Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By supernova
  • 1 Post By firemedic
  • 1 Post By WDW1014
  • 2 Post By supernova
Disney Characters Discuss Stave Church Norway-Out with the Vikings in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Last week the Stave church at Norway in Epcot was closed down and all signs of there being a viking exhibit in there are now gone. Disney has opted to ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Stave Church Norway-Out with the Vikings

Last week the Stave church at Norway in Epcot was closed down and all signs of there being a viking exhibit in there are now gone. Disney has opted to put the Princess Anna from Frozen into the Stave Church replica. This means the end of the authentic Norwegian viking exhibit that has been there for approximately 10 years.

The Norwegians built the first Stave Churches, or Stavkirke, around the year 1050. When St. Olaf brought Christianity to Norway, the Norwegians turned to the craft they knew best, woodworking, to build their new churches. They blended Christian symbols with Viking images to create these impressive buildings. note the wooden dragon heads decorating the eaves. Other European countries built wooden churches, but only Norway's are still standing. Of the 1,000 Norwegian Stave Churches built in the Middle Ages, 28 survive today. -All Ears-
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Re: Stave Church Norway-Out with the Vikings

And the educational experiences at EPCOT continue to go the way of the Princesses. Ahhhhhh.

There is something just not right about putting a princess exhibit into a church even if it is a replica. Guess Norway is Princessland now.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

The Stave Church is one of my favorite pieces of Epcot music, although I never hear the actual track while I'm in the church. But Jan Garbarek's input on the old Gregorian Chant is beautiful. The trouble is that the church is very tight, small, and smelly. And it's never crowded. I wonder how many people actually realize you can go in there, unless there's another person coming out and the door is open. Then, once inside, the display is underwhelming. I think it's one of the most out-front offerings in Epcot, with most builidings being set back from the main walk. And it still doesn't get traffic. But at least I'd stop in every couple of years. Now with the addition of Frozen, I can pretty much d@mn well guarantee I won't bother.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

I'm with ya. Right now anything can be cannibalized for a Princess photopass. Getting annoying.

Anna's digs in the Stave Church.

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder

The Disney management team needs to be cleaned out. Let's start anew!
    HauntedGabe likes this.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

They are. Since September, 9 high level, long term executives are gone that I know of and they collectively had 140 Disney Years. Unfortunately I think the ones they are tossing are the ones that are good and bucked choices of Iger and his cronies. Guest Relations has been inundated with so many MME issues, so they dumped the two, long term 1st in command and 2nd in command CR executives. But in reality, if they are projecting MME won't operate as planned for 2013 until 2015, what exactly were the two women suppose to do to defend the malfunctioning MME? They are chase'in their tails. Tossing the WDW head honcho out at a media invite only event luncheon, with hand picked attendees, with a script saying 'MME is the Single Best Thing we have ever done at WDW' has done nothing to right the ship. But they gave the attendees free, fully loaded Magic Bands to try and sway. Ugh.

All while Universal is launching new attractions at each coast, 2 of 9 now gone Disney executives (at least) are heading to Universal. Smart on Universals part.

I'm disappointed that they are cannibalizing the World Showcase for meet and greets. This is two now in Norway alone. Even if Frozen turns wildly popular it doesn't excuse turning the Stave Church into a meet and greet. The WS was something different than a typical theme park and turning it into character spots and meet and greets isn't improving the World Showcase.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    They are. Since September, 9 high level, long term executives are gone that I know of and they collectively had 140 Disney Years. Unfortunately I think the ones they are tossing are the ones that are good and bucked choices of Iger and his cronies. Guest Relations has been inundated with so many MME issues, so they dumped the two, long term 1st in command and 2nd in command CR executives. But in reality, if they are projecting MME won't operate as planned for 2013 until 2015, what exactly were the two women suppose to do to defend the malfunctioning MME? They are chase'in their tails. Tossing the WDW head honcho out at a media invite only event luncheon, with hand picked attendees, with a script saying 'MME is the Single Best Thing we have ever done at WDW' has done nothing to right the ship. But they gave the attendees free, fully loaded Magic Bands to try and sway. Ugh.

All while Universal is launching new attractions at each coast, 2 of 9 now gone Disney executives (at least) are heading to Universal. Smart on Universals part.

I'm disappointed that they are cannibalizing the World Showcase for meet and greets. This is two now in Norway alone. Even if Frozen turns wildly popular it doesn't excuse turning the Stave Church into a meet and greet. The WS was something different than a typical theme park and turning it into character spots and meet and greets isn't improving the World Showcase.
    Can you imagine that there was actually a time when there wasn't a single character at the parks? Ugh.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Can you imagine that there was actually a time when there wasn't a single character at the parks? Ugh.
    Yes. I do remember. There is plenty to grip about but at first blush I think my biggest pet peeve is what they are doing to Epcot. MK and the Studios should be more than enough. I don't have hate for characters but geesh Disney doesn't have to splat them everywhere.

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

There goes my favorite childhood attraction lol
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

My DS was kinda sad to see the ship go several years ago. Get it but there were a lot of memories from his childhood on that ship. He'd take his little gun from the pirates attraction and just blow off little kid WS pent up steam on the ship.

Just got back from WDW. The changes weren't terrible. They did try showing Norway and not shove Frozen down our throats. I feared it was going to turn into a commercial. Glad that wasn't the case.
    HauntedGabe and Evilduckqueen like this.