Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Disney Characters Discuss Disney restricts limits on Duffy merchandise purchases in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Originally Posted by nicholas this bear. I fired up the Merriam Webster for you regarding mickeytoo's post: Definition of Sarcasm (See no. 2) Originally Posted by mickeytoo Who's Duffy?...
    WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Disney restricts limits on Duffy merchandise purchases

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    this bear.
    I fired up the Merriam Webster for you regarding mickeytoo's post: Definition of Sarcasm (See no. 2)

Quote Originally Posted by mickeytoo
    Who's Duffy?
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Evilduckqueen is online now Annual Passholder

I know what Duffy looks like. I want to know his story. Why did Disney create him, etc? That's what I mean, when I said I don't know who Duffy is.
    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by Evilduckqueen View Post
    I know what Duffy looks like. I want to know his story. Why did Disney create him, etc? That's what I mean, when I said I don't know who Duffy is.
    It appears as if the Duffster was an accidental success in Tokyo. People had a black market of clothing going when Tokyo Disneyland brought out this slate of build-a-bear clothing for him. Since then, he's been parasitically transplanted in Epcot and California Adventure.
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

KacieG is offline D-Ticket Holder

Ever think about how Duffy, and all Disney merch in general, can be purchased for cheaper here in the US what with the poor value of the US dollar and whatnot?

Tokyo and other parks around the world could potentially lose money if people are buying all of their merch from the US. Granted, then you get hit with shipping and stuff, but I can't tell you how many Japanese guests I saw with Duffy all over - backpacks, clothing, ears, etc.

Granted, just from all of the International guests I met saying they loved how cheap the merch was here compared to wherever they are from, I'm just constantly thinking that about merch.

As for the limit of purchases, you think maybe they're deciding to make less Duffy merch, so the limit allows for them to not have to worry about not having enough so the factories can start making other merch? (Does that make sense?)

DCP - Attractions - Disney Quest - Aug. 10th, 2011 - Jan. 6th, 2012

nicholas is offline Lost in my house

Duffy the Disney Bear is a Disney character that can be found at Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland and Disney California Adventure Park in California, Walt Disney World in Florida, Hong Kong Disneyland and Disneyland Paris. As the story goes, Minnie Mouse created Duffy for Mickey Mouse as he was packing for a long voyage at sea. Duffy is available for purchase and at "meet and greets."

Although originally created for and briefly sold at the Disney World Once Upon a Toy shop in Orlando in 2002, Duffy only became popular after Oriental Land executives adopted the character, gave it a name and a backstory, and aggressively marketed it in the Tokyo DisneySea park. Japanese fans took to it and some of them started to carry around multiple Duffy plush bears during their visits to the park. The My Friend Duffy show replaced a Donald Duck-themed show at the American Waterfront Cape Cod Cook-Off hamburger restaurant in 2010.

Duffy was previously known as "The Disney Bear" with an entirely different backstory. The original story found on the tag of the first released bear's ear said that Mickey brought his favorite bear to the Magic Kingdom. Mickey sat in front of the castle wishing that he had a friend with him to share the excitement and magic of the park. Tinker-bell appears and sprinkles pixie dust on Mickey's bear, bringing it to life. Mickey then hugs the bear and a Mickey-shape appears on the bear's face, forever bonding Mickey and his new friend.

Duffy the Disney Bear joined American Disney parks on October 14, 2010. He was welcomed at Epcot in Walt Disney World and Disney California Adventure Park at the Disneyland Resort.[1] He then joined Hong Kong Disneyland Resort on November 19, 2010. He was welcomed at Main Street, U.S.A. in Hong Kong Disneyland Park.[2] He joined Disneyland Paris on June 2011. He will make his official debut in Disneyland Paris at the Disneyland Park on November 7, 2011 for their Christmas season. He will have his own Meet-and-Greet area and photolocation in Town Square. He will also have a Meet-and-Greet location at the Disneyland Hotel and at the Disney's Newport Bay Club Hotel. He will participate in the daily daytime Parade "Disney's Once Upon a Dream Parade" in the Christmas unit "Dreams of Christmas". He will also be at the daily nighttime Show "Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony".

Duffy is also featured in the video game Kinect Disneyland Adventures where the players can interact with him although he doesn't speak.

Duffy is unique among Disney characters in that he was not first featured in a Disney movie or television show until he made his television debut in the 2010 Disney Parks Christmas Day Parade. He also is on his own Bedtime Story Channel in Walt Disney World.

Quote Originally Posted by KacieG View Post
    As for the limit of purchases, you think maybe they're deciding to make less Duffy merch, so the limit allows for them to not have to worry about not having enough so the factories can start making other merch? (Does that make sense?)
    This IS a good thought, I totally understand but in this instance I don't think that's the case. If they didn't have many left and were trying to get rid of them, they'd be handing them out saying, "Take them please! We don't want them anymore."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by KacieG View Post
    Ever think about how Duffy, and all Disney merch in general, can be purchased for cheaper here in the US what with the poor value of the US dollar and whatnot?

Tokyo and other parks around the world could potentially lose money if people are buying all of their merch from the US. Granted, then you get hit with shipping and stuff, but I can't tell you how many Japanese guests I saw with Duffy all over - backpacks, clothing, ears, etc.

Granted, just from all of the International guests I met saying they loved how cheap the merch was here compared to wherever they are from, I'm just constantly thinking that about merch.

I get what you are saying. And to support that theory I did notice the vast variety of the Duff outfits and accessories, much like Build a Bear. So possibly because of the variety the actually stock of each Duff item has to have less stock available? Limits so the collectors have an opportunity to buy each and every one offered before the hoarders glam onto them?

I just don't care for Duff altogether. I get disappointed in Disney when they appear to rip someone elses ideas. Imagineering use to Disney's hallmark. Duff to me is just lifting Build a Bear so it isn't difficult for me to dislike the Duff.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

but have they ever gotten rid of a character? you cant do that.

but have they ever gotten rid of a character? you cant do that.
    He's not a character. He's not in anything cinematically. He's a theme park novelty. They absolutely can get rid of him. They did it with Orange Bird (although he made a comeback) and Andy Anaheim and the Reluctant Dragon. He was made for that short/documentary and then never heard of again. And Baby Weems from the same film. And Daisy's nieces April, May, and June.
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

but its not like hes a total flop so you cant get rid of him. and its more for kids than adaults so think what you want. waht does this mean to you?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lsw6AJusyw i know its in japnese but its for kids.

but its not like hes a total flop so you cant get rid of him. and its more for kids than adaults so think what you want. waht does this mean to you?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lsw6AJusyw i know its in japnese but its for kids.
    You said it yourself, it's in Japanese. Therefore in Japan. Not the States.
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

im not saying its big here but the show looks like the disney junor show.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by WDW4Ever View Post
    You said it yourself, it's in Japanese. Therefore in Japan. Not the States.
    The crazy Japanese are nutty over anything plush. Remember, these were the same people that gave us Hello Kitty. No doubt that Duffy would be a hit over there. Maybe they can just clear out all of the cr#p from Epcot and ship it overseas.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I just don't care for Duff altogether. I get disappointed in Disney when they appear to rip someone elses ideas. Imagineering use to Disney's hallmark. Duff to me is just lifting Build a Bear so it isn't difficult for me to dislike the Duff.
    Remember... this is the same company that faced a law suit from a Japanese animation design studio alleging that Disney basically ripped off their design for Simba.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    The crazy Japanese are nutty over anything plush. Remember, these were the same people that gave us Hello Kitty. No doubt that Duffy would be a hit over there. Maybe they can just clear out all of the cr#p from Epcot and ship it overseas.
    thats kind of mean.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast