Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disney Cruise Line Discuss Why would anyone work for DCL? in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; So one of BF daughters is looking into working on a DCL and asked what info I could come up with. Shy of room and board why would anyone sign ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Exclamation Why would anyone work for DCL?

So one of BF daughters is looking into working on a DCL and asked what info I could come up with. Shy of room and board why would anyone sign a contract with DCL? Ships do not fly a United States flag so I'm guessing this is how they get around our labor laws. Lordie! At least they tell you up front.

Here is an outline of your hours/contract.

Disney Cruise Line

Be sure to click the testimonials from the CM's.

Disney Cruise Line

Makes you appreciate the CM's even more.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

N.J.boy@N.C.St. is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Why would anyone work for DCL?

Wow...never realized how intense of a job that really is...and plus, don't the workers on Castaway Cay live there? I don't think I could ever imagine holding a job like these...definitely makes you appreciate them more.
    Follow me on twitter! http://twitter.com/NJboyatNCstate

June 1997, July 2002, August 2005, August 2006, February 2008, July 2008, August 2008, June 2009, July 2010, November 2010, July 2011

2011 Trip Report:
    Part 1: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...nto-parks.html
    Part 2: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...7-23-11-a.html
    Part 3: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...24-7-26-a.html
    Part 4: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...e-already.html

Only about 40 people live on Castaway. The rest are the CMs coming off the ship. We watched them unload at Castaway. The food, garbage cans, water ...everything comes and goes on the ship with them.

And CMs have their own beach at Castaway too. Which seemed kinda nice.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

TheLionKing is offline C-Ticket Holder

You can also help contribute to the amount of time off crew members get, when you fill the comment cards in at the end of your cruise if you name crew members who you felt were amazing they receive extra hours off based on the comment cards

shelbell77 is offline Deck 7 Cool Kid!

In general the reason very few Americans work on ANY cruise ship is because of the hour/work requirements and living conditions for what we perceive to be low pay. I read the book cruise confidential last year - an Americans experience working the dining room on carnival. Several times there are statements about people discussing how far into his contract the American will quit because Americans never fulfill a full contract.

But if you actually TALK to the cast members you'll hear them talk about how the money they makes allows them to go home and spend 2-3 months with their families between contracts. It is hard work, but the money makes it worthwhile for them and it's why so many leave their spouses and children for months at a time to do a contract.

We talked at length with the young man responsible for the quiet cove pool on the dream in February and he talked about how much he loved his job because he loved being outside all day and loved talking to guests all day. He works something like 16-18 hours each day and loved every minute of it. His only complaint was that his foo ages contract was ending and his roomate had a wii and a xbox and he didn't kniwnwhat he was going to do now in his nonworking hours. Joked that he'd need to interview other cast members to see who had the best stuff!
    -----------------------------------------------

Shelley
    Are you 23??? I am!!

Quote Originally Posted by lorilovestigger View Post
    Only about 40 people live on Castaway. The rest are the CMs coming off the ship. We watched them unload at Castaway. The food, garbage cans, water ...everything comes and goes on the ship with them.

And CMs have their own beach at Castaway too. Which seemed kinda nice.
    Wonder what percentage of CM's have that time off to utilize it? Would have to surmise that rooms have to be cleaned, food to prepare and CM's working the Castaway.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLionKing View Post
    You can also help contribute to the amount of time off crew members get, when you fill the comment cards in at the end of your cruise if you name crew members who you felt were amazing they receive extra hours off based on the comment cards
    Sadly I bet there are so many CM's that never get the kudos or days off because they do not have guest contact. Laundry workers, kitchen prep workers, dish washers, etc.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbell77 View Post
    In general the reason very few Americans work on ANY cruise ship is because of the hour/work requirements and living conditions for what we perceive to be low pay.
    I don't think it is perceived low pay. It is. It is more the hours they work for the gross pay received.

We talked at length with the young man responsible for the quiet cove pool on the dream in February and he talked about how much he loved his job because he loved being outside all day and loved talking to guests all day. He works something like 16-18 hours each day and loved every minute of it.
    18 hours! 18 hours for eight month straight. Lets see 6 hours to eat dinner, sleep, eat breakfast shower start again. Maybe 4 1/2 hours asleep each night? Thank God we have labor laws. My Gran worked a seamstress in the early 1900's. She told stories like this too of employers who took advantage of workers because they knew they could not afford to loose their jobs.

Doubt he would dare say anything but he loved it. Can you imagine what would happen if they said it is hard and we are overworked. Thinking fired!
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 04-26-2011 at 03:26 PM.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

I tripped on the plight of the Disney Cruise CM quite by accident. As I've turned over info to my BF on behalf of her daughter the Mom shuttered that she could have allowed her daughter to be put in this situation. Seems surreal given the Disney name. Who would think.

I just read a series on All Ears that I missed a few years ago. It is heartbreaking. The American Young woman's journey. Clear broth, rice for meals while seeing all the real food the the cruisers get that they couldn't.
    Savoring a Subway Sandwich she had once because she was so hungry and all the weight she lost, her uniform being the smallest and falling off her. Made me want to cry.

The following is her story:

On the All Ears Web-

http://allears.net/cruise/issue389.htm
    Part II is at: http://allears.net/cruise/issue393.htm
    Part III is at: http://allears.net/cruise/issue398.htm
    Part IV is at: http://allears.net/cruise/issue404.htm
    Part V is at: http://allears.net/cruise/issue412.htm
    Part VI is at: http://allears.net/cruise/issue419.htm
    Part VII is at: http://allears.net/cruise/issue441.htm
    Part VIII is at: http://allears.net/cruise/issue446.htm

I think I would want to wait on the CM's, feed them and just let them sleep a full night.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 04-26-2011 at 03:22 PM.

[QUOTE=HauntedGabe;950074]

I don't think it is perceived low pay. It is. It is more the hours they work for the gross pay received.

18 hours! 18 hours for eight month straight. Lets see 6 hours to eat dinner, sleep, eat breakfast shower start again. Maybe 4 1/2 hours asleep each night? Thank God we have labor laws. My Gran worked a seamstress in the early 1900's. She told stories like this too of employers who took advantage of workers because they knew they could not afford to loose their jobs.

Doubt he would dare say anything but he loved it. Can you imagine what would happen if they said it is hard and we are overworked. Thinking fired!
    First of all-low pay by American standards is NOT necessarily low pay to the crew who come from all over the world. In many of these localities it is a substantial amount of money to the crew and their families-more than they would make working in their home countries year round - and this is why they choose to be at sea away from their families for months at a time.

Second-there was no reason for the quiet cove CM to tell us all he did. He approached us and struck up a conversation with us. A lengthy one at that. Would I expect a staffer to tell me they hate their job-no. If that was the case I would expect them to say nothing. Not to go out of their way to strike up conversations with guests and tell us without being asked how much they love their job and why.

Third-this is not specific to Disney-this is how the cruising industry operates. The staff who don't like it, don't do a second contract. But I'm amazed how many people I meet who have done many many contracts. The dining officer on the wonder currently was our waiter when we first sailed on the magic back in 2000. We have loved watching him progress and get promoted over the years. But he's been working for DCL for over 11 years now. If he believed the pay and conditions were horrendous why would he keep signing new contracts?

I have no doubt Americans would be appalled by the amount of work expected at the pay provided. But again-that's why most cruise staff on any cruise line is NOT American. And when Americans do take a contract it is why they often only do one, or even quit before fulfilling the contract. But most cruise staff on any line are not American and if they didn't feel it was worthwhile I can't imagine they would choose to spend months at a time living in a shoebox working 16-18 hours a day, halfway around the world from their families.
    Last edited by shelbell77; 04-26-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Shelley
    Are you 23??? I am!!

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

Contracts can be for 3, 4, 4 1/2, 6, or 8 months, depending on position.
    After each contract, Crew Members receive a break on average of 6 to 8 weeks, depending on the position.
    While on contract, every Crew Member works every day. Crew Members do have some time off during the day, but it is limited.
    There are no days off while on contract.
    Most Crew Members work a minimum of 70 hours each week. For our tipped Crew (Dining Room, Bar, Stateroom), a minimum workweek is 84 hours.
    Anything over minimum is considered voluntary overtime, and our Crew are compensated for those additional hours.
    No Crew Member will work more than 94 hours a week or extend past an 8 month contract.
    While on contract, a Crew Member receives free room and board, access to Crew spaces/recreational activities, and access to medical services.
    How generous!
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

tmbcole is offline C-Ticket Holder

OK, I have to say that really stinks. They have to be exhausted every single day. On our last Disney cruise, our main server appeared to be a somewhat angry person and I can certainly understand why. He was an excellent server and treated us very well.
    Tina Cole

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

You know, some people just like going to sea. I was in the Marines for 20 years and made many, many deployments. 18 hour days are not unusual for the crew while at sea. It's not like there is a lot of opportunities for other things. It's not unusual for an Engineering Officer to stand two 6-hour watches in addition to their regular duties. Seems nuts to most, but like I said, some people love going to sea.

[QUOTE=shelbell77;950111]
    Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post

First of all-low pay by American standards is NOT necessarily low pay to the crew who come from all over the world. In many of these localities it is a substantial amount of money to the crew and their families-more than they would make working in their home countries year round - and this is why they choose to be at sea away from their families for months at a time.

Second-there was no reason for the quiet cove CM to tell us all he did. He approached us and struck up a conversation with us. A lengthy one at that. Would I expect a staffer to tell me they hate their job-no. If that was the case I would expect them to say nothing. Not to go out of their way to strike up conversations with guests and tell us without being asked how much they love their job and why.

Third-this is not specific to Disney-this is how the cruising industry operates. The staff who don't like it, don't do a second contract. But I'm amazed how many people I meet who have done many many contracts. The dining officer on the wonder currently was our waiter when we first sailed on the magic back in 2000. We have loved watching him progress and get promoted over the years. But he's been working for DCL for over 11 years now. If he believed the pay and conditions were horrendous why would he keep signing new contracts?

I have no doubt Americans would be appalled by the amount of work expected at the pay provided. But again-that's why most cruise staff on any cruise line is NOT American. And when Americans do take a contract it is why they often only do one, or even quit before fulfilling the contract. But most cruise staff on any line are not American and if they didn't feel it was worthwhile I can't imagine they would choose to spend months at a time living in a shoebox working 16-18 hours a day, halfway around the world from their families.
    I respect your opinion and your right to defend Disney. Everyone and every corporation has its own value system. I'm disappointed in Disney. I can't wrap my brain around the hours they have CM's working without proper rest or any days off to recover but many individuals and corporations have different views about what defines fair working conditions. I expect some cruisers have no problem with this and others might or are oblivious. It took a long time for the US to treat their labor pool better. It was ignorance on my part that I did not realize DCL found a back door way to create a different labor pool that would accept their conditions. No wonder why Disney doesn't Fly our Flag. Duh me.

I understand DCL hires many individuals who have no other choice but to be happy with the contract and little other choices in their life's. They are financial wizards with that bottom line. That is what makes capitalism flourish. Guess DLC is no different. I guess I was naive to think Disney was different to their CM's on their Cruise Ships. Shame on me. I just can't seem to condone a maximum 94 hour work week for any human being coupled by no days off no matter how many others cruise lines do this. That adage of two wrongs don't make it right, in my heart anyhow.

Like I said my Gran was an exploited employee here when she immigrated. I've got to start paying more attention to the plight of humanity. I hate being naive.

Everyone play nice! Don't make me get out my angry eyes!

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

Last edited by shelbell77; 04-27-2011 at 08:55 AM.

Shelley
    Are you 23??? I am!!

JohnO is offline C-Ticket Holder

Cool Re: Why would anyone work for DCL?

great articles
    77- Disneyland 89- Disneyland 94- WDW ASSp 95- WDW OKW 98- WDW Hol.Inn MG 99- WDW Off Prop. 06- WDW ASMov 2/8 -2/16 07- WDW Pop 2/4 - 2/14 07- WDW All Star Mus 9/11 - 9/17 08- WDW ASMov 10/27 - 10/30 08- DCL Wonder 10/30 - 11/2 09- WDW AS Mov 9/21 - 9/27 09- DCL Wonder 9/27 - 10/1 10- WDW Off Prop. 4/23- 4/25 10- DCL Magic 7ngt Estrn 10/23-10/30 10- WDW CSR 10/30-11/1 12 - POR 1/8 - 1/15 392 Miles from WDW
    I Survived the 40 Hr Live Show Oct. 1 - 2/2011
    Johnoinsc in 'The Box'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast