
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

olmec26 is offline Created by Mark Burnett
    Quote Originally Posted by C#ern@b0g
    Thanks for the suggestion, Olmec.

That is one of my favorites. With Disney portions, I should be able to get that, and then swap/steal a bit of whatever the missus chooses too...

Incidentally, I have a friend who has dined at the original Alfredo's in Rome, and he said the one in Epcot is better...go figure that one out...
    -Taylor

Por favor mantanganse alijado de las puertas.

Don - I think it's pretty clear that Americans do overeat, but that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy it myself most of the time. I think it harkens to the idea that we like to get our money's worth, so we tend to rationalize our eating habits based on that.

I would expect nothing less than the authentic experience from a World Showcase restaurant, since they excel at that specifically. I've traveled a bit abroad, but I must say that "touring" around the Circle of Nations is a really wonderful way to feel like you've been around the world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast