Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Cruise Line Discuss Western Caribbean port excursions in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; My family (me and husband, 36; sons, 6 and 4; and mother-in-law, 60+) are booked for a 7-night Western Caribbean cruise aboard the Fantasy for April 2013. None of us ...
    Aurora1976 is offline A-Ticket holder

Western Caribbean port excursions

My family (me and husband, 36; sons, 6 and 4; and mother-in-law, 60+) are booked for a 7-night Western Caribbean cruise aboard the Fantasy for April 2013. None of us has spent much time in the Caribbean or Mexico, and the only cruise I've ever been on is a 4-night 10 years ago for our honeymoon (this is actually a sort of 10-year anniversary celebration). We didn't do any shore excursions on our honeymoon trip. My mother-in-law has been on many cruises (though this will be her first Disney cruise), but she generally doesn't sign up for any port excursions or anything "extra."

I've been trying to find reviews of DCL Western Caribbean shore excursions online, but haven't found many. I have no idea which ones we should sign up for, if any. We'd need something kid-friendly, since my sons are only 4 and 6. I'm considering one of the dolphin experiences for myself and my older son, since I think we'd both enjoy that and it would be something unique that he'd never forget. I'm also considering one of the partial submarine excursions, or perhaps just one of the beach excursions (I love swimming in Caribbean waters!), but I'm not sure which are the best and worth the money. Or should we just spend extra time on the ship or perhaps explore some/all ports on our own? Any advice/experience is welcome!
    Beth in Maine
    Mom to two little active, adorable, Disney-loving boys
    Next Disney vacation:
    7-night Western Caribbean cruise on the Disney Fantasy in April 2013

FLi
    FLi is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Western Caribbean port excursions

Hello!

You are in for an AMAZING trip!! Myself and my now Fiance went on this Trip in November (first time Cruisers and complete converts!).

We did the following port excursions...:

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands - Dolphin Encounter and Turtle Farm
    *This was a great trip! The dolphin encounter was enjoyed a lot more by my fiance as he had never swam with dolphins before, however, I have been to Discovery Cove FL (so a little spoiled experience wise!).. So, if one of your party has never had a dolphin encounter before you should do it.. its a great introduction to the creatures. Following this you are given access to the Turtle Farm, which was a fantastic experience as each of your group gets to hold and have pictures with baby turtles (again a real crowd pleaser!). We also had a good hour after the excursion to have a look round the port which was an added bonus!

Costa Maya, Mexico - Jungle Beach Break
    * Hmm, wasn't overly impressed with this one.. there were a couple of other visiting Ships in port that day and the staff at the beach were pretty persistent with the alcohol.. so as you can imagine sun, sea and alcohol created a few unruly drunken souls.. so not one for the kiddies!

Cozumel, Mexico - Cozumel Highlights and Mayan Ruins
    * Brilliant, just brilliant! Got to see so much of the island and the tour guide was so passionate about the island. All the stops were interesting and you weren't too long at any one place, so your kids shouldn't get too bored! (Honestly recommend this one!)

Castaway Cay - No excursion booked
    * We decided to explore the island, as it was our first trip; we did however hire the snorkel gear, which I totally recommend! A few couples who we ate dinner with recommended the Para sailing excursion!

I hope some of this info helps!

Let me know if you have any more questions.. and I'm TOTALLY jealous of your trip, I know you'll have a fantastic time!

Frey xx

Aurora1976 is offline A-Ticket holder

Thanks for the reply Frey! I'd love to do the Mayan ruins tour at Cozumel - I'll look into that one.
    Beth in Maine
    Mom to two little active, adorable, Disney-loving boys
    Next Disney vacation:
    7-night Western Caribbean cruise on the Disney Fantasy in April 2013

tiggerjay is offline A-Ticket holder

Aurora,

I would also highly recommened the Mayan Ruins tour at Cozumel, and it is family friendly. On Grand Cayman there are several spots where you can rent a snorkel and mask and do some snorkeling on your own that can be a lot of fun.