Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Cruise Line Discuss To cruise or not to cruise... in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I have never cruised, Disney or otherwise, but am feeling very tempted to. I live just outside Orlando and generally just take day trips (at least monthly) to visit Mickey ...
    disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe

To cruise or not to cruise...

I have never cruised, Disney or otherwise, but am feeling very tempted to. I live just outside Orlando and generally just take day trips (at least monthly) to visit Mickey but would love to have an extended vacation to look forward to and plan. I would love to hear back from folks who have taken a Disney cruise...was it a good value? would you go again? where did you go and for how long? have any of you cruised with young kids? would two adults sans kids enjoy a disney cruise? (i'm torn between taking my five year old or enjoying an adult vacation and saving his trip for when he is a little older). Thanks in advance for all the excellent avice!
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: To cruise or not to cruise...

I took my family on a Disney cruise in 2008 and would love to go again. We had an inside cabin and I didn't find that to be a problem, although a balcony would have been more fun. We loved Castaway Cay & hated Nassau. It was a memorable experience. I live in S. Florida so we had to drive up to Port Canaveral. Ft. Lauderdale would have been a lot more convenient but it was worth the drive.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

I'll let you know when I get back from mine in March.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

The only cruise I have been on was way back in 1991. It was a Disney Cruise on The Big Red Boat. It was a great experience and we had a great time. This was before children and we just had a wonderful time. I would go again in a heartbeat.

The best food I ever ate on that cruise were the hot dogs on the beach. Not sure why I remember that.

wallfan329 is offline Working on becoming a Disney CPer

My family went twice. Once in 2003 and the other time in 2005. We loved it. My mom and dad had their night club things to go to and had a blast. The kids areas are super fun (I was 8 and 10). I also hated Nassau. In 2003 we kind free-styled it, stayed close to the ship, we spent about an hour there and the rest of the day was spent on the boat ( We probably a bit longer if I did not get sick that day.) In 2005 we toured Atlantis, that was pretty cool. Castaway Cay is amazing. I think it is worth price. We totally will go again if we got the choice. I think the dream is going to be good for younger kids. ( I wish it was around when I was little.) I think your five year old would have fun.
    Mckayla
    My Disney College Program blog...everything from KSU life to getting ready for Spring 2015

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫
    2001(PO),2003(BC and DCL Magic),2004(ASM),2005(Poly and DCL Magic),2006(HH & OKW),2007(SSR),2009(WL),2010(BW,Pop and Vero),2011(OKW),2012(AKL & OKW),2012(Pop, Reunion),2013(Band Trip/Birthday Trip...AoA/Off Property),2014(OKW,Pop and DCL Dream)
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

I've taken multiple cruises, most of them Disney.

I think cruises in general are better values than most other forms of vacation. Most cruise fares include all your entertainment (minus shore excursions), include all of your food for the trip, your lodging, and many drinks (though some cruise lines make you pay additional for beverages other than water). When you add it all together, you're very likely to spend less money on a Disney cruise than you would if you're looking at flying/driving down to Florida, buying park tickets, paying for an onsite hotel, and then paying for all the meals you're going to have. Yes, I would go again on a Disney cruise. To date I have taken three, and am booked for a fourth in 2012.

Our first Disney cruise was a 4-day on the Wonder to Nassau. Our second a 7-day Western Caribbean on the Magic. Our third a 3-day on the Wonder to Nassau, and our upcoming trip in 2012 will be a 7-day Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy. I must be in the minority, because I have no feelings of hating Nassau. Its ok. Again, in the minority here, but I found Castaway Cay to be just "okay". I'm not a beach person. My favorite of the places I've visited with Disney would have to be Grand Cayman on the Western Caribbean cruise, with my least favorite as Cozumel, Mexico, due to the pushy shop owners that did everything but attack you and pull you into their shop to try to get you to buy something. (Remember the old scene of El Rio Del Tiempo in Epcot's Mexico where the shopkeepers were trying to get you to buy something? ---- How true it is!) I've never cruised with kids, but from what I've seen they quite enjoy it, and yes, just a couple adults can have heaps of fun on a Disney cruise. Contrary to popular belief, Disney cruises are not crawling with kids, its not a "kids cruise". It can be enjoyed by the whole family, kids and adults alike.

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I'm with you. I have never been on a cruise. We were contemplating a land sea package this year but we're only doing the land, WDW. After seeing all the pictures and whatnot of the Dream, we're considering a cruise again. I'm pretty sure the only cruise I would do is with Disney.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

I found a 7 night western carribean for january 12 at $700 based on double occupancy...thats 100/day for food, entertainment and lodging. Pretty hard to beat me thinks!

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Quote Originally Posted by disneydarling View Post
    I found a 7 night western carribean for january 12 at $700 based on double occupancy...thats 100/day for food, entertainment and lodging. Pretty hard to beat me thinks!
    700$ with flight included, THAT would be a deal! Of course you don't have airfare to worry about which is a savings right there, ma grenouille.

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

I've done a few non Disney cruises and really enjoyed them, if you're looking for a relaxing vacation, cruises are great, you don't do much, just eat, sit and sleep. I guess the same you would do at a beach resort except you're on water, I'd suggest a room with a balcony, not being able to look outside kinda bugged me. (Tried both an inside cabin and a balcony one).

You can just walk down from canada right? Maybe we could find a cheaper non disney deal for megaline 2012?

JohnO is offline C-Ticket Holder

Cool Re: To cruise or not to cruise...

We've been on three. The last one was the best vacation we have EVER had. It was a 7 night eastern caribbean aboard the Disney Magic.

The first DCL cruise we did was a 3 night on the Wonder. It was great but far too short. The we did a 4 night on the Wonder. It was great, especially the day at sea, but also too short.

While we were on the 4 night, we booked the 7 night. We chose the eastern because of the 3 days at sea. So relaxing!

We went to St. Martin, St. Thomas and Castaway Cay. The kids absolutely loved all of the cruises.
    77- Disneyland 89- Disneyland 94- WDW ASSp 95- WDW OKW 98- WDW Hol.Inn MG 99- WDW Off Prop. 06- WDW ASMov 2/8 -2/16 07- WDW Pop 2/4 - 2/14 07- WDW All Star Mus 9/11 - 9/17 08- WDW ASMov 10/27 - 10/30 08- DCL Wonder 10/30 - 11/2 09- WDW AS Mov 9/21 - 9/27 09- DCL Wonder 9/27 - 10/1 10- WDW Off Prop. 4/23- 4/25 10- DCL Magic 7ngt Estrn 10/23-10/30 10- WDW CSR 10/30-11/1 12 - POR 1/8 - 1/15 392 Miles from WDW
    I Survived the 40 Hr Live Show Oct. 1 - 2/2011
    Johnoinsc in 'The Box'

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

i am doing the same thing..do i wanna go to disneyland or do i wanna go on a cruise.. i have told myself i wont go back to disneyworld until all the work is done in a couple years in the mean tikme i plan to do some of the other things and places disney has to offer.. i think i'm leaning towards the cruise even though i really really wanna go to disneyland
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy