Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Dining Discuss Eatin on a budget!! in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi. We are going to WDW in Feb, stayin 2 weeks on i drive and 1 week at Pop, and we are on a real tight budget. Anyone tell us ...
    Kymie is offline B-Ticket Holder

Smile Eatin on a budget!!

Hi. We are going to WDW in Feb, stayin 2 weeks on i drive and 1 week at Pop, and we are on a real tight budget. Anyone tell us the cheapest places to eat? We ate at the Golden Coral last time we went, is this the best place for nice food at a cheap price? There are 2 adults and 5 kids but 2 of the kids are under 3 so wont eat much. Any advice greatfully received!!

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Anywhere at the resort is a lot of money to eat. We found the dining plan saved us over $400 for a 7 day stay. We used it for the first time this past May. I cringed every time we ate last year. This year I was able to enjoy my meals without having to eat the cheapest thing on the menu. You can eat the most expensive thing on the menu with the dining plan.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

turkeymama is offline Christmas Shopping Rules!
    I have only been one time and we had the dining plan. It was very worth it if you can afford to add it to your package. My kids love the character meals so it paid for itself many times in one trip and we only had 3 character meals last time. This time we will be doing 5 character meals this time.
    "You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
    Walt Disney

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Yes, by all means, go with the dining plan! It saves you a lot of heartache in the end.

Raidermatt is offline B-Ticket Holder
    But the OP is staying off-site for 2 of the 3 weeks. Unless I missed a change, you have to be staying at a Disney resort to purchase the dining plan.

You might want to consider the DDP for the week you are onsite, but you can eat cheaper by eating at counter service restaurants only, since the DDP includes a table service credit for each day. If you do want on-site table service meals, then definitely look into the plan and see if it makes sense for you.

Unfortunately, I can't offer any help on off-site restaurants, other than to say in general you will be able to find better deals off-site, but you probably already know that.
    Last edited by Raidermatt; 11-29-2006 at 02:19 PM.

AnnF is offline D-Ticket Holder
    If you're going for 3 weeks, do you have an AP, if so then you can get the DDE which will get you 20% off a bunch of the Table Service restaurant. If you want to do TS meals, they're cheaper at lunch then dinner. Counter Service meals are the cheapest in park option. but you can always eat outside of the parks.

~Ann
    My Blog
    Join Disney Swaps
    1991-offsite; 1995-Ft.Wilderness; 1998-offsite; 2001-Grosvenor; 06/2001-offsite; 12/01-offsite; 12/02 offsite; 06/03 offsite;12/03 offsite; 12/05-ASMu; 8/06 Pop;*Upcoming 12/06 Pop;03/07 offsite*

Raidermatt is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Good point, Ann. I'm not sure why I didn't think of it, as we have the DDE card.

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    I always try and plan for one "meal" a day when I'm in the park and eat off site or snack on food i bring the rest of the day...for example
    breakfast: cereal in the hotel room
    lunch: Disney meal
    Dinner: Packed PB&J sandwich
    Snack : Granola bars, homemade cookies, fruit

Also - while you are off site consider heading to a grocery store for some items to keep in your room. Publix is a really nice market in Florida that also carries fresh made submarine sandwiches, sushi, and deli items

Have fun!!!
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Off site there is no doubt you'll save money on eating. Even eating the cheapest thing on the menu at the resort will set you back a lot. Spending your time at Disney worrying about food prices, I think, will lessen the enjoyment of your whole Disney expierence. That's why the dining plan is such a hit.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

Thanks everyone. I cant do the dining plan as my tour operator wont book it for twin centre holidays and cos im at 2 different hotels that counts me out. I cant book it through Disney cos I have already got my hotel and park tickets booked. We havent got an AP, and arent hiring a car, so that leaves a big trip to Walmart!!! I like the plan of just buying 1 meal a day in Disney and doing the rest ourselves. Does anyone know if they have fridges in the rooms at Pop Century? Thanks again everyone xx

AnnF is offline D-Ticket Holder
    you can request a fridge at pop for $10 a day.

~Ann
    My Blog
    Join Disney Swaps
    1991-offsite; 1995-Ft.Wilderness; 1998-offsite; 2001-Grosvenor; 06/2001-offsite; 12/01-offsite; 12/02 offsite; 06/03 offsite;12/03 offsite; 12/05-ASMu; 8/06 Pop;*Upcoming 12/06 Pop;03/07 offsite*

joplin4 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    TEXAS!!--The greatest state in the Union (IMO)
    One place I enjoy is that little Fish n' Chips stand in the UK at EPCOT. It's pretty inexpensive and the food is great. Of course, that's my opinion. Cosmic Ray's is pretty good, too. We've gotten pretty good at eating on a budget in our family while at WDW. Turkey legs are wonderful...and sticky. But very good.
    Celebrating Walt Disney's birthday all month long with some of my favorite Walt Disney avatars. HAPPY BIRTHDAY WALT!!!!

"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."--Walt Disney

dizfanfamily is offline Are we there YET???
    We love Cosmic Ray's Starlight Café in MK. The wraps are huge so two can share one. The fix'ins bar is huge so you can pile on the pickles. My even cheeper brother goes in there, buys a wrap to share with his wife and kid, then makes a saled at the bar for himself. You can't beat Ray for entertainment either. yes the food is good too.
    1978, 83 – Contemporary Garden, 2001 – Contemporary Tower MK Side (Honeymoon),
    2002 – Grand Floridian, 2003 – Wilderness Lodge (Christmas @ WDW),
    2005 – Saratoga Springs (DVC Member), 2006 – Boardwalk Villas,
    2007 -- Saratoga Springs (April & December), 2008 -- SSR (March), BWV (Oct), POFQ (Dec)

Planning our next trip...

Thanks everyone. Just another quick query, while we are staying offsite (the first week or so of our vacation) we thought about eating at the Golden Corral. Does anyone know the prices of the buffet there? We have nothing like it in the UK

tigrou is offline A-Ticket holder
    I think pretty much all the counter service eateries offer pretty good value, maybe its because i live in England where food is pretty expensive. You can have a decent meal for under $8, i think the kids meals are a good deal, sometimes if im not too hungry i have one myself! a main dish (chicken nuggets, mac cheese etc), a side dish (chips, carrotts or mickey crackers) & a drink for $4, you cant go wrong

WDW 92, 05, March 07

Disneyland Paris 96, 02, 03, 04.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast