Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Cruise Line Discuss Disney Cruise Line - How young (or old?) in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; We were thinking of taking the Disney Cruise either as part of our 5 year anniversary or before Mousefest in December. However, my daughter will only be a year in ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

Disney Cruise Line - How young (or old?)

We were thinking of taking the Disney Cruise either as part of our 5 year anniversary or before Mousefest in December. However, my daughter will only be a year in November. (Mickey's 76th for anyone who cares)

Now I know what you're all saying... "she won't remember the trip..." yadda yadda yadda. We know that, but might as well get her used to going at least twice a year now, right? My question is this: Is 1 year old too young to take on the ship? We've been on cruises before (and LOVED it!!), but this whole baby thing is new to us, so we were looking for some advice.

I am leaning towards not going until next year sometime, but any tips are appreciated.

Thanks!!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

adambreakey is offline Moderator
    Ace - I would say that 1yr is young for the boat - BUT - I would still do it. You can take advantage of the nursery to get a nice meal at Palo, or stroll around the decks just the two of you. It would be like a vacation for two, without having to leave the baby at the grandparents. Also, the time in the nursery isn't as hard on the parents as you are only a beeper away from her at all times.

Taking a 1yr old doesn't cost you much more either... only the port fees, so there is no real financial reason not to go now with her.

We went on the Wonder last fall - and had a BLAST. Our 6 yr old didn't want to leave the Oceaneers club at all. She has even started her own piggy bank savings account to help pay for the next cruise. I think she has about five dollars in it now.. gotta love kids.

I say go for it!!!!

adamb
    To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.

Parkhopper is offline A-Ticket holder
    The parks are great at any age, but the Ship is probably not the best vacation for a 1 year old. It is definitely a great place to take kids who are old enough to participate in the Oceaneer's Club and Lab. We have to schedule spending time with our son Tony around the activities! He plans out his whole cruise with the schedule.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    I think we're going to hold off until next year to do the Cruise... just so she can appreciate it a little (plus, it gives me more time in WDW this year!)
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10
    I think we're going to hold off until next year to do the Cruise... just so she can appreciate it a little (plus, it gives me more time in WDW this year!)
    I think you made a wise decision of waiting, but I would say that 3 years old would be the minimum age. What you have heard about the Terrible 2's is not correct, it's worse!!! Been there; done that--twice.

Took out son (our daughter, a bicentennial baby, was not quite 1) to the MK at 3 in 1977 and he was OK, if a little hyper about wanting to get on every ride without waiting. It was July (90+ degrees and 75+% humidty) and the MK was jammed pack. Still remember we spent $20 for Cokes for 1 day, and they were a lot cheaper then than now. Oh, the good old days.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

TinkerbellRocks is offline A-Ticket holder
    I went in 2000 and there were babies on the trip. There is a nursery on board for those times when you need time to yourself (if you feel comfortable with that idea). So, it depends on how you feel about it. It is great that you have asked others of their opinion though. I hope you get the answer that will be most helpful for your situation.
    <Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'July 18, 2005 5:30:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=fuchsia>Countdown to My 7th Magical Journey to WDW</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Hangin w/ the WDW crew!!!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>

TinkAttitude is offline grumpy too

maybe better to wait

although i agree that disneyworld is awesome stimulation for a baby of ANY age, i would have to say that it would be better for everyone in your family to wait until your youngest child is old enough to not be in the nursery - they get so much out of the programs, character visits, experiments, movies, games, and other activities... our cruise was amazing because the kids had such an unbelievable experience and we actually had time to R-E-L-A-X (you'll discover the meaning of this unusual word on your first disney cruise!) - unlike our trips to the parks which are fun and awesome, but not too relaxing!

AllieBee is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Hi! We took DD on the Magic when she was 9 months. It definitely wasn't the ideal way to cruise, as one of us had to be in the stateroom with her for naps and early bedtime. But we really enjoyed ourselves. She went to Flounder's Reef a few times and did just great there. The CM's there were amazing. It wasn't our choice when to cruise, though, it was a big family trip and so we went along with their plans. If I were to do it over, I would probably wait until she was 3. Of course, we're leaving again for Disney Magic Cruise #2 in 3 weeks, and DD will be 3 months shy of 3 years old, but again, not our choice. I think she's going to love it, though. If she would just get on board with this darn potty training!!!

I think if you went now you'd have a great time, but if you wait you'll have a better one. Why not go both times and chalk it up to "research trips?"
    October, 2003 - Wilderness Lodge
    January, 2006 - Disney Magic
    January, 2007 - Windsor Hills Resort
    October, 2007 - Bonnet Creek Resort
    January, 2008 - Disney Magic
    January, 2010 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 28-February 5, 2011 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 12-January 15, 2012 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 28 -January 31, 2012 - Pop Century

Read my pre-trip report!
    http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...ip-report.html

flutter is offline Moderator
    This thread was started 3 1/2 yrs ago

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    The thread is old, but how long did Lou wait to go on that first cruise?
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

AllieBee is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Oops, sorry! This board doesn't see a lot of action does it??
    October, 2003 - Wilderness Lodge
    January, 2006 - Disney Magic
    January, 2007 - Windsor Hills Resort
    October, 2007 - Bonnet Creek Resort
    January, 2008 - Disney Magic
    January, 2010 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 28-February 5, 2011 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 12-January 15, 2012 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 28 -January 31, 2012 - Pop Century

Read my pre-trip report!
    http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...ip-report.html