Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Cruise Line Discuss Cruisers robbed at gunpoint on Nassau shore excursion in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Mouse Planet reports and offers a good reminder. www.mouseplanet.com/9072/Walt_Disney_World_Resort_Update...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Cruisers robbed at gunpoint on Nassau shore excursion

Mouse Planet reports and offers a good reminder.

www.mouseplanet.com/9072/Walt_Disney_World_Resort_Update

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Cruisers robbed at gunpoint on Nassau shore excursion

Wow, that's horrible. I travelled to a lot of places when I was on active duty and visited many ports with the USMC and those dangers always exist.

DebšošS is offline There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday!
    1062.3 miles from my "Home Away From Home" resort Boardwalk Villas

Nassau is definately not a place to let your guard down. The minute you step off the ship you have to be aware of your surroundings.
    We had a terrible incident in 2000. We had just gotten off the ship and were walking toward the end of the pier when DS decided he wanted to go back to the ship. We finally agreed to let him go by himself after much discussion.We stood and watched as he walked back and all of a sudden he was attacked. We ran to him but by the time we got there DS had fought the attacker to the ground and freed his wallet that was connected by a cord to his shorts. All those years of martial arts paid off very quickly. DS was shaken but not injured. The attacker ran off before we could do anything. We've cruised to Nassau twice since and DS will not get off the ship.

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I'm not surprised. I went on a Disney cruise in 2008 and we toured Nassau for only an hour due to its scuzziness. I had a very uneasy feeling the whole time I was ashore with my family. I was very unimpressed with the Bahamas and if I were to ever go on another cruise which docked there, I'd stay on the ship in lieu of disembarking. Nassau has nothing I wish to see and I found the locals to be very aggressive. How many times do you have to tell someone you don't want your hair braided? The trash they sell at the "straw market" has less quality than what could be found at a typical garage sale. I wish Disney cruises spent the extra day at Castaway Cay instead of wasting time in Nassau.
    Last edited by elvistelth; 12-01-2009 at 07:17 PM.

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder

Thats why I won't go to Jamaica anymore. You couldn't breathe without trying to get hustled and that including on the excursions.
    We have a trip going on Carnival in November to the Bahamas and Nassau. This kind of junk makes me want to cancel and just go back to WDW instead.

dusten is offline C-Ticket Holder

I am unable to open the article above. Please cut and paste the article from Mouse Planet into the thread.
    WDW Radio Cruise 2011

Maturity is only a short break in adolescence.
    Friend me at www.facebook.com/dusten2
    Visit my website at www.dusten.cc

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Here ya go:
    Cruisers robbed at gunpoint on Nassau shore excursion

Eighteen passengers from the Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas and the Disney Wonder were robbed at gunpoint while on a Segway tour of Nassau, Bahamas on Friday, November 20.
    The cruisers were on a Segway tour of a 200-acre attraction called Earth Village. Disney's version is called "Segway Off Road Back to Nature." The nine Royal Caribbean passengers and their tour guide were accosted by two men with shotguns, who ordered them to the ground and took their money, passports, cell phones, credit cards, and more. The nine Disney passengers and their guide happened upon the scene and were similarly treated.

Among the 18 cruisers were Americans, Canadians, Irish, and Chinese citizens. Both cruise lines have cancelled the tour from future itineraries. None of the tourists were injured in the attack.

In a statement, Disney Cruise Line noted that their teams both on board and in Nassau worked with the guests, provided assistance, and made sure that their needs were met. The statement also noted that the crime was being investigated by the Bahamian police.

This once again goes to prove that while you may be on vacation and traveling with Disney, you still need to be aware of your surroundings, and be aware that criminals can be anywhere. This is especially true when you leave a cruise ship in a foreign port, as Disney does not have complete control over the environment.

dusten is offline C-Ticket Holder

The latest news is they caught one of the 2 guys, but he may be out of prison in 6 months. Although robbery of the Segway tour may never happen again, I still think they should offer a Segway tour on Castaway Cay (in place of the one in Nassau). This event brought to light just how serious the violent crime problem is at Nassau and hopefully can get authorities to take the problem more seriously. One of the victims said he thought the police did a terrible job of taking a police report and had no interest in contacting him later about the crime.

Report: Suspect in armed robbery of cruisers in Nassau had been out on bail - Cruise Log - USATODAY.com

The Nassau Guardian Online Guide
    WDW Radio Cruise 2011

Maturity is only a short break in adolescence.
    Friend me at www.facebook.com/dusten2
    Visit my website at www.dusten.cc

Quote Originally Posted by dusten View Post
    One of the victims said he thought the police did a terrible job of taking a police report and had no interest in contacting him later about the crime.
    That's not surprising to me.