Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Cruise Line Discuss Walkie Talkies in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I know each room on the dream comes with 1 or 2 wave phones, but has anyone ever tried to use Walkie Talkies on the Disney Dream? My boys want ...
    wdwfns2 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Walkie Talkies

I know each room on the dream comes with 1 or 2 wave phones, but has anyone ever tried to use Walkie Talkies on the Disney Dream? My boys want to take them on the ship for when they're doing the Midship Detective Avency and I keep trying to explain to them that the Steel is too thick and we would get poor reception through different levels.

Any thoughts?
    Day 1 WDW Radio
    Keep to the code

Re: Walkie Talkies

Honestly I think they would annoy other guests. The walkie sound at the stor drives me crazy. They are always going off plus you end up hearing everyone's conversation.

JMO!!

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Before our entire family had cells and way before texting we used Walkie Talkies in WDW. We have good ones, they have a spot for earphones to the blah blah blah doesn't get broadcasted.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

That's what we have Gabe and the kids would have used the earpieces for fear of not being able to hear us while Lori was yelling at them
    Day 1 WDW Radio
    Keep to the code

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

I can see where they would help, especially before cell phones like you said Gabe, and I coul see where they would be a fun thing to use at times especially for kids doing that game. But I'm not really a fan of phones in the parks/on ships let alone walkie-talkies. I don't know what your children are like but in my experiences, when kids get their hands on walkie-talkies and they're playing a game it starts to get rambunctious. And quickly. I think it'd be good to supervise them if you weren't planning on it already.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Thank goodness those stupid Nextel things went away. Dumb blue collar workers and their Nextel phones. BEEP. Yeah, I'm on pole number six. How about you? BEEP
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW4Ever View Post
    I can see where they would help, especially before cell phones like you said Gabe, and I coul see where they would be a fun thing to use at times especially for kids doing that game. But I'm not really a fan of phones in the parks/on ships let alone walkie-talkies.
    When my DH & got cell phones we carried them to the parks. My kids are 5 years apart so we constantly split up so the older one could do so big kid attractions with one of us. First we'd call and later years we text. Also as the older one would hang back to sleep in the morning, yay cause he was cranky in the morning during those H.S. years, he would would be able to find us when he was human.

I don't know what your children are like but in my experiences, when kids get their hands on walkie-talkies and they're playing a game it starts to get rambunctious. And quickly. I think it'd be good to supervise them if you weren't planning on it already.
    I don't think they ever had the walkie off on their own, by then they had cells. Ah see I never had tolerance for kids that stepped out of line what so ever in public. My kids always talked about my evil eye. They knew and fell immediately back into line. I have the ability to talk through my teeth and not move my lips. If I had to make a correction out in public nobody was disturbed except the kid. Once again when I went to that tone the fear of the Mom brought them back to proper form for public.

If there is one thing that bugs me more than a kid acting up in public is the parent that is acting worse than the kid and creating a bigger disturbance screaming or slapping the kid around. Then you have a match set of flip outs. My thought was if I couldn't control them when they were little how the heck would I when they were bigger than me. (I'm really short.)

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Thank goodness those stupid Nextel things went away. Dumb blue collar workers and their Nextel phones. BEEP. Yeah, I'm on pole number six. How about you? BEEP
    Now, now now. There are many fine blue collar workers in this world.
    My Sis had one of those Nextel's for years as did her DH, he is a Merrill Lynch broker and she is an attorney. And yes, I hated them too.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Now, now now. There are many fine blue collar workers in this world.
    My Sis had one of those Nextel's for years as did her DH, he is a Merrill Lynch broker and she is an attorney. And yes, I hated them too.
    I'm speaking purely from personal experience. Taking the Staten Island Ferry to and from Manhattan each day to the office, trying to read or relax in peace. And some guy with his hard hat and plastic lunch cooler, with a towel hanging out of the back pocket of his jeans, having an out-loud conversation with his foreman aobut how he's running late to the job site (yet again). Etc etc etc. Enough to drive you mad.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Geeze people, ask a simple question and get run over like a freight train. Calm down everyone. Trust me, I would never let the kids go off alone screaming through the ship(I teach, this is my pet peeve) They wanted to split with each parent. if you read my second entry you would see we would use the headet so no beeping and it doesn't matter anyways because it's not happening due to poor reception through all that steel. I just wanted a simple yes or no verification of this, not a lecture telling me how my children are ruining your vacation...Oh, wait it's MY vacation! thank you for letting me vent my frustration...and Lori, please text me when you got a minute I have a question.
    Day 1 WDW Radio
    Keep to the code

Ok gang!! Let's end all the madness and agree to disagree!!

I will say that we tried using the Wave phones on the ship and half the time I was missing it vibrating in my pocket. I'd get a message but hours later.

My advice would be to double check with Disney. They may not even allow them with or without headsets.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

I never even gave any thought to walkie talkies on cruises until I saw them a couple of weeks ago on a (non-Disney) cruise and a family had them. I can see how they might help with staying in touch with your family while on board. When used sparingly, they could be a great tool. I'm sure their effectiveness will depend on the brand and power of the handsets. If they work through buildings, they should work on a ship. One call to Disney and one call to the manufacturer should clear this up for you.