Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Disney Cruise Line Discuss Quick comments on the Dream in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I just got of the WDW Radio cruise. I am not going to really comment on the cruise as I assume there will be blow by blow reporting on Lou's ...
    Carolla is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quick comments on the Dream

I just got of the WDW Radio cruise.

I am not going to really comment on the cruise as I assume there will be blow by blow reporting on Lou's podcast

However, Lou says he "loves" the ship. Me?? well..

The Good!

Rainforest area in the Spa. LOVED IT! The hot tub addition was wonderful! It's peaceful and beautiful

Inside Room. I liked the porthole. Added light. However, seeing a Disney character was really hit or miss. I think I saw 4? Really they are pretty rare. I guess if you sat there and watch the thing 24/7 you would see more. The room was VERY small, I am not sure how a family of four managed, but as a solo it was great!

Ship. Beautiful and clean with lots of cool areas.

Interactive Art. You must do this, it's loads of fun!

Castaway Cay. Still very nice. And at 11 am I had not trouble finding a nice beach chair and even a hammock at the adult beach

Adult Pool. I was expecting very little so while I still find it not really what it should be, the chairs on the upper deck were nice and peaceful and I enjoyed it

Palo. AMAZING! Wonderful food, outstanding service, top notch all around!

Shows. Very good. Disney quality all the way around.

Debarkation. A breeze, just like on the Magic

The not so good

Embarkation.... That area is just too SMALL. I arrived at my Disney "assigned time" and that didn't help. The announcer kept telling us to remain seated until it was time for our boarding group which was funny as there were NO empty seats! IMHO that's become a nightmare

Meal Service. We appear to have had two new waiters. Hint... the first service should be done before the second seating and they barely made it two nights. (our last night the head waiter appeared to have told them we complained.. they moved us along at wrap speed, but I will take that over beyond slow) Disney would have made more money off me if the waiters had brough me a wine list. After I ordered the first night this should have been a clue! I did have a sit down breakfast at Royal Place with great service, but know of others who had the exact opposite expereince. IMHO this is If Disney can't provide the quality we expect they should quit charging the prices they expect

Response to issue... My TV was wired wrong. Only works if the porthole is on. In spite of both myself and the host telling people nothing was done (so if you get 2519 and your TV doesn't come on at night make sure your porthole is on!)

Shopping. If you don't want things with Mickey engraved on them your options are still limited on a Disney ship!

Family Pool area. That place was horrid just to walk through . I was SO glad I didn't have children. I don't really like sitting right on top of strangers. I don't like touching bodies in the pool etc.. There was no "swimming" just standing and splashing! VERY overcroweded IMHO People were dragging the outdoor dining chairs up from Cabanas to have places to sit....

Food Quality. It was good. It was not "outstanding" Some dishes were great, some were just so so, but I really don't think it rises to top notch. (except for Palo!)

Till we Meet Again Gather in the lobby for an autograph session... so I could have stood there for another half hour watching kids get autographs and thier MIGHT have been a show. Very much a let down from what I remember on the Magic.

The ship seems to me to have less "Disney Charm" then the Magic/Wonder. It's really a big box with Disney colors and touches on it, but it's still a big box ship IMHO. I am not sure I will do it again and I am really over the 4 night Nassau trip.

However, I did have a WONDERFUL shore excursion in Nassau. I did the Greycliff Wine and Cheese and it was great. If I ever do go back I am doing hte Greycliff Lunch. After meeting that chef during the wine event I would LOVE to try his food!

I have tenatively booked another Disney Cruise, but it's on the Wonder (and I am REALLY hoping for Europe in 2012 so I can transfer it there)

little grammy is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Quick comments on the Dream

Arrived back home in PA yesterday , 3-4-11, after a 10am flight.

This was our first cruise and my hubby and I really enjoyed just about everything.... (dish of yogurt in our fridge upon arrival-- steward just could not believe this happened and was VERY appologetic).

Liked the food at Cabanas and the 3 rotation seatings. Breakfast at EG was good, but not great. Our servers were very attentive and kind and fun. Nice lunch at CC.

Could have skipped Nassau had it not been that I wanted to go out of the country for a bit. (about 2 hours "downtown").

I am not a "water person" so did Aqua Duck and that was enough for me>!>!>!>
    Did seem like the 2 pools were VERY crowded -- expecially seating.... and very noisy on the outer sides of deck 11.

Adult pool area was very nice and not busy at all for around 2:00 in the afternoon.

Enjoyed all 4 shows.

Negative --- Shutters printed out 99% of our photos at largest size and prefer smaller. Did not want to go back Thursday morning again to make final purchase.

Will be posting more as the week goes on.
    "MagicMeets" Attendee 2006, '07, '08 and '09

"D23 EXPO" Attendee 2009

First Time Cruiser--- Disney Dream
    Feb. 2011 Deck 7 #7186

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Enjoying the Pro's and Con's of the voyage. Dreaming of a Disney Cruise so the comments are helpful.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

It's 2am and I just got home (driving through a horrible horrible icy snowstorm) so I might not make much sense haha... but I'll start this off by saying that I got engaged on the cruise so I'm going to be a little biased... it was a fantastic, wonderful trip and I love every minute of it I do have some opinions based on what people above have said though.

The main things I agree/disagree with are firstly that shutters was just awful. I know on all cruises they sell their photos for that much, but it was just soooo expensive, and you couldn't get one 5X7, you had to get two of the exact same one of that size (and pay double) if you wanted the smaller size of photo. Then they messed up our receipts and we didn't get all our photos as first, and we found the whole pickup thing very confusing. Also at one point there were photos of another group in our folder, so I told one of the cast members and he was the only cast member on the entire trip who I found to be rude to me

Something I disagree with is the food... we ate at Palo and were a tad disappointed, not because it was bad.. it was REALLY good, it's just that ALL the meals we ate were that good. I was expecting it to go above and beyond and it was just as wonderfully delicious as the other restaurants. That's not a jab at Palo so much as a compliment to the other food. We re-booked and will request our servers again- they were fantastic!!! We found it funny that when we said we were too full for dessert our server would bring us something anyways, so after a few nights we decided to outsmart him and just order whatever looked best... and he brought us what we ordered, plus another 4 for the table haha.

One last thing is thank goodness for the adult pool, because the kids pool was fine when we first boarded, but after that it was wayyyy too crowded and noisy for me. The adult pool had barely anyone in it most of the time and we always were able to go in the hot tubs no problem as well. And not noisy at all!

Anyways, it was my first cruise and I had a blast! Love the food, the shows, the aquaduck, the adult pools... and I got engaged on the trip yay! We rebooked for our honeymoon, but my fiance got really really seasick the last night so we may need to rethink that! haha. That was our Palo dinner night and he said he was originally going to propose there, so it's a good thing he changed his plan- he had to leave after one bite of the first course :S (they gave me a steak to bring him and didn't charge a thing for it anyways

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Thanks for your reviews.

ALammers300 is offline A-Ticket holder

Thanks for posting quick thoughts. I am hoping to go on a Disney cruise sometime in the future, and I am trying to convince my mother to go on one solo (she has never cruised but loves all things Disney)

That being said, since most of you posting comments were obviously with the WDW Radio group, I just want to know an opinion on what you think cruising the Dream would be like for a solo, adult almost 60 y/o. Social, loves Disney, enjoys relaxing. Is the adult area really as fantastic as it seems, since this is where my mom would spend most of her time, and is the space there not as crowded as say, the areas with children? Being aroundkids at Disney is part of the fun, though, especially when you don't have little ones with you I'm sure it's great to see young kids during the shows get excited like they do at the parks.

Also, for dinner, are you sat just with your party, or a larger group that stays the same during your rotation? Where would a solo traveller sit?

Thanks!
    October 1991-Polynesian
    October 1993-Port Orleans French Quarter
    October 1995-Port Orleans French Quarter
    May 1997-Beach Club
    February 2000-All Star Movies
    June 2000-Yacht Club
    February 2002-All Star Movies
    February 2003-All Star Movies
    April 2003-Yacht Club
    May 2004-Pop Century
    March 2006-Pop Century
    August 2008-Pop Century
    April 2010-Pop Century....and V&A's!
    August 2011-Pop Century....and V&A's!!!!

Carolla is offline C-Ticket Holder

I was solo. I also was not an active participant in the WDW Radio activities. It was fine for a solo but pricey. Adult area is not as fantastic as it seems IMHO. Unless she is a late night person, but early in the evening it was very Slow and I felt the adult activity schedule was a little lacking. Adult areas were rarely crowded.

I did eat with some friends for dinner. Your mom would be with the same people every night

HappyGrumpy is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: Comments on the Dream: Long but Insightful!

I believe honesty is the best policy so here it goes.

We drove down 13 hours from Chesapeake VA. Spent 2 days in the World. One night at POP and one night at FQ. We got a new refurbished room at FQ and it was just awesome! If I cant stay at the Poly I am a huge fan of FQ building 2 facing the water. The refurbished rooms make it even more awesome!

Ok moving on to the cruise,

Lou and is family were gracious and Beci and the MEI team busted their chops the whole cruise. I would be remiss to not give a shout out to our agent Michelle who was there making the Magic happen for us.

Being on Deck 7 made the trip even sweeter however I will say that I had no idea the group was going to be 457 people! I was expecting half that. Why? I was assuming, which is my fault. I thought there would be a cut off. I was wrong. I have been very spoiled in the past traveling on Adventures By Disney where the largest group you can have is 50 people. It allows you to get to know your travel mates and build relationship with them.

This setting and size of group did not allow that. Now that said, we had wonderful table mates and we were blessed enough to get to meet and hang
    with our wonderful Deck 7 neighbors Paul and Lisa! The other cool thing that I loved was that I got to meet Disney facebook friends that I had never met in person! It was wonderful to finally meet them and for those I did not get to meet I will see you next time.

I do have some other things that I want to address but now is not the time as I need to give that feedback to the proper people through the proper channels first.

We were in 7521 inside w/ porthole. We are two adults 34 & 38 no children and we do have some meat on our bones I don't know how I forgot to request a split bath but I did and boy did we pay for that. The inside porthole room is tiny and without the split bath it is WOW small. Our room was not quiet ready when we got there, that was not a big deal to us but we could see that there had been a family of four staying in the room and God Bless them b/c it was tight enough for me and the husband to say the least. You have to be incredibly organized when staying in this size room. The extra space underneath the bed is awesome for the luggage!

We had the opportunity to tour a One Bedroom Suit and The Roy suite and they were awesome. For the money, I would say if you could swing the cash for a 7 night 1 bedroom GO FOR IT! We are going to attempt to do that in a couple of years on the Fantasy!

We saw several characters in our porthole. No sound to warn you only tinker bell and pixie dust appear about 20 seconds before the characters do. LOVED IT! It also helped having a visual of what it looks like outside when you were docked getting ready to head out.

I would stay in an interior again ONLY with a split bath however if DCL wanted to bump me to a window or verandah view I would not argue.

Dining:

Our main dining servers were very good and the food was fine. There was particular tea that several of us enjoyed our first night in Animators and could not score anymore the rest of the trip with our assistant server. She said the whole ship was out as it was a very popular tea. I don't blame her she went all over the ship looking for it but it was like really that one type of tea is completely out?

Those of us who are repeat customers with DCL will consistently say that you will not go hungry on the boat but until you experience Remy or Palo your WOW factor will be limited.

Dining: On a scale from 1-10, 10 being outstanding this is how we score the restaurants: Please keep in mid we had early dining when we are used to late dining and this will make a difference in your experience.

Cabanas: 8 and it blows beach blanket out of the water! (no pun intended) The only weird things is that they want to seat you where as in BB you seat yourself.

Animators Pallet: 8
    Food, Decor, Interaction of Crush will make it very hard to go on the original ships and eat at AP. Really great experience!

Enchanted Garden: N/A We were at Palo and ate at Cabanas for lunch 2. So we will have to hit that up next time.

Royal Palace: 6
    Decor and Staff Dress was amazing however the food choices were ok at best. We were sitting right in the middle of the restaurant and it was LOUD!

I think that next time because the floor plan is so huge I am going to request a table in a corner simply to hold a conversation without feeling like I am yelling. Now we did eat here 2 nights in a row with one of those nights being the Pirate menu which I will give a 8 but man were we rushed and the staff was serving at a frantic pace. I have noticed that on our other DCL sailings on Pirate Night its the same issue weather early or late dining.

Palo; 10
    Server was Dragan (pronounced Dragon) from Croatia spoke fluent english italian, german, spanish and a little french. He has been with DCL since 2000 and you should request him as he is A MA ZING! My husbands original dish he ordered was just ok and Dragan knew he was less than thrilled and insisted that he order something else. Sam ordered the rack of lamb which were HUGE and it was perfect.

There have been menu changes with Palo. Some good some not so good. If you are returning to Palo be sure to ask about certain dishes and desserts that you may be used to as they may not have them. An example was the pineapple dessert ravioli that my husband loved more than the souffle! (I know crazy right) But they no longer serve that any more.

My husband asked if there was anything with banana? (he loves banana desserts) When our server said no Sam was bummed but we moved on with our night and I told him I would eat his souffle By the time our dessert arrived we had 2 souffle's AND Dragan brought over a very fancy caramel chocolate banana split on a fancy dish and it was fancy good!!

Thats what separates Palo from regular dining, they will find a way to get to yes and I appreciate that so much and thats why I don't have a problem paying the additional charges.

Palo Brunch: 8, ok this is going to sound like I am being picky but when a level of expectation has been set you have to work extra hard to get past it when its not all that you were expecting. We had Dragan again, so no problem there at all!

The only thing that stuck out to me like a sore thumb was that the you had all these wonderful cheeses and they were using keebler crackers and ritz crackers? Now I have a box of those in my pantry right now so I have no problem eating them but they looked out of place with the presentation in Palo.

Here comes more honesty, As my main course at the brunch I chose Chicken Parmesan and boy was I disappointed. When I am sitting in Palo comparing CP to that of Olive Garden (which I love btw) that just seems wrong on so many levels!

So next time we will probably do dinner again but save the pennies from brunch and do a Senses spa treatment. BTW while I did not have a spa treatment I did go inside and it is amazing. expensive but amazing.

Don't know who planned this but they built Goofy's basketball court right over top of Palo and Remy and yep you guessed it you hear all the thumping that comes along with that. It actually worse on brunch day as its closes early in the evenings when most dinners are starting. When you ask the staff they are very polite about it but you can tell they are slightly embarressed.

The shows were outstanding as usual and I LOVED Believe! Even though Dream will always hold a special place in my heart Believe was outstanding!

I will say that the shopping has improved greatly on the new ship. I need them to carry more plus sizes for women and more embroidered adult clothing. Allot of screen printed shirts and hoodies for the Dream that once or twice through the washer were going to look terrible. Plenty of Dooney purses btw! I also need CC to have more XXL sizes for men and plus size women. I cant be the only size 18 out there for pete sake

CC was AWESOME SAUCE! I cant believe how much it has grown and the adult side is still just as great and we spent the ENTIRE day there soaking up the sun!

The Aqua Duck is.....wait for it...FAN FREAKING TASTIC! Loved Loved Loved it! Longest we waited was 25 min.

Sam and I have decided to go back on our own maybe in Dec for 4 nights. We never got to see the kids clubs, see ALL the enchanted art, a movie in the Buena Vista (there were 3 we wanted to see) eat at enchanted garden and I did not get to see Villians tonight. So now we have to go back

I did want to mention that the fire works were awesome and I loved how they incorporated Capt Jack and the music from POTC however the story line seems a bit disjointed and they need to work out the transtions to work with the fireworks a little better.

The adult pool is way better in person than it is in pics! The only negative is that if you want a chair next to the pool in the sun be prepared to get there early Also, be prepared for it not to be quiet cove as you know it unless you are on deck 12. I honestly don't see how they can still call it quiet cove when the deck 11 elevators are right there and it is a main cut thought to the family zone. Now to some parents credit they were very good to make sure that the kids did not make a peep when walking by us however my favorite was the kid that ran out screaming cannonball!!!! His parents grabbed him up before he hit the water but you get my drift! just be prepared for it not to be the quiet cove you are used to.

I loved it will be back again and again, The ship is down right awesome the cast members are awesome and Lou and MEI are awesome! We had a good time but I think I do better traveling in a smaller group.

I hope everyone who reads this hears my heart and understands where I am coming from. Cause this Deck 7 Cool Kid Tells No Tales!

I just want to jump in again and say I LOVED the adult areas. We weren't expecting much out of the adult pool, but it was bigger than we thought and never busy! Even on the at sea day we had no problem getting nice, quiet lounge chairs, and we never had a problem with the hot tub being full either.

I'm not much of a late night person, but my fiance and my best friend looooved the dj at evolution and had a ton of fun! They were there pretty much every night.

We rebooked as our honeymoon, which I guess shows that for us there was enough to do for adults... and we didn't even splurge for a spa treatment or anything. We also had the late seating and there were a few kids but I didn't notice any that were very young and it was never overly loud or anything. The only time I was ever overwhelmed by kids was when walking by the family pool.

also the aquaduck was amazing as well!!

LUVdisny is offline A-Ticket holder

Just mulling things over from the Cruise..... don' know why they don't have character meals for the kids............
    I still have my rating to fill out..... was so busy - didn't want to take time to do it.... but our servers and hostesses were very nice..... only encountered on GROUCH on ship and one other GROUCH at the Magical Express at Orlando Airport....... but then there was Susan - who saw what we needed and was GREAT!

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder

food not so good kind of bland and not very hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie19891992 View Post
    food not so good kind of bland and not very hot.
    Whaaaaaaat?! I don't know what kind of food you normally eat, but with the exception of one salad that had dressing that was too citrusy for me (I hate citrus dressings) everything was fantastic! Way better than anything I eat normally as well as most restaurants (def better than the restaurants at disney except for one signature dining meal I've done!). I don't remember food temperature being an issue either... could that have been your server not bringing stuff out in a timely manner?

LUVdisny is offline A-Ticket holder

I really enjoyed the meals! The only time mine weren't HOT is when I needed to take it back to my room.....

Food was DELICIOUS..... even at Cabanas....

It was my first time eating escarclot....I that was good...... cheese souffle.... great....
    My steak with lobster medallion was good .....put 1 little medallion was disappointing....but it DID say Medallion....

NancyIL is offline B-Ticket Holder

Over all it was a very nice cruise. My roommate and I were table mates with Carol, and I had the same opinion of the dining room service. I will say this - our servers were very cute! I thought the food in the dining room was very good, although I shouldn't have ordered the chocolate dessert from the kids' menu the first night without actually reading the menu, as it was just chocolate cake! We had good service at breakfast in the Royal Palace one morning, but didn't get our drinks until our meal was almost over the second time we ate breakfast there.

The promised $25 OBC from MEI wasn't applied to our shipboard account the morning we departed, so my roommate e-mailed our travel agent. Turns out that the OBC was for anyone who booked directly with MEI, whereas ours was an onboard rebooking. MEI booked their cabins online, and the $25 OBC came from DCL and not MEI. Had Beci said that upfront - I wouldn't have expected to get the OBC. However, Beci didn't say that, and implied that the OBC was a gift from MEI to their clients. That was definitely a misrepresentation of the facts.

The only food issue I had was at Animator's. It seemed like small portions and wasn't that warm but other than that everything else as awesome!!

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast