Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Disney On A Dime Discuss Cheap Eats at WDW in the Money Saving Tips / Budgeting forums; Cheap Eats At Walt Disney World - A Short Excerpt from "Disney on a Dime" (The Book), Coming Summer 2005!!! --> Food and drinks can really “eat” into the vacation ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

Smile Cheap Eats at WDW

Cheap Eats At Walt Disney World - A Short Excerpt from "Disney on a Dime" (The Book), Coming Summer 2005!!!

Food and drinks can really “eat” into the vacation budget. The amount of money people expect to spend on food is often underestimated. When you have a family eating out 3 meals per day and consuming snacks, the food bill can sky rocket! We have many tips and tricks for saving money at Disney World when it comes to food and drinks.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Todd Henderson is offline A-Ticket holder
    I definitely agree with you. Yesterday I read all(well some)of LaBretton's posts and I think she is in for a rude awakening if she expects to go off property without her own car to eat.
    GoofyforgoingtoDW

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    There is nothing "cheap" at WDW--food included! However, you can save money on food by buying the children's items at the parks and resorts and/or spliting a chicken dinner, chicken strips, etc. The most expensive thing at any park, or anywhere else, is the popcorn and drinks.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) 2014 (11) Total Trips/Days = 27/364

*Off Property

DisneyonaDime is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy Cricket
    There is nothing "cheap" at WDW--food included! However, you can save money on food by buying the children's items at the parks and resorts and/or spliting a chicken dinner, chicken strips, etc. The most expensive thing at any park, or anywhere else, is the popcorn and drinks.
    I agree that nothing is "cheap", especially when buying for a family. Bottled water for my family (6) runs $15 a clip. Multiply that by at least 3 or 4 a day and we can easily drop $50, just on drinks!! Biggest tip ever- bring your own water. We typically save $200-$300 every trip.

We tend to be a little more hard core than most, and usually don't spend a dime in the parks on most days. We took a trip last year for 8 days and only spent money in the parks on 2 of those days (ice cream). We aren't always like that, but it can be done.
    Chris
    Co-author of "Disney on a Dime"- now for sale !!!! Get our new book, plus some extra free goodies when you buy from our site-
    www.DisneyonaDime.com
    Find daily and weekly tips, updates, and now- our book.
    "You can drop a grand in Disney World like that!"- Frank Costanza

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    We never usually dine in the parks at all which saves us some money only and occasional ice cream.
    The cheapest breakfast buffet was the Trail End Buffet at Fort Wilderness for $11.99

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Mr. iwannabeminnie and I love eating at WDW. It is one of the reasons we go. However, we almost ALWAYS split an appetizer, entree, and dessert. That makes our meal 1/2 price. We are always stuffed!

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by iwannabeminnie
    Mr. iwannabeminnie and I love eating at WDW. It is one of the reasons we go. However, we almost ALWAYS split an appetizer, entree, and dessert. That makes our meal 1/2 price. We are always stuffed!
    It's really the only way to do it when you've got two adults with similar tastes in food. It allows us to sample the more pricey/up scale places on property. We also split counterservice, snacks, and drinks.

The only time for us this doesn't work is when DH wants fish/seafood....then we'll order 2 entrees with no appetizer or dessert.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

JoannaOhio is offline A-Ticket holder
    When my DD, DGD & I went to WDW in December 2000, the only food we bought in the parks was a carryout basket of fish & chips at Epcot. (It smelled so yummy on that chilly afternoon, and we really enoyed our "splurge".) We ate a hearty breakfast in our off-site rental condo, and packed lunches and snacks to eat while sitting on benches in the parks. We didn't want to spend the money or the time for sit down restaurant meals.

When we go this coming December, DD's fiancee will be with us (for his first time at WDW). He'll be in his electric wheelchair due to muscular dystrophy, and I have a feeling that things may be a little different. First of all, in order to feed himself, he needs to be where he can rest his arms on a table for leverage. My DD is looking into a table attachment for his wc, partly so he can use a digital camera - but this may also provide enough of a table for some snacks, etc. I'm not sure if he can be comfortable with the casual dining that we're used to. I kind of doubt that they'll do any sitdown restaurant meals, but they may choose to eat at some of the counter service places. If so, I guess I can still bring my own lunch, and sit at a table with them.

They are picking up the tab for our rented private villa, but I'll pay for my park passes, any meals I eat away from the villa, and anything else I want to buy. I'll be supervising my DGD at the villa while DD & fiancee go off on a 4-night cruise, so I don't feel like a total leech. However, I don't want them to have to pay for any meals for me at Disney, nor do I want to feel pressured to spend money I can't afford. This is very important to me because I am retired and live on a very limited, fixed income. We still have more than seven months to sort out the details, but I will definitely want to have these issues settled before we go.

BTW - one thing that DD and I agree on is taking our Brita filter water bottles. No way will we pay for bottled water when the Brita works great at filtering out the sulphur taste of Disney water.

DisneyonaDime is offline Moderator
    Hey JoannaOhio,

First, Welcome to the boards!!!

I totally agree with your planning strategy. If it doesn't matter to you where you eat, don't waste the money. Feel free while you are there to bring in your own food and eat at the counter restaurant areas. They are not reserved for paying customers. You are a paying customer by paying to get into the park. No one will notice or question you if you bring your own food in. We do it all the time.

The water-filter bottles is a great tip that we put in the book. For some bottled water seems a little more secure, but filtering your water is just as good and can be cheaper if you use it a lot.

Again, welcome to the boards and enjoy your trip!!!
    Chris
    Co-author of "Disney on a Dime"- now for sale !!!! Get our new book, plus some extra free goodies when you buy from our site-
    www.DisneyonaDime.com
    Find daily and weekly tips, updates, and now- our book.
    "You can drop a grand in Disney World like that!"- Frank Costanza

JoannaOhio is offline A-Ticket holder
    Thanks for the welcome. I discovered this site in a rather convoluted manner, and I'm really glad to have found it. Also, thanks for the reassurance that we can bring our own food and eat at the tables at the counter restaurants. I have a phone date with my DD this afternoon, and I'll be sure to pass this info along. I'm sure we can find some take-along food that her fiancee will find acceptable, so maybe we won't have to buy any meals after all. YAY!!! (In any case, it's good to know that I will have that choice.) I don't object to occasionally splurging on a meal in a nice restaurant, but when I do, I'd rather it be a leisurely evening outing - not one where I'll be chomping at the bit to get back to the Disney rides and attractions - (or feeling rushed by the restaurant to finish my meal and get out so they can seat the next group waiting in line).

mickaholic4077 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I think the cheaper eats in Disney are the buffets. I just love the Biergarten. The trick there is to get the last lunch seating(3:45 pm). You will get both lunch and dinner offerings at the lunch price.

shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!
    We try not to spend a dime in the parks on food or drinks. . . . We eat at the WDW restaurants as seperate nights out, sometimes with the kids, sometimes without.

If we do get something in the parks it's maybe a Turkey leg to munch while waiting for Fantasmic.

The food is just too much, especially if you live in the area and can hit a $3.99 Ponderosa breakfast on the way.
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"

Swackiron is offline B-Ticket Holder

My favorite cheap eats.

Hello all. This is my very first post! Yay for me! My girlfriend and I went to Disney last 2 years ago (her 2nd time, my like 20th). Too long, but anyway, we feel the biggest thing about going is sparing no expense. When we go there, we save to do it right. We want to go again soon (hopefully!).

But back to the topic. My favorite places to eat cheap in WDW are: Splitting a Turkey Leg in Magic Kingdom. This is a great, cheap meal for 2.
    The Land at Epcot. I usually go and get the kids Mick-a-roni and cheese meal, and a baked potato. Fills me up on not that much.

Also, if you don't have a water bottle with you, we just buy 1 water bottle and fill it up at fountains. You don't really need 1 bottle per person, as I feel it is not necessary, and causes more stuff to carry.

Those are just my thoughts on it. I hope someone, anyone finds this helpful!

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    Welcome Swack.....enjoy the boards.... and I agree with ya on the bottle thing...lugging 3 or 4 water bottles around is a pain....especially if you got small kid stuff to drag with ya too(diapers, etc.) I have no qualms about drinking out of someone elses bottle...lol The fountain water doesnt taste that great but when you are thirsty anything is good.
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    A meal Mr. iwannabeminnie and I discovered on our most recent trip was the 1/2 chicken dinner in the Animal Kingdom's Tusker House. EASILY shared between two people and at a decent price!
    They call me "Nana"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast