Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Characters Discuss Character Interactions in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; As a writer I love telling stories, but I also love hearing others people's stories. No trip to Disney is complete without at least one meet and greet with a ...
    arielfan316 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Talking Character Interactions

As a writer I love telling stories, but I also love hearing others people's stories. No trip to Disney is complete without at least one meet and greet with a character. Some meet and greets stand out more than others. Have you ever had a meet and greet so special that you'll remember it forever and when you think of it, it brings a smile to your face no matter what mood you're in?

I had 2 awesome meet and greets that coincidentally happened in the same day.

It was this past September and I was in the Magic Kingdom celebrating my birthday (which was actually a month prior. Shhhhhhhh!)

I was in Adventureland and saw Ariel (my favorite Princess) and Eric out in front of the Adventureland Veranda so I got in line. When I got to the front Ariel spotted my Birthday Button right away. I told her she was my favorite Princess to which Eric replied "Something we have in common". Then Ariel spotted my lanyard full of pins. I pointed out the one of her in mermaid form with jewels embedded in her tail and said it was my favorite. Then Ariel talked about her collection of human things in her secret grotto. She asked me if I knew what her favorite item was. I guesses the dinglehopper and she said I was right. Then she asked how many Dinglehoppers I have. I thought about how many fork were in the silverware drawer at home and said about 20. While I was thinking Ariel turned around and dug through a box. Then she kept her arms behind her back. When I said 20 she said "now you have 21. Happy Birthday." and presented me with my very own Dinglehopper. I had never heard of a guest getting a gift from a character before.
    Character Interactions-ariel-8.jpgCharacter Interactions-ariel-5.jpg

When I got home I bought a special case for it and have it sitting on a pillow. To everyone else it's a simple plastic fork. To me it's the best birthday gift I ever got. My very own dinglehopper personally handed to me by my favorite Princess.
    Character Interactions-dingle-hopper.jpg

Later that same day, during Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party I was in line to meet Merida from Brave. I was expecting the typical character meet and greet. Walk up, chat a few seconds, take a picture, move on. What I got blew my mind.

Merida ran up to me at full speed and almost tackled me giving me a huge bear hug. We talked for a good 5-10 minutes during which I told her I loved her movie and saw it 4 times on the big screen. That's when she gave me a 2nd hug. Then she noticed my custom made Backside Of Water shirt (which got my recognition earlier in the day but that's another story for another thread) and asked if I had been on the Jungle Cruise while wearing it. I said yes I went on the Jungle Cruise 4 times. She laughed saying I must love to do things 4 times. I ended up with about a dozen pictures in various poses and a 3rd hug before I left for a total of 3.

Character Interactions-merida-3.jpgCharacter Interactions-merida-9.jpg

That catapulted Merida to 2nd on my favorite Princess list knocking Belle to 3rd. (sorry Belle) Merida may have taken the first spot had I not been given the dinglehopper earlier. Either way both of those meet and greets will always stick out in my mind.
    Visits to Disney:

February 2009: off-site 1 day trip to Epcot and Magic Kingdom

February 2010: All Star Movies 7 days, 6 nights of magic

February 2011: All Star Music 7 days, 6 nights of magic

September 2012: All Star Movies 4 days, 3 nights of magic

March 2013: All Star Movies 3 days, 2 nights of magic

April 2013: Pop Century 3 days, 2 night of magic

(Upcoming) January 2014 6 days, 5 nights of magic

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!

Re: Character Interactions

I have a ton. Some of my favorites include:
    *getting picked to go on the Teacups with Alice and Mad Hatter. Such a great experience!

*Back when Cinderella's Surprise Celebration was running, characters would come down to meet in front of the castle after the show. I was waiting to meet Mickey, and when I got up to see him he dropped down to one knee! That is probably my most favorite picture ever

*Meeting Boo at the Pixar Weekend event in 2011. She came out later then the rest of the Monsters Inc characters, and got the biggest round of applause when she came out. She was so cute! And she gave the biggest hugs
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

Awesome! I'd love to ride the teacups with Alice or the Mad Hatter
    Visits to Disney:

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Mine happened at DHS one year. It was getting later in the day and most of the character meets had pretty much turned into a quick photo op because all the characters had to hurry because Fantasmic was scheduled. We were inline to meet Snow White, Mulan and Pocohantas. We got up there and had our pics taken and the photo pass CM mentioned that my youngest had covered her eyes. The CM "bodyguard" was rushing my girls off and Snow would have none of that. She called my daughter back and got down on one knee to talk to her. She told the CM the show would wait and spent a good bit of time talking to my daughter. Snow kissed Kara on the cheek and the photo pass CM was snapping pics like crazy. Kara was only two but she remembers it!
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

My son just 4 at the time, in Mickey's Tent show being called up to be the guest performer with Roger Rabbit. Still have the gift Roger Rabbit and TShirt. The TShirt meant to fit Roger would fit the largest Football Center.

My DD was peacefully eating tidbits of food in her highchair at an Aladdin Character breakfast at the studios, she was just over a year old and was tuning out everything around her, a strange coping mechanistic she had that worked quite well for our Disney trips when she was quite small. Jafar comes to the table, DS happy, DD ignores until Jafar goes over to her snatches her breakfast much to her dismay and he made a sinister sound at her.
    Meltdown city. From peaceful child to full out hysterical fit in 10 seconds. Meal over, settled bill in lobby as not to disturb others. CMs felt so bad including Jafar and poor waiter, so not his fault. DD calmed and we were giving counter service comp lunch.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

ohiodisneydad: That is so awesome! THAT is what sets Disney apart. I love how your daughter still remembers it.

HauntedGabe: sorry to hear that Usually the characters are better at judging when to keep there distance from an uninterested or scared child. I'm glad you got it all settled peacefully.
    Visits to Disney:

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!

Quote Originally Posted by arielfan316 View Post
    Awesome! I'd love to ride the teacups with Alice or the Mad Hatter
    It was a lot of fun! Although...I don't think I've ever had the cup spun that fast before (those 2 sure could spin)
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

Quote Originally Posted by arielfan316 View Post
    ohiodisneydad: That is so awesome! THAT is what sets Disney apart. I love how your daughter still remembers it.

HauntedGabe: sorry to hear that Usually the characters are better at judging when to keep there distance from an uninterested or scared child. I'm glad you got it all settled peacefully.
    I think I felt worse for the CM then my DD. Felt soooo bad, likely DD got over it long before Jafar did.

We didn't know it at the time, but my DD has an over the top IQ. She retained stuff that we didn't know she retained as she was incredible quiet and drifted into her own little world often. What we didn't realize was she wasn't shy or a daydreamer, she was analyzing everyone and everything, absorbing. Her memories are amazing and almost creepy. As she learned to communicate more and she started sharing her memories it creeped me out. I discovered she could actually fluently read as she turned 4 in McDonalds. She just started reading everything there outloud. It was quite disconcerting at the moment, I didn't know how to process that. Then to discover the books I thought she was just paging through she could actually read. When she was a little older I asked her how she taught herself to read as a preschooler and told her how dumbfounded I was at the time. All she could say was she didn't understand our fuss and confusion 'cause everyone could read. Ahhhhh.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by arielfan
    she noticed my custom made Backside Of Water shirt
    So she listens to Lou's show? That's pretty cool.

lol who DOESN'T listen to Lou's show?
    Visits to Disney:

jeremiahgood

Prince Charming is offline B-Ticket Holder

Character Interactions - Birthday

Normally the CMs and characters wish you a Happy Birthday, when they see you wearing the birthday pin, but the roles were reversed on my last trip. I was eating at the Garden Grill and waiting for Mickey, Pluto, Chip and Dale to visit our table. When Mickey finally made his rounds, I suddenly noticed that he was wearing a birthday pin! I had never seen a character wear one in all of my previous visits. Well, what followed was a lot of fun interactions and photos with all of us and a chance for us to wish him, on this very momentous occasion, a Happy 85th Birthday!

Welcome to the Magic Kingdom!

Re: Character Interactions - Birthday

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Charming View Post
    Normally the CMs and characters wish you a Happy Birthday, when they see you wearing the birthday pin, but the roles were reversed on my last trip. I was eating at the Garden Grill and waiting for Mickey, Pluto, Chip and Dale to visit our table. When Mickey finally made his rounds, I suddenly noticed that he was wearing a birthday pin! I had never seen a character wear one in all of my previous visits. Well, what followed was a lot of fun interactions and photos with all of us and a chance for us to wish him, on this very momentous occasion, a Happy 85th Birthday!
    Oh how fun! I never thought to wish Mickey a Happy Birthday, he and my DD share the same Birthday.