Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Disney Links Discuss Lets Be Sad.. :( (20K) in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Two more things, people: 1. The Extinct Attractions Club are releasing a 20K DVD soon, with Pete Reneday, who voiced Nemo, Bob Gurr who oversaw the fleet construction, and among ...
    20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    Two more things, people:

1. The Extinct Attractions Club are releasing a 20K DVD soon, with Pete Reneday, who voiced Nemo, Bob Gurr who oversaw the fleet construction, and among others, Rich Alsmiller, one of the premier 20K fans. So it should be good.

2. I've started the planning for a 20K history book. I'm aiming at this stage to try and set up interviews with most of the guys who brought it together, as well as castmembers from the '70s, 80s and hopefully I'll be able to track down some of the CMs who were there on closing day.

It won't be in an interview format of course. It will follow from the movie in 1954 to the Submarine Voyage (Disneyland) in 1959 and eventually Walt Disney World. In addition to its history, there will be an additional chapter covering 2004's demolition and the new occupant. But discussion of the new occupant will be VERY, VERY BRIEF!

However, I'd love to have some memories from guests though. If there's anything sticking out in your mind that you'd like to contribute, or if you are interested in more information, please email me at UDTGuy@gmail.com
    Last edited by 20K; 08-21-2005 at 09:06 AM.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

BelleGurl is offline LETS BRING IN 2006!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 20K
    BelleGurl: The subs are fortunately no longer rotting, they got scrapped mid-2004.

I'm trying to find out if that is better or not...
    Izzy

Tampa is offline No longer in service
    scrapped =

Quote Originally Posted by BelleGurl
    I'm trying to find out if that is better or not...
    It's odd, I know. The way I see it, they were on their way out anyway. It was bleedingly obvious that Disney wasn't going to be doing anything with them, and for years, Disney had denied anyone taking them off of property.

That of course changed at the millenium, when Disney removed the portholes and seats. Some were sold at Epcot, others were sold online as part of the 100th. It was at this time that the Disney surplus people set their sights on the subs, with MouseSurplus eventually getting Disney to sign-off on the fleet. They then removed the sail bubbles, a few portholes, panels and plating. Disney then turned the remaining portholes into the 'Piece of history pins'.

They're better off gone than being picked apart.

EDIT - I'm speaking generally here. The subs weren't scrapped. After MouseSurplus finished with them, they were crushed into blocks, packed into enviromental containers (That green paint was as toxic as it was cool) and buried in the Disney landfill.
    Last edited by 20K; 08-21-2005 at 02:44 PM.

- Walt Disney

I see...Yeah they're probably better off...dead.
    Izzy

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa
    scrapped =

AHHHHH!!! MY EYES!!!.....My, oh ,my Joey. You've blinded me for eternity...
    Izzy

Tampa is offline No longer in service
    I dunno.. those bricks of metal look to be about a cool 5 grand total.. look at it as a diamond.

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    Hey I have been reading some what on why they actually got rid of this ride and I don't fully get it. I mean beside the long wait because I do remember the first time I rode this ride and at that time it was 1977 so it was about 6 years old it was a very long wait. They said or tell me if I'm wrong that it was hard to maintain because of the water. I'm not really getting the point of closing the ride. I mean come on it wasn't because of lack of people not riding it and if it was a water thing that can't be it either because you have the Jungle Cruise and Splash Mountain now and they are both water rides. I don't know I just don't get the whole closing of this popular ride. I know it was slow moving and all but couldn't with today technology couldn't they do something or is it more of how much merchandise they can sell at the parks. I don't get it.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

Yeah, the idea of closing a popular attraction because of its wait time is pretty ridiculous, that shows that they are desperate for decent excuses

The water argument, as much as you throw at it, is hard to fight off. Think about it: In all, lagoon showbuilding and drydock/sub store, there is 11.5 million gallons of water. However, this has to be clear and fresh, and heavily chlorinated so that the guests could look out into the attraction. There would be nothing if nobody could see. The argument of Jungle, while being the same size if not bigger can't really compare, as the water is simply piped in and requires no extra treatment.

Today's technology could have worked wonders on the attraction, and I always hoped the rumour that 20K would be revamped and opened for WDW's 25th would come true. The submarines could benefit from modern marine engineering, to limit the amount of work done annually on them, and the animatronics (Although they were actually air-powered) could be improved and made more reliable. And with modifications to the submarine's seating plan and the hatch areas, the disabled would just as easily be able to enjoy the ride.

And of course, due to its nature, 20K would require divers to be kept permanently on staff, or contracted from outside, in order to clean and repair the show scenes. Now if you begin to tally-up how much diving costs for sport, let alone commercially, you would need to set aside a pretty decent chunk of cash. Diving in the attraction. Now that's one inland commercial diving job I'd KILL for!

The merchandise issue is an interesting one, as that could help the attraction look better in the eyes of executives. They could easily, if we imagine 20K is under construction today, sell the movie on DVD and VHS, market the soundtrack (Which has never officially been released), and of course you have the very lucrative pin market. Of course, barring cheap tie-in toys, that's about the limit of 20K's marketability. so I believe that if it was to exist again, be it in Hong Kong or India, or wherever, Ariel's Grotto should be included on the lagoon's west side, as in Florida. You could also sell generic toy sealife, the rubber type that costs the companies nothing. That way, you can combine the shop, and sell Little Mermaid stuff as well.

20K was, however you look at it, the victim of an inside move, and its sad that the paying guests took the hit from it.
    Last edited by 20K; 08-22-2005 at 11:04 AM.

- Walt Disney

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234