Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By supernova
  • 1 Post By HauntedGabe
  • 1 Post By firemedic
  • 1 Post By HauntedGabe
Disney Cruise Line Discuss Sadly another child drowns, Carnival ship in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Don't think it matters anymore if it is Carnival or Disney, they both have their pool safety issues. A 6 year old boy drowns on the final leg of the ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Sadly another child drowns, Carnival ship

Don't think it matters anymore if it is Carnival or Disney, they both have their pool safety issues.

A 6 year old boy drowns on the final leg of the cruise that pulled into Miami this morning, he was from Winter Haven FL. He was swimming the buddy system with his 10 year old brother. When he became submerged other passengers helped pull him from the pool and attempted to revive him.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Sadly another child drowns, Carnival ship

Right. This could happen on any vessel at any time. I wonder what the actual laws are once you're at sea? I'm sure the fleet line has insurance, though where does liability start and end? What time of the day was this? What type of pool? Any posted signs? Have to read the actual story and get some answers.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Right. This could happen on any vessel at any time. I wonder what the actual laws are once you're at sea? I'm sure the fleet line has insurance, though where does liability start and end? What time of the day was this? What type of pool? Any posted signs? Have to read the actual story and get some answers.
    My real career dealt with Maritime Law everyday. First,if you actually read whatyou are signing away booking a cruise pretty much your life as you go board and go out to sea, most don't. US law doesn't cover it, it is covered by a 90+ year old archaic Maritime law, if you are out to see, injured or killed your entitled to little or nothing. Commercial cargo is valued though, just not humans out to sea.

If you go back to the BP oil spill, the workers on the rig that died and injured were entitled to settlements. The workers on the vessel were not legally entitled to anything as it was considered a sea vessel. The High Seas Act, part of Maritime Law is a mega loop hole. (it also exempts owners from labor laws.) In the early 2000's a Carnival Cruise ship never came back and the corporation had little to say about it and didn't have to. DOHSA pays a portion of workers salary to children and families, very small but families and children out to see are basically are out in the cold. So if going on a cruise, traveler insurance is a good idea for injuries or death, plus to cover major illnesses happening while out at sea as costs are higher than most insurance companies in US will cover. To further limit liability Disney, Carnival etc. will not fly an American Flag on their ships. If ships doctor is grossly incompetent there is really no recourse either.

It is posted that Lifeguards are not on duty, which at Sea removes the ships from liability. In this case the older brother was in the water and parent was also at side of pool. The family has probably figured out now all transport and funeral expenses will likely be the parents responsibility.

Me, having adult children that are likely the highest trained lifeguards of non open water, waterparks and certified trainers of lifeguards I don't like the practice of the absence of lifeguards. They've train their lifeguards 4 hours every month in CPR, AEDs, deep and shallow water rescues, when to do breathing/when to do CPR, obstructed breathing. Disney at WDW puts 40 hours of training for lifeguards and 4 hours of inservice in emergency training each and every month. Deck staff on a cruise ship IMO isn't a replacement for lifeguards when a victim is pulled from the water.

Norwegian Cruise Line is the only major cruise line that I am aware of that post lifeguards at their pools. NCL also flies an American Flag on their ships where Carnival and Disney opt not to fly an American Flag or post lifeguards.

As for Carnival they are stating that this is their first deadly drowning on one of their ships in one of their swimming pools. But media outlets are not amused with that statement as a 41 years old man drowned on the same ship as this boy last month in a hot tub. Bet the mans and boys families are ticked with the semantics of that media statement.

Basically the International Maritime Law has not been updated in about a hundred years to be current with safety or corporate accountability. Until then I'm betting there will be few cruise lines like NCL to post lifeguards.
    supernova likes this.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    As for Carnival they are stating that this is their first deadly drowning on one of their ships in one of their swimming pools. But media outlets are not amused with that statement as a 41 years old man drowned on the same ship as this boy last month in a hot tub. Bet the mans and boys families are ticked with the semantics of that media statement.
    Remember... crazy Whitney Houston drowned in a shower stall tub.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Note to self: stay off of a Carnival ship!
    Evilduckqueen likes this.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

This is an OMG moment and I never thought I'd ever see it happen.

The Disney Magic came out of dry dock rehab and after the first trip was canceled last week, today was the first voyage of the new Disney Magic.

And there is a LIFEGUARD posted at the pool.
    Evilduckqueen likes this.