Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Disney Links Discuss Why do we listen to Jim Hill? in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; It seems that anyone who searches the internet for insider Disney info stumbles across Jim Hill. He has a long and dicey history with Disney (which I'll leave out in ...
  1. #1
    FigmentMushu's Avatar
    FigmentMushu is offline Chuck & Leigh
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    404

    Why do we listen to Jim Hill?

    It seems that anyone who searches the internet for insider Disney info stumbles across Jim Hill. He has a long and dicey history with Disney (which I'll leave out in the interest of staying focused.) He's a frequent podcast guest because much like RATATOUILLE'S Anton Ego, his criticism is often fun to read.

    But while he claims to be a fan of the mouse, his articles often paint a different picture. (This is the guy who wrote article after article about what an embarrassing failure RATATOUILLE was before finally admitting to its tremendous success.)

    What has me hopping mad now is a recent post to his site (Jim Hill : Oscar Watch '08: Miramax maxes out while the Mouse gets skunked) about the Oscar nominations. He writes about "a pretty impressive performance by Miramax Films. Particularly when you take into consideration the meager number of nominations that the Walt Disney Pictures side of the studio received this year."

    FACT: Buena Vista earned 10 nominations, tied with Warner Bros. for 3rd. Only Miramax and Paramount Vantage received more, and he credits the Max with PV's nominations.

    While he lists each and every Miramax nomination to make it look so impressive, he waves off Disney with a simple, "The Walt Disney Pictures side of the studio had to settle for a number of tech-related nominations."


    "To just to recap here ... If you work for the Miramax Films side of the Mouse House, Tuesday was a very "good news day" indeed. If -- on the other hand -- you work for the Walt Disney Pictures side of the studio and/or ABC ... Well, let's just say that Blue Monday arrived one day late."

    The article is just mean, mean, mean. I can only read into it that Jim Hill has some kind of grudge with Disney and doesn't miss an opportunity to take cheap shots.

    Anyone else notice this?

  2. #2
    MandaBella's Avatar
    MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    24,436
    I've stopped listening to him years ago. So when newbies come here and/or onto other online Disney communities with Jim Hill based rumors and speculations, I just take it with a grain of salt.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...


  3. #3
    GalPal's Avatar
    GalPal is offline Fastpass Holder
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Quad Cities
    Posts
    364
    I like listening to Jim's viewpoint.

    I don't always agree with him but he certainly makes some valid points. Helps me remember that, in the end, Disney is a very large corporation. With a responsibility to the stakeholders, it has to sometimes make unpopular decisions based on the almighty $$.

    I got to meet Jim at Epcot's 25th and he had some great stories to tell!

  4. #4
    mattj4226's Avatar
    mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Brookhaven, MS
    Posts
    877
    That name sounds familiar, but I can't think of who Jim Hill is. I probably should be embarrased, but who is he?
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/


    2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

    Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

  5. #5
    MayBWeRMnt2B's Avatar
    MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    the place where dreams come true...
    Posts
    7,413
    I never listen to Jim Hill. Personally, I think he is overhyped and he doesn't have correct information a lot of the time at all So he does nothing for me. I would never care to meet him or anything. I think he does hold a grudge.
    - Jeanne

    Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

    Aulani - September 2011



    Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

  6. #6
    DAR's Avatar
    DAR
    DAR is offline Fastpass Holder
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    580
    Plus the you can guarantee that he'll have some story about how the next Pixar release will be a failure. Every year it seems he has one.

  7. #7
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,220

    Newbie

    Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella View Post
    I've stopped listening to him years ago. So when newbies come here and/or onto other online Disney communities with Jim Hill based rumors and speculations, I just take it with a grain of salt.
    Interesting correlation to Newbies. Not sure what that distinction is meant to insinuate. Not all Newbies to DWT or other forums are new to Disney. We are shareholders in Disney. I found DWT after purchasing my second book of Lou's which was added to my vast collection of Disney media. My take is Newbies opinions have been welcomed by most and appears that there is an interest in new members by the continuation of the Monthly Membership Report Thread.
    Growing membership can only help Lou's pursuit of increased sales of his books, validity of this site (the more members on the site the more sponsors and revenue it can create) along with the charitable foundations. http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...-february.html DWT is a Newbie Site considering how long other sites have been in existence. DWT books are also Newbie's in a vast market of Disney related material out there, yet Lou found a great niche in that market and is to be congratulated for his success. That success is due in part to Newbies purchasing those books and becoming involved in this forum.

    I respect the editorial on Jim Hill. He is an odd character. He is really hit or miss, he sure misses on some movies. Yet he hit it on the head with the 2008 Dining Plan and the difficulties Disney Employees were having with DP Guests who signed up for the plan prior to the revisions were announced and walked into WDW without being advised to the changes. I have the Walt Disney Company 2007 Annual Report sitting on my table. Some of Hill's editorial comments/rumors were right on, others miss the mark. Hill like this forum and any other venue for Disney Informational sources are often based on Rumors. Some come true, some do not. Hill's little niche is his somewhat dark yet colorful coverage of Disney. Hill tends to raise blood-pressures and create discussion resulting in his success, his own niche in the vast Disney market. While I may own two or three grains of sand in Disney and be a Newbie to this site I can't say the Newbie status makes me any less knowledgeable about Disney as a whole or to Mr. Hill.

  8. #8
    MandaBella's Avatar
    MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    24,436
    Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Interesting correlation to Newbies. Not sure what that distinction is meant to insinuate. Not all Newbies to DWT or other forums are new to Disney. We are shareholders in Disney. I found DWT after purchasing my second book of Lou's which was added to my vast collection of Disney media. My take is Newbies opinions have been welcomed by most and appears that there is an interest in new members by the continuation of the Monthly Membership Report Thread.
    Growing membership can only help Lou's pursuit of increased sales of his books, validity of this site (the more members on the site the more sponsors and revenue it can create) along with the charitable foundations. http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...-february.html DWT is a Newbie Site considering how long other sites have been in existence. DWT books are also Newbie's in a vast market of Disney related material out there, yet Lou found a great niche in that market and is to be congratulated for his success. That success is due in part to Newbies purchasing those books and becoming involved in this forum.

    I respect the editorial on Jim Hill. He is an odd character. He is really hit or miss, he sure misses on some movies. Yet he hit it on the head with the 2008 Dining Plan and the difficulties Disney Employees were having with DP Guests who signed up for the plan prior to the revisions were announced and walked into WDW without being advised to the changes. I have the Walt Disney Company 2007 Annual Report sitting on my table. Some of Hill's editorial comments/rumors were right on, others miss the mark. Hill like this forum and any other venue for Disney Informational sources are often based on Rumors. Some come true, some do not. Hill's little niche is his somewhat dark yet colorful coverage of Disney. Hill tends to raise blood-pressures and create discussion resulting in his success, his own niche in the vast Disney market. While I may own two or three grains of sand in Disney and be a Newbie to this site I can't say the Newbie status makes me any less knowledgeable about Disney as a whole or to Mr. Hill.
    Haunted Gabe -

    Um, interesting correlation you made to my comment. You seem to be taking my comment a little too extreme and/or personal. Why are you assuming my comment was a personal attack on you or on newbies in general? Quite frankly, I really don't know you that well to comment on you. You appear to me to be reading way too much into my comment as I was referring specifically to a few posts that I have seen on DWT where my comment was true. I didn't feel the need to dig up the examples, as it wasn't important. I never meant to imply that newbies aren't valuable or aren't an asset to DWT or any other Disney online community. I apologize if that is how it came across to you as that was not my intention. Text based forums make tone/intentions/implications hard to perceive at times.

    Clearly, you don't know me very well as I do enjoy and welcome newbies here and on other Disney online communities I am an active member. I especially love new members who come in with thought provoking conversation and a very healthy interest in the games here. I'm also a supporter of Lou or I wouldn't have been involved in the Dream Team at all in the past nor the future nor would have I continued to be an active member here.

    So really, there is no need to "defend" newbies to me as I wasn't attacking them. If you have a problem with my post(s), please feel free to contact a moderator and/or PM me directly.

    You are entitled to your opinion on Jim Hill, as I am. Neither is right or wrong. I'm not the only here with a similar opinion/regard for Jim Hill.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...


  9. #9
    coasterfreak516 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Buckeye, AZ
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by DAR View Post
    Plus the you can guarantee that he'll have some story about how the next Pixar release will be a failure. Every year it seems he has one.
    He co-hosts(for a lack of better term) on Magical Definition Podcast and he talked about an "awful" early cut of Finding Nemo as well as political views towards Wall-E. He didn't directly slam Wall-E but we shall see this Summer. As for Jim Hill being "inaccurate" it happens with rumors which half will likely be true to begin with. I think his views on the past are good but the rumors, I have no opinion on because until the rumors are confirmed are just that, rumors with perhaps a shred of truth.

  10. #10
    harra's Avatar
    harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mustang, OK
    Posts
    372
    For those of you that are techno-geeks like myself and spend alot of time listening to Tech Podcasts or reading tech journals will understand this analogy:

    Jim Hill is to Disney Forecasting as John C. Dvorak is to Technology Forecasting.

    Both guys are curmudeonly and crotchety and seem to make off-the-wall reports leaning toward the negative. But, that is what we all seem to focus on and miss the times they are right.

    But, even a blind squirrel will eventually find a nut....haha

    I personally read them for the same reasons I read the Movie Spoilers/Rumors. I know it may not be true, but it makes for interesting conversation...
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

  11. #11
    mattj4226's Avatar
    mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Brookhaven, MS
    Posts
    877
    Ok, I'm a political nut so I'm going to ask if this is a correct assumption.

    Is Jim Hill kind of like the Rush Limbaugh or Al Fraken of Disney news?
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/


    2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

    Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

  12. #12
    harra's Avatar
    harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mustang, OK
    Posts
    372
    mattj4226,

    I have listened to both of those Political "commentators" and I wouldn't say that Jim Hill is a good comparison to them. I don't even think there is a political commentator that compares.

    Now if he spent all his time talking about how [Insert name of Disney Competitor] is doing a terrible job, them maybe he'd compare
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •