Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disney Cruise Line Discuss March Cruise Help! in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Going on my first cruise aboard a Disney ship in Feb 27 - March 3. I have a few questions: 1. Are you going? If so, would love to meet ...
    nrhenley is offline A-Ticket holder

March Cruise Help!

Going on my first cruise aboard a Disney ship in Feb 27 - March 3. I have a few questions:

1. Are you going? If so, would love to meet you here and there
    2. Do they have dress up nights? By this my question is two fold, dress up as in nice clothing and dress up as in pirate costume. I just want to be able to pack appropriately.
    3. Is there anything my son, age 5, should bring for onboard activities? Again, the dress up bit comes to mind. I do not want him to feel left out.
    4. Are there lifejackets for the little ones onboard? We have one we could bring but typically use those provided by Disney when they are available.
    5. Does anyone know where to get the sea sickness prevention bands? I have no idea where to find them or where to look in the actual store!

I appreciate your help!

Natalie H.
    Meet the Magic
    http://meetthemagic.com

Mike Fink is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: March Cruise Help!

Quote Originally Posted by nrhenley View Post
    Going on my first cruise aboard a Disney ship in Feb 27 - March 3. I have a few questions:

2. Do they have dress up nights? By this my question is two fold, dress up as in nice clothing and dress up as in pirate costume. I just want to be able to pack appropriately.
    3. Is there anything my son, age 5, should bring for onboard activities? Again, the dress up bit comes to mind. I do not want him to feel left out.
    4. Are there lifejackets for the little ones onboard? We have one we could bring but typically use those provided by Disney when they are available.
    5. Does anyone know where to get the sea sickness prevention bands? I have no idea where to find them or where to look in the actual store!

I appreciate your help!

Natalie H.
    Meet the Magic
    We're going and will be on Deck 6. My son is 5 too so I'm sure we'll run into each other.

Not sure about the dress up night. I think Lou mentioned in last week's newscast that dress up night is optional. You do need to dress up for Palo and Remy.

There are tons of activities available for kids. I suggest packing light and leaving toys at home (unless there's a special animal or security blanket).

There are lifejackets for everyone.

The seasickness bands are available at Walgreens.

Natalie finally made it over here!!!!

Let's get together..yeah, yeah, yeah!!

I plan on dressing nicer for the Royal Palace. And of course for Pirate night!!!

Your 5 year is going to live in the kids club. He's not going to want to come out!

Can you take Bonine for sea sickness?

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

I'm going to dress up every night, but more so for our Palo dinner and the dress up dinner night. My bf loves dressing up and wants to be in a suit as much as possible haha (or at least a tie) and I'm packing a few dresses
    If you're not doing Palo though it's optional, so if you don't like dressing up then you don't have to- I know a lot of people don't like having to dress up on vacation. For us it's a fun thing that we don't get to do everyday

My sister gets carsick and my mom bought the motion sickness bands from CAA (which is the Canadian AAA, same company) so I would say check out AAA! Also my bf felt sick on his last cruise and was told by someone to just keep his belly full and as soon as he ate he felt better. Any time he was hungry again he would start to feel nauseous, so I would say if you feel sick don't not eat cause of it, try having a snack to see if you feel better!

Quote Originally Posted by lorilovestigger View Post
    Your 5 year is going to live in the kids club. He's not going to want to come out!

Can you take Bonine for sea sickness?
    Thanks for the reply! When we looked online at the rooms for the kids to play in, they looked so media heavy. I was wondering if he would even be old enough for it. He will be 5 only 2 weeks by then.

Bonine. I saw that today when I was looking for the bands. What is the difference between that and the dramamine? Bands?

Thanks!
    Natalie
    Meet the Magic

Do they have dramamine onboard or buy some?

LUVdisny is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by nrhenley View Post

Natalie H.
    Meet the Magic
    Hi Natalie...
    I think you are on Deck 6? I am also.....I was making a list for FE gifts.....would love to meet you too.... I'm in 6060...My son-in-laws Mom is in 6062 and my Daughter, s-i-l and so to be 4 yr old granddaughter are in 6064.
    2....We don't plan on going to Palo or Remy.... taking nice dressy type clothes for dinner.... they also have a pirate night....and you always have the option of dressing in costume for that.....my daughter and sil already have costumes from a Halloween party.... I made outfit for my granddaughter....
    3. I don't know about activities for your son.... we are bringing the usual things for gd....because we are flying and also will be at WDW before and after cruise
    4. I am all most certain life jackets are provided..... but will do some checking.... by the way..... where are the lifeboats
    5. I got seabands at Walgreens.....I plan on getting another pair....

Looking forward to meeting in a couple of weeks.....
    IVA

Mary jo is offline Fastpass Holder

The Disney Dream is a huge boat with innovative stabilizers that reduce the likeliness of passengers from getting motion sickness. Most people will not have any problems on the cruise with nausea or motion sickness without even taking a single medication or using a single device. With that being said, if you get sick easily in a car or on a boat, then below are your best options.

Dramamine (original formulation) is Dimenhydrinate, an antihistamine. It is very effective in treating motion sickness. However, it is very sedating. I would only recommend it prophylactically if you are extremely sensitive to motion because of the sedation involved. Otherwise, just take it as treatment. I would bring it with you, but don't take unless you feel like you're getting sick.

Bonine or Dramamine Less Drowsy formulation is Meclizine (Antivert by prescription), also an antihistamine. It is considered a little less effective in the treatment of nausea and motion sickness, but also has less drowsiness associated with it. It would be a better option in preventitive if you are predisposed to motion sickness.

There is also Trans-Scop Patches sold by prescription. The patch is worn behind the ear for 72 hours to prevent motion sickness. A new patch is applied after 72 hours. This is your most expensive option, but also has a great efficacy rate in prevention and low sedating effects (less than 16%).

Sea-bands work by applying continuous pressure by means of a plastic stud on the P6 acupressire point between the two central tendons near the wrist. Many people find them helpful, but my question is whether the person using them would have had motion sickness in the first place. I find no harm in them, but some do question the possible placebo effect of this device.

This is my pharmaceutical two cents.
    Mary Jo
    Listen for Storytime with MoJo

I am not sure, Mary Jo, why I had not thought to ask you that in the first place! Do they have these items in their first aid stations, etc. if you do not buy them ahead of time?

I picked up SEA BANDS at wal-mart.... also got some Bonine(chewables)
    also picked up MotionEASE.... it is a lotion that you put behind the back of your ear lobe....it is suppose to be good for kids.....

If I don't open them - I'll take them back after the trip.....

I picked up SEA BANDS at wal-mart.... also got some Bonine(chewables)
    also picked up MotionEASE.... it is a lotion that you put behind the back of your ear lobe....it is suppose to be good for kids.....

If I don't open them - I'll take them back after the trip.....

or if anyone needs some... I'm in 6060

little grammy is offline Fastpass Holder

a long time ago I think I read that there was a Dramamine dispenser by the door of the infirmary..... don't quote me on that... but it stuck in my mind..... not sure if free or at a fee . . . . . . .
    "MagicMeets" Attendee 2006, '07, '08 and '09

"D23 EXPO" Attendee 2009

First Time Cruiser--- Disney Dream
    Feb. 2011 Deck 7 #7186

Thanks everyone for the replies! I really appreciate it!

Michelle C is offline A-Ticket holder

Natalie-
    you are going to have a blast and they do sell some meds and snacks on the ship in the stores - and I do think the Medical Facility hands out dramamine as well, will check on that. Any Medicines you bring on please remember to keep in original containers to avoid customs issues upon disembarkation.
    --No need to bring life jackets - you just tell your stateroom attendant you need a child's size one once you are in the cabin if there is not one in the closet
    --I give kids glow in the dark light sticks for fun - so they can have them in bed with them while sleeping, super easy to pack but like their own lights at night. I agree no need for other toys etc -
    Michelle
    Michelle Cunningham, CTC

michelle@MouseFanTravel.com
    affiliated w/ MEI & Mouse Fan Travel

Disney Dream 1/11 and 2/11 - Disney Fantasy 3/11
    Disney Wonder August 08, December 2001
    WDW Oct and Dec 11,Jan 09, Dec 08, Jan 08, Jun 07, Sept 06, Sept 03
    ABD's Southwest Aug 07, Backstage Magic 4/09 & 10/09
    Disneyland Sept 1971 & 25+ more times since

Thanks for the information on the life jacket. Between the snorkels, fins, glow sticks, kite, stroller and car seat, we need a room for just out stuff...

Natalie H.
    MeetTheMagic.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast