Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Disney Cruise Line Discuss Quick comments on the Dream in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Originally Posted by Dead Robot Back on topic... DH and I are multiple Royal Caribbean cruisers and this was our first Disney Cruise. We made a promise to stick to ...
    Carolla is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Quick comments on the Dream

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Robot View Post
    Back on topic...

DH and I are multiple Royal Caribbean cruisers and this was our first Disney Cruise. We made a promise to stick to one last cruise on RCL's Oasis and then never go back. Disney all the way!

Pros:
    The service blew away any RCL ship. While most of the staff we came in contact with were "new" to Disney (most were new hires) and knew their stuff.

We've no kids and while there were a ton of kids on the ship, we never felt overwhelmed. Adult areas were abundant and well monitored.

Food was better than RCL's but smaller portions. Not a complaint, really - we could order more! Just noticed the sizes.

Castaway Cay was way better than RCL's Labadee. The snorkeling was amazing and the adult beach was serene. The regular beach was busy but had a whole fun vibe on it.

Cons:
    We were level 5, near the back. The music from Evolutions Nightclub was relentless until 2am. They need to address this issue - I am sure we werent the only cabin who complained. Thankfully we had strong nightcaps before going to bed!

Embarktation was a bit of a cattle call, but I've been through worse. Pro tip: if your boarding number is something like 30 and they're calling #12, you don't need to crowd the entrance, stand well back and wait!

9 out of 10 from us! Will rebook (through Beci!) again!
    Internesting how we had the exact different response. After this cruise I found myself thinking that my RCCL cruises were "nicer" I felt the service on the Dream was not up to Disney or RCCL standards. The food, adult areas, etc just were nicer IMHO on RCCL. I felt like I paid more on DIsney and really received less.

NancyIL is offline B-Ticket Holder

A few more comments about the cruise...

I want to echo the sentiments about our wonderful dinner at Palo with Dragan as the server. That was probably the highlight of the cruise for me. I can't imagine how Remy could possibly be that much better at almost 4 times the cost.

The Mickey ice cream bars from room service were great, as always!

I enjoyed all of the shows - especially The Golden Mickeys. Villains Tonight and Believe were very good, too, and the juggler was fun. I also enjoyed seeing Tangled and Gnomeo & Juliet in the movie theater.

I am not a pool person, so I can't comment on the adult pool area. I agree that the family pool area was very crowded as I walked through deck 11 to Cabanas - even when the ship was in Nassau. Apparently LOTS of people stayed on the ship that day. I had previously said this would be my last Bahamas cruise, because I have no interest in visiting Nassau again. However, after staying on the ship this time, I could see doing another 4-night Bahamas cruise on the Dream in order to enjoy the ship, as long as it's not very frequent.

I want to commend DCL for adding a few more adult activities to the schedule when the ship was in Nassau. It was a definite improvement over previous Wonder cruises where there were practically no adult activities scheduled during the day.

I attended the first group meeting in the theater and did what I could to answer the scavenger hunt questions - but one of those was plenty for me. I was in bed every night by 10:30 except for Pirate night - because our dinner at Palo ended just before the fireworks started.

We had an 11C cabin on deck 2 forward. The location was great for just about everything, except dining in Cabanas. Each of my cabins on DCL has gotten progressively smaller, and the Dream's standard cabins @ 169 sq. ft. are considerably smaller than the cat. 9 OV and cat. 6 handicap-accessible cabins I had on the Wonder. (The latter was HUGE!) The storage was pretty limited with only 3 drawers in the desk and 2 narrow closets. Thank goodness for the area under the bed to store luggage. While the virtual porthole was cool, I would not pay more for an inside cabin than for a larger OV with a real window.
    Last edited by NancyIL; 03-11-2011 at 11:35 AM.

Dead Robot is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by Carolla View Post
    Internesting how we had the exact different response. After this cruise I found myself thinking that my RCCL cruises were "nicer" I felt the service on the Dream was not up to Disney or RCCL standards. The food, adult areas, etc just were nicer IMHO on RCCL. I felt like I paid more on DIsney and really received less.
    I will defend your right to disagree to my death! Even if I am Canadian!

I had some great memories from RCL cruises, I just find their crew a bit distant compared to 1/10th the crew of the Dream.

I'm also basing my opinion on one DCL trip, so take that as you will.

Though, my last cruise on RCL was a discounted barge (the Explorer) that left out of New Jersey. At dinner I had to sit next to a vet who just wanted to talk about killing people, for 12 days.
    Off to D23 in August!

shelbell77 is offline Deck 7 Cool Kid!

Quote Originally Posted by zippitydoodah View Post
    I must say that I've noticed that it seems like a lot of people who had a lot of negative things to say before the cruise are the main ones who find a lot of negatives about the cruise... just something I've noticed, but maybe I'm wrong I know when I go into something with the idea that it won't be very good, I find more things to complain about.
    I noticed the same!
    -----------------------------------------------

Shelley
    Are you 23??? I am!!

LUVdisny is offline A-Ticket holder

One morning I was up around 5:30.... and there were people washing cabin doors.... also one night they shampooed the carpet outside our cabins...... and one day there was a guy on the stairs with a brush and cleaner..... getting the dust and debris out of the corners of the stairs.....
    The staff was always busy.... but took time to be friendly too! I gave excess FE gifts to one of the hostesses on my floor....she was excited..... Oh Thank you....I see everyone get these gifts....and I never get any......she said they would have fun in her room playing the mini squishy balls, playdough, neon bracelets.... and etc.
    Also, gave Snickers to couple other hosts......
    I did not want to carry these things back in my suitcase.
    Met the nicest family that was there for Make A Wish..........poor little guy was quarantined to his room - because he had been vomiting couple days before..I gave them some playdough and cars for the boys...
    .. I wish I had gotten there name and address...... tugged on heart - as I have been in their shoes!

There was just sooooo much to do ----it's like going to the MK for the first time.... hard to take everything in.....

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by LUVdisny View Post

There was just sooooo much to do ----it's like going to the MK for the first time.... hard to take everything in.....

So true! That's what cemented us booking for our honeymoon... not only did we have an amazing time, but there was just soooo much we never got to do because of time! Plus, although we will still do a few days of Disney World on the honeymoon as well, it's really hard for me to make too many adrs, especially at nice restaurants just because of the money. With the cruise it's all paid for beforehand so we can eat well everyday and as much as we want without my stress level rising at the growing cost haha. I know that we are paying for the food in the cost of the cruise, but its easier having it all paid out first!

Only a year and a half left before I can spend a day biking and snorkeling on castaway cay again!!

So Angela when is the wedding??

I'd go back on the Dream in a heartbeat! Cassidy is already looking forward to our trip in 2013. I think it's because she can be in The Edge then.

Everyone was very friendly. Even the Guests were to each other. You don't see that on other cruiselines. Heck, I think the CM's on the ship were better than most in the parks anymore.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by lorilovestigger View Post
    Heck, I think the CM's on the ship were better than most in the parks anymore.
    You know, I have to agree! You get some great park CM's with a lot of "meh", whereas on the cruise I found it was more like a whole lot of great CM's with one or two "meh" ones.

The wedding is going to be the end of august 2012 I think! Maybe beginning of September, but I'm worried about what if I have a supply teace hing job by then. I don't think the first week of school there are many teachers away though!

I'm already planning all the Disney things I can fit in! yay!

zeusywoo is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Oh I forgot about that! about 75% if the time I used a public restroom they had someone cleaning them. They were spotless and so, so, so well taken care of, I was very impressed!

I must say that I've noticed that it seems like a lot of people who had a lot of negative things to say before the cruise are the main ones who find a lot of negatives about the cruise... just something I've noticed, but maybe I'm wrong I know when I go into something with the idea that it won't be very good, I find more things to complain about.

But then again, how can I complain when I was with my best friend, I was proposed to by my bf, and it was my very first cruise Everything and everyone was just so wonderful!! My single complaint of the whole trip is shutters, and really a lot of it was the cost which I've been told is a cruise ship standard (grrr!). I also cant afford to eat out at very nice restaurants often, so the food was so wonderful!
    Yes, like I said we found nothing wrong with the ship or the crew! It was amazing. I can't say I was surprised at the cost of Shutters but was surprised they couldn't adjust the size of the pictures for us. So we only got 3 & DH wanted the commemorative frame! I am so happy for you! DH mentioned about the Palo why we didn't eat there, I said I mentioned it you heard cost & said next time. LOL!
    1st MK Oct. '80, DL '90, CBR '98, VB & WLV '01, BCV Jun '06, SSR Oct '06, POR Jun '09, BCR Feb '11 & POFQ Mar '11, AKLJ Jul '11 BLT Nov '12 BWRV Nov '12 BWRV Aug '14 BCV Sept '14
    Have a Magical Day! Deck 7 Cool Kids Dar

little grammy is offline Fastpass Holder

off topic--- just read that the Disney Wonder is fine-- but did not dock at Cabo, Mexico--- stayed at sea.
    "MagicMeets" Attendee 2006, '07, '08 and '09

"D23 EXPO" Attendee 2009

First Time Cruiser--- Disney Dream
    Feb. 2011 Deck 7 #7186

zeusywoo is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

I read the same LittleGrammy & was coming to Post! Great minds!
    1st MK Oct. '80, DL '90, CBR '98, VB & WLV '01, BCV Jun '06, SSR Oct '06, POR Jun '09, BCR Feb '11 & POFQ Mar '11, AKLJ Jul '11 BLT Nov '12 BWRV Nov '12 BWRV Aug '14 BCV Sept '14
    Have a Magical Day! Deck 7 Cool Kids Dar

Oh I thought of Tokyo Disneyland, but never even thought of the cruise ships! Our roommate it still very upset about the New Zealand earthquake (she's from Christchurch) and says that everyone there is still totally devastated, not to mention without running water of any sort.... so I can't even imagine Japan right now.

DocB is offline B-Ticket Holder

I've been on ten cruises including Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and the Queen Mary 2. The WDW Radio Cruise on the Dream was my first Disney Cruise. It truly was the BEST CRUISE EVER! The ship is amazing. The AquaDuck was a blast, the Midship Detective Agency was loads of fun, the shows, including the fireworks, were the best at sea, the 3D theater was a joy, and I enjoyed each and every one of the three restaurants in our rotation. I didn't have one bad meal, and a shout out goes to Josi, our server, for phenomenal service. The Virtual porthole was a great addition to our room, and we looked forward to the characters that appeared every 25 - 30 min. Seeing Ray from Princess and the Frog spell out "Sweet Dreams" at night was priceless, and one night we saw an animated fireworks display in the window at midnight. Bravo Disney! My daughter NEVER likes any of the camps on any of the ships we've ever been on, but I had a hard time prying her away from the Oceaneer's Lab on this ship. I love merchandise, and the shopping on the ship was perfect. Duty free pins, Vinylmation, art, and clothing? I had to buy another suitcase to bring it all home, LOL. I would go on the Dream again in a heartbeat and plan to.

Oh, and there was even that Mongello guy and the MEI crew wandering around who were always so gracious and very eager to make sure everything went smoothly. Kudos!!

LUVdisny is offline A-Ticket holder

You know, I have to agree! You get some great park CM's with a lot of "meh", whereas on the cruise I found it was more like a whole lot of great CM's with one or two "meh" ones.

The wedding is going to be the end of august 2012 I think! Maybe beginning of September, but I'm worried about what if I have a supply teace hing job by then. I don't think the first week of school there are many teachers away though!

I'm already planning all the Disney things I can fit in! yay!
    My daughter's wedding was centered around Cinderella.... I have white coaches that we used for table decorations and put lights in them....... then we bought pumpkins that papermache - and painted them in her colors and put lights in them for table decorations also...... her colors were periwinkle and yellow.... I have pics of them....... She had Cinderella invititations.........

Quote Originally Posted by LUVdisny View Post
    My daughter's wedding was centered around Cinderella.... I have white coaches that we used for table decorations and put lights in them....... then we bought pumpkins that papermache - and painted them in her colors and put lights in them for table decorations also...... her colors were periwinkle and yellow.... I have pics of them....... She had Cinderella invititations.........
    Oh thats fun and sounds so pretty! Can I see some pictures? I'm trying to think of what Disney things I can do... I've had a lot of family that doesn't just think I'm crazy with the Disney stuff, but will rudely say things like "when are you going to just grow up and get over it?" or laugh in my face. So... as much as part of me wants to be like too bad its my wedding!, but the other part doesn't want to be laughed at and mocked I will do little things for sure though, like getting a custom cake topper where we'll be wearing mickey ears, and I'm going to try on all the alfred angelo Disney wedding dresses

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast