Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Disney On A Dime Discuss What are some neat/unusual ways you save for your trip? in the Money Saving Tips / Budgeting forums; Another keeper of the change here!! My son and I never use change for anything....it change goes straight into "Disney Money" which we keep in one of those big plastic ...
    DznyDreaming is offline A-Ticket holder
    Another keeper of the change here!!
    My son and I never use change for anything....it change goes straight into "Disney Money" which we keep in one of those big plastic popcorn containers from one of our trips.

We also have a great time rolling the coins and talking about our trip. It is a wonderful time to spend together getting us in the mood! These memories are just as important as the trip itself.

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    we have change too.. but i have a duralast battery a change holder.. LOL

its a battery that was used to for show.. their is nothing in it.. when you pop the top on it.. it has lil sections that i used to keep each type of coin separted... and a slot that i used for special coin i refuse to role and spend..
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    I was thinking about getting a weekend job at the local Disney Store just for vacation money. The last time I worked there I spent more than my paycheck though. I kind of like having weekends off to for the first time in my life so I can't decided.
    Dreams Really Do Come True

capitalangel is offline A-Ticket holder
    I do the change thing a little but I have a weird way for most of it....I buy disney gift cards. The teens at my church sell gift cards as a fundraiser (they get a percentage of the sale). I buy cards from them, then added them to my account until i paid of my trip. Now I buy them for spending money. That way i only have to carry a small amount of cash in the parks, and the youth group gets money. I was able to buy cards a little at a time and since the money is on the cards, I CAN"T SPEND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can buy cards at the disney store or online. I also asked for gift cards for my birthday.
    I want to go back...and live in the world with the mouse

pelegirl56 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I watch every Disney special I can get my hands on (Travel Channel, History Channel, etc) and write a list of my priorities (food, special events, etc), then I do a lot of internet research to find it cheaper. I eat at the "nicer" places for lunch, when sometimes it's cheaper. I read the Orlando Sentinel online weeks before I go to see if there is anything special going on that might offer a reduced rate. I call the rental car places and try to negotiate my prices for my rental car (I have been successful about 80% of the time), and I purchase a gas card well before I leave so that I already have that pretty much budgeted out. I purchase my airfare (sometimes) through Southwest Airlines Ding! Fare or through TED. I also use a Disney Credit card and accrue the points and I am a change saver .

Oh, and my brother, parents and I went in a bought a "time ownership" which is pretty much a time share with some tax breaks and flexibility in usage. The thing has paid for itself three times over. It is not a DVC, but can be used at select DVC resorts with some transfer time, so we are able to stay at Saratoga Springs, etc.
    "I am always counting down to my next trip to Disney World

LockShockBarrel is offline C-Ticket Holder
    i'm one of the spare changers. i rarely use it because i hate being that person looking for one more penny. my only problem is if i have a piggy bank or container that i can open, i tend to break into it for other stuff. so what i do is get a decent size container that i don't mind ruining that i can use and that has a lid i can cut a coin slot into. then i glue the top down. this way i can't break into it for whatever, and i'll only cut into it once its full. i've used coffee cans with the plastic lids, butter tubs, anything like that really and if you have kids (granted i'm 22 and i still do this) you can decorate the container! this works the best with the coffee can as you can paint over the metal and write "disney fund" or what have you on it.

First Timer is offline I saw the Mouse now I want to go back!
    I save all my change and one dollar bills in a jar. We never plan more then 3 months in advance but i still manage to save anywhere from 100 to 150 dollars
    Loni

First Trip- Jan. 07, POFQ
    Second Trip- May 08, Pop Century

InStitches is offline Fastpass Holder
    Georgia, but wishing I were on the "Loveliest Village on the Plains!"
    I'm so glad I ran across this thread. I was able to save enough change last year to buy our tickets. Immediately after out trip, I began saving again and we will have enough again for our trip in Nov.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.
    I suggest getting a hield interest savings account. I have one from INGdirect that started as 4.5% APR. I transfer over to that as often as I can and since its not easily acessible I leave it alone. I plan on throwing our tax return into it and holding it until we go. If you decide to get one of the ING accounts let me know and I can send you a link via email. I get a referral bonus! More Disney money!!!!
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle
    i run the finances in our house, Disney is listed as a bill that needs paying every week!
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants

AuntBee is offline A-Ticket holder

Cool Ways to Save

Spare change, yes. Disney Visa, big yes! Last year I had enough points saved to pay entirely for our room at Port Orleans Riverside, as well as our Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party tickets! I also go off-season, when the rates are lower, and then use a special promo from Visa to get an even better rate! My best savings will change after this next visit though: I will be using the last day of my multi-day tickets that had no expiration AUTOMATICALLY added; from now on, we'll have to pay for that option.

disneyveteran is offline 24 trips to the World and counting
    I also save change, and my small children add to the fund with change they find on the ground. I've also been making jewelry for a few years now and half of my sales go into that fund. My mom opened a Disney only savings and we both drop money in it. Last year that added up to $800.
    TINA

2009 April Boardwalk & Beach Club Villas
    2008 July Polynesian Conceierge
    2008 March Beach Club Villas
    2007 July Contemporary Concierge
    2007 April Grand Floridian Concierge/Beach Club Villas
    2006 July The Villas at the Wilderness Lodge
    2006 April Polynesian Concierge
    2005 Contemporary/Grand Floridian Concierge
    2004 Grand Floridian Concierge
    2003 Polynesian Concierge
    2002 Beach Club Villas
    2001 Polynesian
    2000 Polynesian

tasha36 is offline Dreaming....
    [quote=DisneyDreamer13;512559]I'm in the UK & my kids are getting money each week in dollars. quote]

We also do this - my parents give us birthday/christmas money in dollars so we can't spend it before we go!
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs
    2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2014 - Whole family trip! (Thanks Dad!)
    2015 - Three trips in a row?? Fingers crossed

Jenroc is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I also do the change thing. I wrapped a 10 litre (I'm Canadian, eh ! lol) in Disney wrapping paper so that we really can't see what is in there. I add ALL change we find/get from shopping and when finances aren't too tight I add in $5.00 bills too.
    It is amazing how fast things add up especially since we have $1.00 and $2.00 coins !!!
    I am going to start adding $20.00 from each of my daycare families when they pay me in cash each week ($60.00 to $100.00 per week). I have my kids add 1/2 of their allowances to the trip fund too, so they have their own money to spend.
    Can't wait to go back to my happy place !

All it takes is a little pixie dust...a true heart of a child...to enjoy the Happiest Place on Earth !
    Disneyland -- 1968, 1969 X 2, 1974, 1977, 1982, 1984 X2, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1992 X 2, 2007 (Pirates Premier)
    Walt Disney World -- 1974, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979 X 2, 1980 X 2, 1981, 1982 X 2, 1983, 1999 (New Yr's Eve Celebrations), 2006 (Halloween Night), Nov./Dec. 2007

Jenroc is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Oh yeah ..... I forgot ! I also preplan what events/recreational extras that we want to do. I then take envelopes, write on the outside the event, the amount per person and total amount and keep it with my Disney planning book. When I have extra money, after all the bills are paid for the week, I add the bils to the envelope and put it away. Being a single mom, I can't afford to lock away money, in case of emergencies. The money is still available but in a sealed envelope for safe keeping.
    I also have a P/T job and some of that $$$ is left in the bank for my trips.
    Can't wait to go back to my happy place !

All it takes is a little pixie dust...a true heart of a child...to enjoy the Happiest Place on Earth !
    Disneyland -- 1968, 1969 X 2, 1974, 1977, 1982, 1984 X2, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1992 X 2, 2007 (Pirates Premier)
    Walt Disney World -- 1974, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979 X 2, 1980 X 2, 1981, 1982 X 2, 1983, 1999 (New Yr's Eve Celebrations), 2006 (Halloween Night), Nov./Dec. 2007

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast