Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Disney Cruise Line Discuss Infants on a cruise in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Originally Posted by Carolla Not sure where you are flying to/from but I will warn you. There is RARELY "space" anymore on planes. And I have read that SW often ...
    DippyDawg44 is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Infants on a cruise

Quote Originally Posted by Carolla View Post
    Not sure where you are flying to/from but I will warn you. There is RARELY "space" anymore on planes. And I have read that SW often just won't let you take the carseat to "claim" the empty seat if you don't pay for it. (This seems to vary based on SW agent)
    Quote Originally Posted by two-foxes View Post
    I kind of agree with Corolla...it will be tough finding an open seat. There have only been 2 times we have not purchased seats for our sons when we flew (I am a bit obsessive about flight safety)...and we were able to have an open seat on one of those 4 legs. And that was on a trip to Cleveland in Feb...not a high demand location

It comes down to this....do what you are comfortable with. If your Uppababy stroller folds fairly compact, you should be able to store it in the closet or under the bed. When we had DSs Britax Roundabout with us, we stored it in our closet hanging from the stroller bag we bought. It just makes things a bit tight. I personally think it is a waste of money to rent a seat from a car rental company and I always bring ours for the boys. We are lucking out on this trip as my folks are snow birds in Florida and will have their car with them and we will store the car seats in there while we are on the cruise.

I think you said you cruised before, so remember the bags do not have a friendly voyage from the port to the ship, so I would just be sure to use your car seat with the stroller when when boarding just to make sure it isn't tossed around too much, if you bring the carseat/stroller.
    Thanks for the tips. We are flying from Phoenix on a direct flight. We were planning on just having him on our laps for the flight, but just in case we can get an open seat we would have to travel with the car seat. May not be worth it unless we bring the stroller that fits the car seat. Just trying to figure what we should bring and what we should rent, keeping in mind it's just the two of us and we don't want to pack too heavy! I need a 5 month old travel packing list, so we consider everything we should bring or not bring. This will be a big learning experience for us, exciting and nerve racking at the same time.

DVCsince02 is offline ~~~ Official SES Member ~~~ Enabler!!! ~~~ O ~~~ Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by DippyDawg44 View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm Beaky's husband and we are very excited about the upcoming WDWRadio Cruise!! Thanks for all the great tips as we freak out on how to pack and plan for this trip (and we are frequent WDW, DL & DCL travelers) with our baby! We are just so unsure how to plan and what to bring (which stroller, car seat, etc). I guess we have to play somethings by ear and be flexible, but it will be interesting.

Anyone know how late the nursery is open at night if we want to get some drinks with the fellow WDW Radio cruisers after the shows?

The nursery is open until 11pm. If you need to schedule additional hours, you can do so at the desk after the first 24 hours is up. They want to give everyone a chance to sign up.

We have used the nursery several times and Jill has given great advice.

If you do run out of diapers, you can just go to the local grocery store in port to buy more. Yes, they sell very small packs of diapers in the gift shop and they are very expensive.

We normally schedule the nursery for after dinner during shows/fireworks.

Remember to take a small diaper bag to the nursery with diapers, wipes, bottles, and snacks. They will serve apple juice and crackers if you ask them.
    Jen DH DD7 DS5 DS2

1979-FWC ~ 3/89-Offsite ~ 6/99-CBR ~ 11/01-ASMu ~ 5/04-OKW ~ 11/04-BCV ~ 9/05-SSR ~ 5/07-SSR ~ 12/07-SSR ~ 5/08-OKW ~ 5/09-BCV&DCL&BWV ~
    6/09-AKV&DCL&BWV ~ 12/09-SSR ~ 12/10-VWL&DCL&BLT ~ 10/11-BCV (F&W) ~ 8/2012 DCL in NYC ~ 10/2012 DCL Fantasy ~ 2014 DLR-PARIS ~ 2016 Aulani

Communicoregal is offline A-Ticket holder

Hey,

We too are traveling with an infant (6 months at cruise time) on Lou's Cruise. I have started to make a list of all the things we'll need and man is it way too much. lol. We normally use bottles that have multiple pieces and have decided to make it easier and bought Playtex drop ins where we only have to clean the nipples. We also have a baby who has reflux and spits up a lot.

As for outfits, I know Florida is warmer than we are in MA but it's still on the chilly side. So I guess we'll be bringing the range of clothes from shorts to long sleeves and sweatshirts. Thank goodness baby clothes are small.

We thankfully have family in FL so if we don't want to pack too many diapers we can just have them pick some up for us ...

Michelle

two-foxes is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by Communicoregal View Post
    Hey,

We too are traveling with an infant (6 months at cruise time) on Lou's Cruise. I have started to make a list of all the things we'll need and man is it way too much. lol. We normally use bottles that have multiple pieces and have decided to make it easier and bought Playtex drop ins where we only have to clean the nipples. We also have a baby who has reflux and spits up a lot.

As for outfits, I know Florida is warmer than we are in MA but it's still on the chilly side. So I guess we'll be bringing the range of clothes from shorts to long sleeves and sweatshirts. Thank goodness baby clothes are small.

We thankfully have family in FL so if we don't want to pack too many diapers we can just have them pick some up for us ...

Michelle
    Do you normally use Dr Browns? DS#1 lived in a bib for the first year of his life because of reflux, too! We ended up using playtex drop ins all the time after using Dr Browns for months with him. Love them! You may just be hooked on the drop in's after the cruise!
    [CENTER]Jill, Tim and the crazy boys Merrick (3) and Reagan James (1)

Nah, we usually use the Playtex Ventaire bottles. We tried out the drop ins in the last couple nights. She took forever with the nipples (slowflow) they came with so I bought the medium flow and she took her normal time. With the Ventaire they only come slow and fast, and the fast is too fast.

So we are all set with bottles now

I've been slowly packing her things and writing a list as not to forget anything. We also bought ready made formula in individual cans as to make things a little easier for the cruise. Thankfully they were on sale because that stuff isn't cheap.

I'm worried about the pack and play though. Leah normally sleeps in her crib and naps in her bouncy chair or with us after her first bottle. She never sleeps in a pack n play unless she's at my parents house. I'll definitely have to sleep with her sheet so she at least smells something familiar.

Any suggestions?

Michelle

Nah, we usually use the Playtex Ventaire bottles. We tried out the drop ins in the last couple nights. She took forever with the nipples (slowflow) they came with so I bought the medium flow and she took her normal time. With the Ventaire they only come slow and fast, and the fast is too fast.

So we are all set with bottles now

I've been slowly packing her things and writing a list as not to forget anything. We also bought ready made formula in individual cans as to make things a little easier for the cruise. Thankfully they were on sale because that stuff isn't cheap.

I'm worried about the pack and play though. Leah normally sleeps in her crib and naps in her bouncy chair or with us after her first bottle. She never sleeps in a pack n play unless she's at my parents house. I'll definitely have to sleep with her sheet so she at least smells something familiar.

Any suggestions?

Michelle
    We will definately have to meet up and exchange tips during the trip!! We are so glad to hear there are some others with infants on the cruise. Do you plan on using the Small World Nursery?

Our son (Nathan) has reflux very bad and spits up a river after every meal so we will most likely have a bag of just burp clothes. We use the Dr. Brown bottles and were just going to bring them and clean them in the room. Where do you get ready made formula? Sounds like a nice idea.

Nathan sometimes takes a nap in his pack and play and we took him on a trip to Disneyland two weeks ago for bit of a dry run and he slept pretty good in the pack and play.

Our biggest worry is that he is a very fussy baby and gets bored very quick so walking around with him in the stroller upsets him after a while (unless he falls asleep). The restaurants will be interesting, but we are going to have to play a lot by ear and be flexible with his moods and try and keep him distracted as much as possible.

You are sooooo ahead of us on making lists, we feel like we are behind the curve now. I guess we better get cracking!!

Well, can't wait to see everyone and enjoy the beautiful new ship, let us know if you have any other tips between now and the cruise.

Dan

Hey Dan,

Meeting up sounds like a great idea. What deck are you guys on? We're on Deck 7. When is Nathan's Birthday?

Leah's reflux is pretty bad as well. Sometimes she spits up a little and sometimes it is a river. She's on Zantac which seems to help a little, but we're hoping she grows out of it soon. As for burp cloths that's another thing I'm nervous about. I really don't want to do laundry but I know it's inevitable but I'm not looking forward to it. If anything we'll meet in the laundry area lol.

So far we have reservations at Palo on night 1 so Leah will be in the small world nursery 6pm to 8:30 that night. We have 7.5 hours left to use. Trying to figure out when we'd like to use that time. Are you going to use the nursery?

What kind of formula do you use? We use Goodstart Gentle Plus and Babies R Us carries cases of 24 cans. We'll use powder at Disney but we thought ready made would be helpful on the plane and on the ship. Most formula's come in ready made though unless you use a special formula for the reflux.

Leah also gets fussy easily, although she's been better lately. Usually only fussy when overtired or bored. I sound more prepared than I actually am. I now walk around on a normal day and say oh, I'll need that for the cruise and make a note of it or toss it by all the cruise stuff I have "packed". I usually make lists for myself, but I haven't had time for that. Our luggage got busted on our last trip so we still have to buy new stuff. Ugh...

Can't wait to meet you guys either and everyone else and their beautiful/handsome babies.

Michelle

We are on Deck 8 (8072). Nathan's birthday is September 15th. He is also on Zantac and Prevacid for the reflux although we are starting to try and wean him off. He's only been on formula for two weeks now since my wife had to stop breastfeeding and we use the exact same formula you do. We will look for those can next time we are in Babies R Us as they may be useful. We know we will be doing laundry multiple times during the trip, just a fact of life now I guess. We are doing back to back cruises and then will be at Disney World for a week after the second cruise. We are going to be staying at a 1 bedroom DVC unit after the cruise so at least we'll have a washer and dryer in the room. I'm sure we'll have to hit a Target or something near Disney World to pick up some diapers and formula so we don't have to travel with so much.

I am going to start making a list this week so we can start to figure out what we need to take, you have inspired me

Hey Dan,

Those cans are 39.99 but if you can find a coupon I think it'd be worth it. Less water you'd have to carry with you.

I'm jealous that you're doing back to back cruises. We're arriving at the World on the 25th(Beach Club), cruising then back to the world (Poly) and then leaving to go home on March 5th.

What size diapers is Nathan wearing?

Michelle

Hey Dan,

Those cans are 39.99 but if you can find a coupon I think it'd be worth it. Less water you'd have to carry with you.

I'm jealous that you're doing back to back cruises. We're arriving at the World on the 25th(Beach Club), cruising then back to the world (Poly) and then leaving to go home on March 5th.

What size diapers is Nathan wearing?

Michelle
    I will check out the can situation for sure, thanks for the tip. We're arriving on the 25th as well and staying at Port Orleans Riverside. Are you doing the Illuminations dessert party on Saturday? We're planning on it, hopefully Nathan will cooperate and hang in there with us or sleep in his stroller (fingers crossed)!!

He is ready to move into the Pampers Stage 2 diapers, but we have some Stage 1's left and are trying to use those up before we switch (I know, bad parents).

Can't believe we leave three weeks from tomorrow, WOW....I really better get packing...this darn work thing is keeping me busy, arrrrrgh!!

Hey Dan,

Yes, we are doing the illuminations party and also hope that Leah will behave. Lol. Worst case we'll have 2 fussy babies. Chances are nobody else will even notice. Leah is normally pretty good out and about unless she's overtired. We'll definitely make sure to find you and say hi. Leah is in size 2 ( just moved into them about 2 weeks ago. We'll probably bring size 2 and 3's just in case.

TheAncientBahu is offline A-Ticket holder

Maybe I'm just being too casual about everything because this is our 4th child, but I'm really not worried about anything at this point. Lol! Truth be told, I'm probably casual because my wife is super organized and I never have to worry about anything when she's handling it. ;-)

Just had a weight check for Leah on Wednesday. Looks like we're bringing size 3 diapers with us lol. She is now 16 lbs...Yikes. I swear the formula can didn't say Miracle grow lol.

I hope you are all doing well. We're still slowly packing

Michelle

Just had a weight check for Leah on Wednesday. Looks like we're bringing size 3 diapers with us lol. She is now 16 lbs...Yikes. I swear the formula can didn't say Miracle grow lol.

I hope you are all doing well. We're still slowly packing

Michelle
    Nathan had his weigh in about two weeks ago and was up to 14 lbs 15 ounces and he is solidly in size 2 diapers. We just added rice cereal to his diet so he may be packing more pounds on by the day so planning what clothes to bring is getting tricky because we don't want to decide too soon and then he out grows the outift by the trip.

Our packing hasn't really started yet, however we are working on some lists and this weekend we intend on getting serious about the trip preperation.

Leaving two weeks from today and getting very excited!!!!

TheAncientBahu is offline A-Ticket holder

My little Chubb just turned 7 months old. He's almost 21 lbs and by the time we cruise he'll have his bottom front two teeth and be crawling.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast