Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disney Cruise Line Discuss Disney Cruise Line - The Truth in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; My wife and I are planning on a second honeymoon for our anniversary. We have decided on a cruise. . . . a Disney cruise of course! I have a ...
    shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!

Disney Cruise Line - The Truth

My wife and I are planning on a second honeymoon for our anniversary. We have decided on a cruise. . . . a Disney cruise of course!
    I have a lot of WDW knowledge, but the DCL is an area where I am very much lacking. I would like any information any DWT members would like to give me about the cruises. Specifically, I would like to be directed toward any trip reports. Differences about the routes. Is it worth the money?
    Some concerns of mine are:
    1. The DVD they sent was great, but I have worked at WDW long enough to know that things aren't always like they are on Disney's promotional material. They make it seem like the characters frolic hand in hand with your children on an empty deck all of their own. I know they do the same thing in WDW vacation planning videos. Are the characters mobbed like they are in the parks? Is there a huge line to see the characters?
    2. The children's areas. Will my kids get bored with their areas quickly? They are age 7 and 11, both girls.
    3. Going on from the above. Will WE get bored quickly with what the ship has to offer. I have been on 3 cruises with other lines. The longest was 2 weeks long. After about 5 days I couldn't wait to get off the ship. My wife has never been on a cruise. Is there really a lot to do on the Disney Cruises. . . . especially if you are not a big drinker/dancer?

We will probably go with the land/sea option if we do decide on going with DCL because, even though we have APs we never get a chance to stay at the resorts because we live locally. We think it would be great to just immerse ourselves in Disney instead of having to drive home at night. Is this a good idea, or should we just book some rooms at Port Orleans at Florida Resident rates and use our APs and go with a 7 day cruise?

As you can tell, we are still in the early planning stage. We plan on going in March or April. Any specific information or especially trip reports will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by shadesofgreen; 10-02-2005 at 11:19 AM.
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    We did a 4 night cruise 2 years ago in October 2003. We loved it. We paired it with a 4 night stay at BWV. I don't remember how much it cost because we had some leftover DVC points we needed to use up, so we used them on the cruise.

Don't be worried about there not being enough to do, there is a lot to do on the ship from shows, games, wine tasting, movies, clubs, bingo, etc. Since it was just the two of us, we focused on the "adult" areas of the trip. Palo is the adult restaurant, and very worth the fee...i think it's $10 now...it used to be $5 per person. There is also an adult pool and adult beach. I didn't notice a lot of binge drinking, which was nice. People on our cruise seemed to enjoy the alcohol, but didn't over indulge. One of our favorite things was the dueling pianos, which I don't think they have anymore.

Sometimes the characters can be mobbed, but it's like that in the parks too. So, there is no real difference other than several of the characters are in nautical gear.

Consider your excursions carefully, I do NOT recommend the glass bottom boat tour. It ****ed. We hardly saw any fish; and it stole time away from Castaway Cay. Atlantis at Nassau is "debatable." If you've been to nice aquariums before, then skip it. I walked away with the sense this hotel has delusions of grandeur. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice hotel...but not that nice, IMHO. One thing to consider is if the port doesn't interest you, stay on the ship and take in some pool time while everyone gets off the boat.

The highlight of the trip was Castaway Cay. I really wish we had more than 1 day here.

I can't comment on the kid's areas. Although, the teen that was at our dinner table loved the teen area because we never saw him after the first night. He made friends with other kids and had a great time per his parents.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Thanks! According to the DVD they still have the dueling pianos.
    Anyone else?

olmec26 is offline Created by Mark Burnett
    I went on a 4-night cruise this past mardi gras, and it was excellent. Great food, great Crew members (yes, Crew...there's no "Cast Members" on the ships!). The highlight was of course Castaway Cay. I did the Jet Ski excursion on Castaway Cay, and it was well worth it.

The teen area was nice, but I didn't spend a lot of time there (although I might be partial, considering I had a lot of my friends on bord as well as access to the Roy O. Disney Suite).

Animator's Palate is my favorite restaurant. It really is something to see the room change color before your eyes. Parrot Cay was good too, especially with the live entertainment. I didn't eat at Triton's (which is equivalant to Lumiere's on the Magic), because we ordered Palo from room service in the Roy Suite. Palo was excellent (how many 15 years olds can say that?).

The shows were great...we got "interviewed" for the Golden Mickeys (my favorite!). Herecules is very funny, and Disney Dreams gave me chills (as did every time they played "Remember The Magic" before and after each show). They had a cool Disney Trivia contest in Diversions one afternoon, and they have lots more activities.

The character greetings are somewhat like the park...you can check the Navigator for the greeting times, and then go get their autographs. They also have Character Meals in some restaurants, and I saw pleanty of characters just wondering around the ship (Wendy comes to mind immediately).

Overall, I loved the DCL. I have been on a Carnival Cruise as well, and found the Disney Cruise to be much better.
    -Taylor

Por favor mantanganse alijado de las puertas.

luvdamouse is offline A-Ticket holder
    We did the 4 night cruise in Dec of 03, and LOVED it! The food was incredible, the service was fantastic. The shore excursion we did was snorkling in Nassua(sp), which was fun. With it being just me and the wife, we never got bored, great shows, overall, I would really recommend it!

PS....Castaway Cay is really nice, worthy of 2 days!
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day"

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."-----Walt Disney

December 2006, back to the Kingdom!!

mrp4352 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I've only been on the cruise without kids, so I can't help with the kids questions - but as adults my friends and I found plenty to do! If you're not sure about it, book the land and sea - but I would recommend booking the parts separately, it's significantly less expensive. Disney will work out the transfers for you (if you choose to purchase transfers through Disney). One of the best times we found to meet the characters is on Castaway Cay. Get up early and hit the island about 15 minutes after the all clear sounds. We ended up playing with Ca'n Hook and Mr. Smee for 5-10 minutes(yes, playing, he stole my ring off my finger and made me buy it back with my Key to the World card, which he promptly 'mailed' back to the mainland). It was the absolute best character interaction I have ever had! Then, we wandered down a little further and came on Minnie, Pluto and Mickey with little to no line. :-)
    Please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic!

We had a great time when we went for our Honeymoon. We are waiting to go back once our youngest is 3. The shows are great and we had a lot of fun at the comedy club as well. When we were there there were tons of characters and there were never lines like there are at the parks. You would even see Chip and Dale in their sailor suits playing ping pong on the deck with the kids!

We went on the snorkeling excursion in Nassau and it was great! We also loved Castaway Cay as well and it was a great way to end a weeks long vacation. Very beautiful and relaxing!

Thanks for the info! I trust you all to give me the straight scoop, so DCL here we come!

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    Oh, I thought this topic would be a shocking tell-all by a disgruntled former DCL crewmember...

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

No, just a shocking ask-all by a nongruntled former WDW Castmember who still works on Disney property, just not at a Disney resort.

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    No, no. There must be some mistake. Shades Of Green IS a Disney resort.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

Normally I would say something sarcastic, but I just got off 5 days leave and I'm still

Give me a few days of answering stupid questions and I'll be back to

normal.

CMTracy is offline A-Ticket holder
    For starters, I would personally do the 4-day. Mostly because at the VERY least, you can do dinner at Palo one night without missing any of the other three restaurants lol.

The kids activities sure seem popular, and I know that the guests that are repeat guests tell me their kids LOVED the activities.

Tips:
    You can check in at 11am, but you aren't getting on board until 11:30-Noon (depends on how busy it is that sailing date). Also your room will not be ready until 1:30. However, as soon as you get on board, the lunch buffet is ready.

I've never seen anyone who wasn't THRILLED with their cruise, really! I don't know about on board, but the characters don't get TOO swamped in the terminal. They have a line, but it clears quickly...usually a couple minutes.

Do your paperwork EARLY. Do online check in, and fill out your bahama forms before you go. I've recently written some blogs with tips about cruising in them: http://disney.families.com/blog/

TinkAttitude is offline grumpy too

disney cruise puts all others to shame

before going on my first ever cruise of any kind, i too wondered what the heck we would do for 7 days? what on earth could be so entertaining/fun? the disney 7 day eastern carribbean was a vacation like NO other! every morning a spreadsheet was delivered to your door, of course it had a cute name - the personal navigator (get it?)... this sheet detailed every hour of the day, broken into categories of adults only activities, family activities, and kids activities (further broken down into age groups). my family would wake up and literally have to pick and choose and highlight all of the great activities we did not want to miss. my 7 year old used the pager they gave us to have pages sent to us asking to NOT be picked up! the kids had private parties with characters, science experiments, arts and crafts, computers, food, singing/dancing/music and more! my 3 year old also had fun and was often found asleep on a mat from so much fun. my husband and i saw comedians and other entertainers we never would have seen in our normal life, thanks to the kids' programming. we had date night every night! there were cooking classes, behind the scenes tours, game shows, and more. i could go on and on (and happily will) if you have any other questions i can answer. i would never go on any other cruise line after this experience, since we are not really into drinking and gambling... if the 15 day cruises were not during school time we would sell our souls to go!

knight9542 is offline A-Ticket holder
    My Wife And I Are Going On The 4 Day Disney Wonder Cruise In May. This Will Be Our First Cruise And We Are Really Looking Forward To It. We Have Been To Wd W With Our Four Children And This December We Will Be Going Back Possibly A 3land And 4 Sea Package Depending On How Our Trip Goes. But Now I Have A Question. Does Anyone Know If An Excursion Is Already Booked Up, Is There Any Other Way To Get On It?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast