Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Cruise Line Discuss Motion Sickness..Preventative medications and treatments in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; There has been some discussion by some first time cruisers about motion sickness and I thought I'd throw my pharmaceutical two cents in. The Disney Dream is a huge boat ...
    Mary jo is offline Fastpass Holder

Motion Sickness..Preventative medications and treatments

There has been some discussion by some first time cruisers about motion sickness and I thought I'd throw my pharmaceutical two cents in. The Disney Dream is a huge boat with innovative stabilizers that reduce the likeliness of passengers getting motion sickness. Most people will not have problems on the cruise with nausea or motion sickness without even taking a single medication or using a single device. My last few cruises I didn't take anything and was completely fine. With that being said, if you get sick easily in a car or on a boat, then you may want to think about taking something with you. Below I have listed some of your best options.

Dramamine (original formulation) is Dimenhydrinate, an antihistamine. It is very effective in treating motion sickness. However, it is very sedating. I would only recommend it prophylactically (preventatively) if you are extremely sensitive to motion because of the sedation involved. Otherwise, just take it as treatment. I would bring it with you, but don't take unless you feel like you're getting sick.

Bonine or Dramamine Less Drowsy formulation is Meclizine (Antivert by prescription), also an antihistamine. It is considered a little less effective in the treatment of nausea and motion sickness, but also has less drowsiness associated with it. It would be a better option in preventative measure if you are predisposed to motion sickness.

There is also Trans-Scop Patches sold by prescription. The patch is worn behind the ear for 72 hours to prevent motion sickness. A new patch is applied after 72 hours. This is your most expensive option, but also has a great efficacy rate in prevention and low sedating effects (less than 16%).

Sea-bands work by applying continuous pressure by means of a plastic stud on the P6 acupressure point between the two central tendons near the wrist. Many people find them helpful, but my question is whether the person using them would have had motion sickness in the first place. I find no harm in them, but some do question the possible placebo effect of this device.

Phenergan (promethazine) is a prescription agent that is highly effective in nausea and vomiting. However, it is a little overkill for this discussion.
    Last edited by Mary jo; 02-09-2011 at 12:39 AM.
    Mary Jo
    Listen for Storytime with MoJo

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Motion Sickness..Preventative medications and treatments

If you start to feel a little queesy, a good trick is to head up on deck and look at the horizon. Most of seasickness is caused by the yaw motion, especially if you are facing amidships. Try standing on the bow or quarterdecks and looking at the horizon. It works... from a former Marine with a lot of boat time.

TheAncientBahu is offline A-Ticket holder

Thanks for the tips!

tmbcole is offline C-Ticket Holder

Agreed. I've taken the non-drowsy dramamine and it was great. I had no issues with it. I also agree about going to one of the top decks to see the horizon. I've been sea sick before and it's not fun.
    Tina Cole

Mary jo is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    If you start to feel a little queesy, a good trick is to head up on deck and look at the horizon. Most of seasickness is caused by the yaw motion, especially if you are facing amidships. Try standing on the bow or quarterdecks and looking at the horizon. It works... from a former Marine with a lot of boat time.
    very good tip!!!
    Mary Jo
    Listen for Storytime with MoJo

spaddy is offline A-Ticket holder

Hi I'm new here.

I wanted to add I have had good luck with Ginger pills. I have found that Dramamine less drowsy makes me well too drowsy. You can buy them at GNC or vitamin store and I take them a couple of days before the cruise and during. I took them on my second cruise and I think they really helped me and they are natural.

Peter's Shadow is offline B-Ticket Holder

My wife is VERY susceptible to motion sickness. She usually gets knocked out by Dramamine (even the "less drowsy" formula). She got a prescription for Trans-Scop which she has not tried yet. I hope it works for her. We purposely requested deck two mid-ship to lessen the chances of her having issues. She even has a hard time with slow movement stuff like Garden Grill.

Greg Pabst

twitter: @grehg
    facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gregpabst
    personal website: http://www.gregpabst.com