Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Cruise Line Discuss land/ sea package in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Hello, We are looking at the disney cruise for this Oct. Has anyone sailed during this time? I'm concerned about the weather. Also, which is better the extra day at ...
    pinklife is offline A-Ticket holder

land/ sea package

Hello, We are looking at the disney cruise for this Oct. Has anyone sailed during this time? I'm concerned about the weather. Also, which is better the extra day at sea or on land? And is it more economical for me to just book the cruise only and the land part separate? I plan to stay in the park. Thanks for your advice.

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: land/ sea package

Although I have not sailed during this time, I have heard that you should be flexible with your schedule around the time you go because of hurricanes. Sometimes cruises are cut short, lengthed, and they sometimes even have to dock in a different port (like Miami). Of course, this is rare, so you have to play it a little more by ear during this time of the year than the rest of the year.

I would do the extra day at sea, especially if you've been to WDW before and not on a Disney cruise. When we did a land/sea vacation, I wished our other day was spent on sea and not land - there's just so much to see and do!

I've also heard that booking seperately will save you money. That's what we did when we did a land/sea vacation and saved some money. I would recommend consulting with a travel agent (like Mousefan Travel or Dreams Unlimited if you're not sure), or you can call Disney or visit their website and run some numbers to see what will work in your particular situation.
    ~Ashleigh

Disnyfan83 is offline Fastpass Holder

October is smack dab in the middle of Hurricane season - but the great thing about being on a ship is that they can change their course to get out of the bad weather! I agree with Spodie that if you plan on traveling at that time, you just have to be aware that things can change with bad weather.

I would pick the extra day at sea as well. The Disney Cruise ships are truly some of the best ships at sea. There is so much to see and do on the ship, that you will start planning a 7 day cruise before you even get off!

The land/sea package is an easy way to go if you are planning on staying at the parks as well. It just makes getting to WDW and to Port Canaveral that much easier. Depending on what promotions are going on at the time - it can be cheaper to book them as separate trips, so be sure to have whoever you are working with price them out both ways for you to help you decide.
    Leslie Henson
    leslieH@mei-travel.com
    affiliated w/ MEI & Mouse Fan Travel

Old Magic Kingdom Tour Guides never retire -- we still tell people where to go and what to do!

Mary501 is offline A-Ticket holder

When I did my first Disney cruise, I chose the extra day at sea and was SO glad I did. There was just so much to do, 3 days would have left me feeling deprived. I would highly recommend it. My last cruise was during hurricane season (not October) and it just meant we sailed up and down the coast of Florida instead of a 2nd day at Castaway Cay.

If for some reason, they need to dock at a differnt port, Disney takes care of all the transportation back to Port Canaveral, Orlando airport or the parks. It's that extra magical touch.

I say go for it!
    DVC member since 2000 - Boardwalk Villas
    Magic Meets attendee 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 & 2009
    MagicMeets at Sea 2010
    Lou's Cruise on the Disney Dream 2/27/11
    Alaska cruise May 2011
    Deb's cruise on the Fantasy May 2012
    Lou's cruise November 2013
    Grand Floridian Villas May 2014
    WDWRadio cruise on Dream August 10, 2014
    Tag-o-mania October 2014