Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Cruise Line Discuss A Cool Opportunity That Is Only Related To The Cruise Due To It's Time Frame in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I just posted something on my blog Dizneluver's World (its the entry for July 1, 2010 about the last space shuttle launch) that might be of interest for those who ...
    dizneluver is offline C-Ticket Holder
    WAY TO FAR AWAY FROM EITHER DISNEYLAND OR DISNEY WORLD :( (Colorado) :)

A Cool Opportunity That Is Only Related To The Cruise Due To It's Time Frame

I just posted something on my blog Dizneluver's World (its the entry for July 1, 2010 about the last space shuttle launch) that might be of interest for those who are going to be in the Central Florida area the day before we embark on the WDW Radio Cruise.

It is my hope to be able do both Shuttle Launch Viewing and the Illuminations Dessert but I am going to have to do some more investigating to see if that is possible.

My email address is on the post so email me if you are interested and I will let you know what I find out

TTFN
    Kelly D aka NDA#5 and one of Lou's BOX PEOPLE <><
    Lover of ALL THINGS DISNEY since I was 9 months old which includes going to the Parks with undiagnosed ADHD until I was 33 years old (still go to the Parks but with the knowledge now that I live with ADHD):

Disabilities/Special Needs Forum Moderator for The Disney Echo Forums

Visit my blog DIZNELUVER'S WORLD

Deck 7 COOL KID

Jaxum is offline D-Ticket Holder

Re: A Cool Opportunity That Is Only Related To The Cruise Due To It's Time Frame

I just saw the news also. Seems it was pushed back, and will now be going up on the 26th. The day before the cruise.
    Jaxum- Disneyland Aficionado!
    Disneyland, WDW, and DLPR Annual Passholder
    D23 1st Day Charter Member
    My Disneyland and WDW videos and photos!
    http://youtube.com/tkfore21 .... http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaxum_readis/sets/

Disney days for 2009:
    Disneyland:(27) / Tokyo Parks:(4) / WDW:(19)
    Total Days in the parks for 2009: 50!
    Disney Days for 2010:
    Disneyland: (27) / WDW:(31) / DLRP: (6)
    Total Days in the parks for 2010: 63!
    Disney Days for 2011:
    Disneyland: (0) / WDW:(17)
    Total Days so far in the parks for 2010: 17!

D23 and Other events:
    Expo '09, Candlelight Spectacular '09, Magic and Merriment '09, D23 Anniversary DL/WDW, Studio Tour April '10, Disney Archives 40th Anniversary, Destination D: Disneyland 55, Disneyland Scavenger Hunt, Sip and Stroll '10, Tangled Screening, TRON Pop-up Shop, Magic & Merriment '10, Everest Challenge '09, Adventurer's Club Weekend '09, DL Candlelight '09, Gumball Rally '10, WDW Radio 24 Hour Live Show '10, Disneyland's 55th Anniversary, Pacific Northwest Mouse Meet '10, Mickey's Halloween 5k '10,WDW Radio Walkabout '10, ConGaloosh '10, DL Candlelight '10

Re: A Cool Opportunity That Is Only Related To The Cruise Due To It's Time Frame

yup...and like I said in my blog post even if they have to move it to the 27th, we can see it from the ship cuz the Port is close to the Cape.
    Lover of ALL THINGS DISNEY since I was 9 months old which includes going to the Parks with undiagnosed ADHD until I was 33 years old (still go to the Parks but with the knowledge now that I live with ADHD):

Deck 7 COOL KID

dzneynut is offline Trivia Nut & Supplier of Games

I wouldn't hold my breath in anticipation of a successful shuttle launch during the first planned launch window. It's only a 10 minute launch window, which doesn't give them much wiggle room for unplanned events like cold weather, thunderstorms, high winds, leaky valves, bad sensors, wayward boats, etc. They are overly cautious when it comes to a launch commitment; it doesn't take much to scrub a launch.
    We've been fortunate enough to see several shuttle launches from WDW (one night launch happened during one of Lou's Mousefest meets!) We've planned on several occasions to catch a shuttle launch during one of our trips to WDW, even obtaining a causeway pass, to no avail.
    If there's a launch during our trip to Port Canaveral, wonderful! That would be gravy on a great trip everyone has planned on a new Disney ship. If it happens, it happens. But, I wouldn't depend on it!
    God bless the crews of the space shuttle's Challenger & Columbia.
    JamesD
    dzneynut@wdwradio.com

My DVD Profiler Collection

Future Disney Trips:
    Oct. 26-Nov. 2, 2013 staying at Beach Club Villas for my birthday and Food & Wine Festival!
    Nov. 2-9, 2013 for WDWRadio Cruise aboard the Disney Fantasy!

goofy623 is offline A-Ticket holder

That would be cool to see if all the stars align. I have never got to see a shuttle launch & it would be very interesting to see.

Carolla is offline C-Ticket Holder

I have seen one from WDW (Watched it take off over Mexico in Epcot , one from the coast of Florida (near West Palm Beach, night take off VERY cool, you could see that rocket for miles!) and one from the beach near the cape. (WOW!)

So if we don't get this one I can't complain. But reallly trying to plan a trip around one of these is risky. I was just in the area all three times!

I am not planning this trip around the shuttle launch...just excited that it is slated to happen around the time that I am already going to be there for the cruise.

I have seen shuttle launches from various places in Orlando since I lived there for four and half years....my favorite had to be the summer that I worked at Sea World and watched it on the Shamu Stadium big screen and then saw the actual craft lift up behind the big screen about five minutes later.

Like I said it has always been a dream of mine to see a shuttle launch in person from the coast and if it doesn't end up happening SO BE IT...I will be fine...thank you very much!

Deck 7 COOL KID

AquaDame is offline A-Ticket holder

I am also hoping they miraculously stick with the launch on the 26th - we are definitely going to try and get tickets and go if they do! Even winning a slot in the lottery would be a cool souvenir since it's the 'last' (although now they are trying to make the emergency backup shuttle the 'last'... but then where is THEIR backup, hmm?!)

dzneynut is offline Trivia Nut & Supplier of Games

NASA Targets Shuttle Discovery's Launch For No Earlier Than Feb. 3

WASHINGTON -- NASA managers have targeted space shuttle Discovery's launch for no earlier than Feb. 3 at 1:34 a.m. EST. Shuttle managers determined more tests and analysis are needed before proceeding with the launch of the STS-133 mission to the International Space Station.

The Program Requirements Control Board met Thursday and reviewed engineering evaluations associated with cracks on two 21-foot-long, U-shaped aluminum brackets, called stringers, on the shuttle's external tank. NASA repaired the cracks and reapplied foam to the exterior of the stringers.

Managers decided the analysis and tests required to launch Discovery safely are not complete. They are planning to conduct an instrumented test on the external fuel tank and structural evaluations on stringer test articles to determine if the analysis is correct. Details and timelines for the tanking test are in work, but plans call for temperature and strain gauge measurements in the intertank region near the top of the tank during the test.

The test also will verify the integrity of repairs made earlier when two cracked stringer sections and foam were replaced. A team of engineers and technicians will inspect the tank for evidence of any foam cracking as it would on an actual launch day. The test also will verify the integrity of repairs to the Ground Umbilical Carrier Plate, which leaked an unsafe amount of gaseous hydrogen during Discovery's Nov. 5 launch attempt. The date of the test is under evaluation, but likely will occur this month.

Engineers will continue to search for the root cause of the stringer cracks through data analysis and tests, including placement of manufacturing defects in separate stringers to demonstrate structural integrity in an effort to duplicate the same type of failure that occurred in November.

NASA will review and analyze the data from the tests before setting a launch date. Because of Discovery's delayed launch, the earliest opportunity for the liftoff of the final scheduled shuttle mission, STS-134 on Endeavour, is April 1.

For continued STS-133 updates as well as crew and mission information, visit:

NASA - Shuttle
    JamesD
    dzneynut@wdwradio.com

My DVD Profiler Collection

Future Disney Trips:
    Oct. 26-Nov. 2, 2013 staying at Beach Club Villas for my birthday and Food & Wine Festival!
    Nov. 2-9, 2013 for WDWRadio Cruise aboard the Disney Fantasy!

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

Seeing STS-104 go up in the early hours of the morning remains one of the greatest things I have ever witnessed, but the fleet should have been banished to the museums a decade ago. I do not think history will judge the STS particularly well, especially given what it followed. Best of luck to you guys in watching it though. I hope the weather is with you.
    Last edited by 20K; 12-03-2010 at 03:16 PM.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney