Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disney Meets Discuss Mousefest woes in the Vacation Planning forums; I made it to two days of Mousfest in 2005. I made it to four days of Mousefest in 2006. This year... I'll be lucky if I make it to ...
    MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!

Mousefest woes

I made it to two days of Mousfest in 2005. I made it to four days of Mousefest in 2006. This year... I'll be lucky if I make it to even one.

The Mousefest land portion this year runs through Thursday 12/6 through Monday 12/10. Well, my first obstacle is my work schedule. The problem here is that I don't know it. Our work week runs from Thursday through Wednesday (why?... I have no idea.), and as such, I'm likely not going to know whether or not I have to work on the days of Mousefest until the 5th... maybe the 4th if my manager is actually on top of the schedule that week. This means I cannot make ANY plans in advance. Grrr!!!

Second obstacle... my flight schedule. I have a normal flight schedule of Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. While the Tuesday wont effect anything, and flying Thursday would be a minor conflict, the Saturday could be another really annoying obstacle, especially because it's right smack in the middle of the Mega Mouse Meet. If it happens that I have Saturday off from work, but can't go because I'm on the flight schedule, I think I'll cry.

And last obstacle, even if by some chance I can make it for an evening, or even a full day, and find myself with the time to maybe spend part of the next morning (or if I'm really lucky... a full second day), then I have the problem of where do I stay? I've already checked my usual off property low-budget hotel, and it has no rooms available except for on Thursday night. And I just plain can't afford to stay on property without my girlfriend's CM discount, and she wont be down in Florida for that time this year.

Maybe these are all signs I'm not supposed to go this year?
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    Are you kidding crazy young man?!!!!
    Of course you are supposed to go! So am I, even if the flights are $200 each way plus tickets, food and hotel.
    I think Rachel is going to go by herself. That means there is an extra bunk in her room. I am sure she wouldn't mind if you stayed with her. Or, Miss Meg for that matter. Even if you couldn't be there on Saturday (there's no crying at Disney World, Don) it would so be worth it to go the other days! Hello!
    Think outside the box. It will work.
    Hey! What about Diz and his family? Where are they staying?
    Dreams Really Do Come True

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    So... no chance of flying yourself over and just parachuting down into the MK for TriviaFest?

I REALLY hope you can make it this year, and hope to see you there, buddy!!!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

flutter is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinderella2 View Post
    Are you kidding crazy young man?!!!!
    Of course you are supposed to go! So am I, even if the flights are $200 each way plus tickets, food and hotel.
    I think Rachel is going to go by herself. That means there is an extra bunk in her room. I am sure she wouldn't mind if you stayed with her. Or, Miss Meg for that matter. Even if you couldn't be there on Saturday (there's no crying at Disney World, Don) it would so be worth it to go the other days! Hello!
    Think outside the box. It will work.
    Hey! What about Diz and his family? Where are they staying?
    since Rachel won't be there for Mousefest that won't work for him.....but I'm sure we can find someone for him to crash with for a night

megreader2003 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Hey Don.... I'm heading down alone this year. Bea is not able to make it. Not that it matters, I am staying at Pop.

PM me and we will figure it out. Unless you get a better offer (and I won't be offended if you do).

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    See. There you go. Now you have no excuse not to go.
    Dreams Really Do Come True

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Don, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you in hopes that all the pieces fall into place and you're able to attend the meet.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Thanks everyone for the offers, but I wasn't just trying to beg a place to stay. I'm actually most concerned about whether or not I'm going to be able to get any time off to get down there. Like I said, I'm not likely to know my work schedule until just a day or two before the land portion of Mousefest begins, making any planning VERY much a last minute thing. Only once I know what days I can make it, if any, can I start to worry about whether or not I'll even need a place to stay.

And of course, I still have to fit my flight schedule into all that too. And speaking of which...
    Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10 View Post
    So... no chance of flying yourself over and just parachuting down into the MK for TriviaFest?
    Yeah, I can imagine how well that would work out... trying to abandon a pilot-less plane somewhere over the middle of Bay Lake. I'm suddenly picturing a remake of that Tom Hanks movie, Castaway, only featuring yours truly as the lone inhabitant of a deserted (Discovery) Island, doing my own dental work and talking to a volleyball named Mickey. At least I'd have my trivia books to help me pass the time.

But no, I'm not giving up hope yet. Even if I do only get to come down for half a day or something, I'll do whatever I can to at least make an appearance at some point. If I can make it to only one meet, I'm REALLY hoping I get to at least make it for the DWT Family Reunion on Saturday night. That's the one I'm really pulling for. Maybe I can beg my manager at work to at least put together my schedule a few days in advance so that I can try to plan around it. That will be a BIG help.
    -Don-

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    I hope you end up getting to come Don! :-)
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

Well, the work schedule is in...

And the good news is that I will be able to make it to at least one day. I will be at Mousefest on Sunday at the very least, and I'm still hoping to try to be able to wrangle another day or a couple of half-days or something, but we'll see how that plays out over the next day or so as I see my flight schedule for Thursday and Saturday. Here's what I'm looking at so far:

Thursday - I have it off from work, but I will likely have a flight obligation around mid-day or early afternoon. There is little point in coming down afterwards however, because that night is the MVMCP night, and I cannot spring for the ticket to that this year unfortunately. That was a sacrifice I made when I decided to see MNSSHP in October instead. So if there are any of you fellow Mousefester's not attending the Xmas party and looking for company, then maybe I can justify an evening jaunt to the World, but otherwise, not likely.

Friday - I could technically make it in the morning and stay til around 2pm, because I have to get back to Daytona for work Friday evening. I'm not quite sure if this half-day thing is a practical move though, and I will probably think on it a little longer before deciding. If I were going down Thursday evening and staying in the area overnight (if I can find cheap accommodations) then I would definitely plan to be around Friday morning, but otherwise, I'm kind of leaning towards not driving down in the morning only to come back around mid-day. That's a lot of driving (and gas $$) for only a couple hours of play.

Saturday - Just like friday, I'm free in the morning, but working in the evening. I'm also possibly flying in the afternoon. However because I will be working very late on Friday night, there is no way I will be able to get up early the following day, drive in to Disney for just a few hours, and get back home again by mid-day. So Saturday is a complete no-show for me at Mousefest. Sadly, this was the day I was most hoping to make... now I'm missing some of my favorite meets, including the Mega Mouse Meet, AND the one I was most looking forward to, the DWT Family Reunion.

Sunday - Ok, this day is MINE!!! I'm not giving it up to anyone! I'm not working that day, and I'm not obligated to leave my Sundays open to be scheduled to fly. I'm going to Mousefest - hopefully all day - and no one better try to get in my way! You can count on seeing me at as many meets as I can possibly get to, especially the DWT-related ones, such as Lou and Jeff's DSI, and of course TriviaFest.

Monday - This is another day that I have half-free. Actually, as I don't have to go into work until 5:15, I can actually spend most of the day at Mousefest, but again it's a matter of is "it worth the drive down and back two days in a row?" Again, this is likely going to be a day I attend only if I can find cheap accommodations in the area.

So that's what I'm looking at so far for Mousefest this year. I will come back and keep this updated as things change and I make decisions. I'm glad I will be able to make at least one day though, and I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible while I'm there. So to quote the coolest cartoon mouse of all time, "See ya' real soon!"
    -Don-

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    It nothing else, you'll have Sunday to enjoy Mousefest. I come into the Orlando airport just as everyone has left or is leaving.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Glad to hear you'll make a little of it, Don!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    I suggest you go down Sunday morning. Pack a sleeping bag and beg floor space in somebody's room. Surely somebody won't mind you crashing on their floor for just one night. If I were going to be there I would let you crash on mine, but some of us have to work for a living.

Actually, I was able to get a relatively cheap hotel room just outside Disney. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend, but I really don't like feeling like a mooch either, so I'm much happier paying my own way than bumming a bit of floor in someone's room for a night. So yes, I am going down on Sunday morning, staying the night in the area, and spending about half of Monday at Disney as well before heading home around mid afternoon for work that evening.

Oh... and my gosh darn (not really the words I used when I first discovered this) flight instructor already tried to put me on the flight schedule for the middle of Sunday afternoon, which I specifically told him on Thursday I was going to be out of town for. It's outside of my normal flight block (a certain minimal block of time I have to allocate each week to fly, regardless of whether or not I end up using it to do so), so I am not obligated to fly on that day. Therefore, it shouldn't be a problem getting it rescheduled, but it's still frustrating that the guy can't remember on Friday something that I just told him on Thursday.

One way or another... I'll be there.
    -Don-

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    Glad to see your going Don!
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast