Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Disney Meets Discuss Alone at Disney in the Vacation Planning forums; I am soooo bummed! My best friend and I have reservations for 2 weeks at the end of July but now she can't go. None of our other friends understand ...
    kltbump is offline A-Ticket holder

Alone at Disney

I am soooo bummed! My best friend and I have reservations for 2 weeks at the end of July but now she can't go. None of our other friends understand my Disney obsession lol. My question is...should I cancel? I'm afraid of feeling down and lonely and ruining my vacation. Disney is so magical I don't want to remember it any way but fondly. Any suggestions or advice?

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    I've never been on a vacation alone, but I do know there are people who travel to Disney alone. Sometimes they meet up with others for dinner and rides. As for whether you should cancel or not, that's up to you. Sorry, I can't be of much help.

Try checking out this page on All Ears:
    http://allearsnet.com/pl/solo.htm

It did mention a good idea. Try a day trip close to home by yourself and see how you like it.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    If you usually don't mind going solo, I would say go for it if you have saved the money, have the time, etc.

If you are not used to doing things by yourself, maybe postpone the trip until your friend can make it. Or, take me!!!!
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    unless maybe you can get a family member or a coworker or somebody you know from a club or activity your involved in

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Alone = means you can do what you want; when you want. Unless you are very shy you can have a ball talking to the CM's or other guests at the resorts, parks, restaurants, etc. My DW would love it if I went to WDW alone!
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    I've done the solo WDW trip and will be doing it again in May. It was wonderful! The freedom to go where I wanted, when I wanted was unbelievable, and there was never a shortage of people to talk to. I took some behind-the-scenes tours that I wouldn't have been able to do with my family along, and got to eat in restaurants that didn't serve chicken nuggets.

A summary of my strategy: tour in the morning, grab a lunch at a counter-service restaurant (it ended up most days I got invited to eat with some of the other members of the morning's tour), a quick break in the afternoon to freshen up and call home, and then dinner. On my way out of the parks in the evening, I'd stop at a bakery (the Main St. one in MK was great for this) and buy breakfast for the morning. Then I'd linger until most of the crowds were gone before heading to the buses back to the resort.

Dining alone is probably the most awkward part, but the servers were fun to chat with. One night I ate at Kona Cafe, and it was so nice to be able to concentrate on the delicious food. Another night I dined at Teppanyaki in Japan, which seats everybody 8 to a table. I was between a party of 3 and a party of 4, and between 'what have you done so far' and park tips, there was no shortage of conversation.

This year, I've made some new friends here at DWT.com, and I'm really looking forward to meeting some of them at WDW. I bet if you hang around here a bit, you'll find others who will also be there (plus a few who are lucky enough to work at WDW or live really close by).
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    i'd go alone if the opportunity presented itself.

a solo trip is better then no trip at all.

tiggerguy is offline All Around Good Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by kltbump
    I am soooo bummed! My best friend and I have reservations for 2 weeks at the end of July but now she can't go. None of our other friends understand my Disney obsession lol. My question is...should I cancel? I'm afraid of feeling down and lonely and ruining my vacation. Disney is so magical I don't want to remember it any way but fondly. Any suggestions or advice?
    I go solo all the time and have great fun! I also have written an article about it and it appears in the MAP section of the forum. You can access it from the main forum page.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    I am a season pass holder and make day trips to WDW about every 2 or 3 weeks (I can justify this because i attend college only a little over an hour's drive away). I convinced a friend of mine to get a pass as well so that I wouldn't have to go solo all the time, but there are still times when I have the day off and decide to go and he cannot make it with me.

I find that a solo trip is fun in many ways. I enjoy being able to do exactly what I want, when i want, with no compromise or beggind and pleading (my friend is really stubborn about some rides, and will not do Space Mountain, Stich's Great Escape, and even sometimes puts up a good fight to get him on the Haunted Mansion). It also makes it faster and easier to navigate crowds and lines (especially if you can find a single-rider line... I know Universal Studios uses those, but I haven't seen any at WDW. I have seen a sign for one INSIDE the queue for Space Mtn, but I didn't see the entrance from the outside, so maybe it's something in the works as we speak).

On the other hand though, I don't think I would want to be alone for anything longer than a day or two. I certainly wouldn't go on vacation by myself. I'm too much of a social people-person to spend too much time "doing my own thing". And besides, at WDW, there's too much magic to experience it all yourself. Some of the best fun you can have there is had by sharing your experiences with family, friends, and other loved ones.

My recommendation is that if you're planning on going for a day or two, or maybe even three, try flying solo just for the experience. If you're going for longer than that, see if you can get someone to meet you there for at least part of your vacation. If you can't find anyone for that time, maybe you can move your trip to another time. (My pass has blockout dates during most of the summer, but I can see ya there by the end of August, haha.)
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

WDW Donna is offline Much too far from the Magic :(
    If you are outgoing and don't mind chatting with strangers then by all means take the vacation. There will always be someone to talk to while in line for rides. I used to go all the time on my own when I was a CM there and I loved it. I love people watching and just having time to myself to stroll and see and do what I want. Since you are going in July it will be pretty busy and the CM's will be wanting to fill up rides so chances are you can jump a lot of lines when a CM calls for any single riders.

EpcoT International Program June 21-January 21 1991
    Resorts we have tried;
    Yacht and Beach Club (our wedding)-1994
    All Star Movies -2004
    All Star Sports - 2006
    All Star Music Resort - 2008
    Coronado Springs -2009

yensid1071 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I took a solo trip a couple years ago and had a GREAT time!! It was a trip of only 3 days, but still a lot of fun. As mentioned, you can do what you want, when you want and even do a lot of people watching. I talked to a few CMs and other guests at the time. It's always interesting to hear what other people think of the parks and to exchange thoughts/tips with them! And... is it too late to put my name on the list of people to fill in for your friend?

MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle
    If you do decide to come, my family and I would love to meet up with you! we live locally and could spend 4 or 5 days with you if you wnat. (it is me, my husband and my dd) She and I are both disabled, but we are pretty good at navigating the parks.
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    I have been solo one time before (Feb. 2004) for book research (remember those 3000 pictures that never made it in?), and am going solo again next month. I agree that there are certain benefits to going alone (e.g. riding the HM 5 times in a row with no fear of anyone complaining/laughing). I was able to do what I wanted/needed to do (some boring things for the non-research person), and still had fun. Did I miss sharing certain things? Sure. But I also was able to dine with newfound friends if I chose to, and still had a good (albeit tiring) time. This time, I hope to be able to meet up with some fellow DWT "Triviateers", so if you're goin gto be there from April 14-18, let me know and we can exchange numbers and try and meet up sometime!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    The spring block-out dates on my pass are up after April 1st, so if I can arrange some time away from school for a bit, I could maybe go hit up WDW for a day or two during that 14th-18th period. I'll look into it right away.

It would be an honor to meet up with the legendary DWT.com founder!
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

Summer Sun is offline Wishing a certain someone would take me to Neverland
    I will probably be there on the 17th and have been going by myself for the past 2 years and the only thing I havent gotten used to is eating by myself. If you want to meet PM me I should be there from Opening until 6pm
    Walt Disney World
    Where Dreams Come True
    Celebrating 35 Years
    Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast