Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disney Meets Discuss Magic Meets 2009 dates announced in the Vacation Planning forums; Fresh off the Magic Meets site: MagicMeets™ 2009 Friday through Sunday, August 7 – 9, 2009...
    tacey is offline D-Ticket Holder

Magic Meets 2009 dates announced

Fresh off the Magic Meets site:

MagicMeets™ 2009
    Friday through Sunday,
    August 7 – 9, 2009

Proud Member of the Deck 7 Cool Kids!

That may be a bad time for me.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    I think I'm going to try to go this year. I've never gone and have always wanted to but wasn't sure what it was like. After hearing some reviews of this year's festivities I think I may be having to make time for it. I see this as a great weekend bonding trip for my mother and I... although my husband and son may not see it that way. LOL!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    I wonder if they chose to move it to August in response to Paul Barrie planning a meet on the West Coast in July? If they hadn't moved it, then there would've been two meets within a week or so of each other
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    Kind of on the teeter-taughter about going. That's a family members birthday that weekend

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Quote Originally Posted by harra View Post
    I wonder if they chose to move it to August in response to Paul Barrie planning a meet on the West Coast in July? If they hadn't moved it, then there would've been two meets within a week or so of each other
    In the past, MagicMeets has been the same weekend as the big NFFC convention in DisneyLand, which made it hard for some of the community to attend.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Majestic is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Pat is correct. The ONLY reason I had overlapped with the NFFC meet is because those were the dates that the convention center had available for me. I had promised that I would move to August one year to avoid the conflict. 2009 will be that year. The biggest problem is that now we are on a different weekend, it opens the date up to even more people being able to attend that couldn't attend in the past due to the conflict. We sold out in 38 hours this year. I'm afraid to see what happens for next year.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post
    In the past, MagicMeets has been the same weekend as the big NFFC convention in DisneyLand, which made it hard for some of the community to attend.
    Fred Block
    MagicMeets.com Founder and Senior Event Coordinator

http://www.magicmeets.com

Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post
    Since the NFCC never has interested me, it completely slipped my mind that it was also around the same time of MagicMeets.

I guess it works out for many reasons now. It allows NFCC attendees to come and allows people who want to go to Disneyland for Paul's meet and want to go to magic meets (and have the financial means) to do both. Me and Nancy are one of those groups of people.

The only wrinkle is that it may prevent us from doing MagicMeets AND take our annual trip with the Devine family. I doubt work will let me take that much time off in August...LOL
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

piwackitt is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by harra View Post
    Um...I'm sorry, but I don't think Fred needs to worry about competing with a Paul Barrie meet.

Quote Originally Posted by piwackitt View Post
    Um...I'm sorry, but I don't think Fred needs to worry about competing with a Paul Barrie meet.
    I believe that comment was unwarranted.....

And this belief that there is competition between one meet to another is what causes a lot of unneeded animosity.

The more meets the merrier. Not everyone can attend a meet at a specific time. So when two meets fall close together or at the same time (such as NFCC and MagicMeets), it really limits people options.

Remember these meets are for us. So I'm glad Paul is doing one for Disneyland.
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Now, now, there is enough room in the sandbox for everyone.

As the internet and the Disney Fan Community continues to expand, there are going to be more groups who hold their own meets. That's great - it means more chances for more people to share their common interests. And since each community has its own 'flavor' for lack of a better word, it means more people will find a group they have something in common with. Plus not everyone can afford to travel cross country, or even cross state, so if someone wants to have a local meet, more power to them!

Fred has certainly set a very high bar for those who wish to follow. After attending 4 of the 5 MagicMeets, I can certainly say they only get better, and next year will definitely be something to look forward to!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

---
    Last edited by piwackitt; 08-11-2008 at 10:17 PM. Reason: multiple post

Please forgive me if that sounded harsh.

But to think that Fred, who has successfully orchestrated MM for 5 years now, had to move his meet to another month to make way for a new meet, made me chuckle.

tiggerguy is offline As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
    Pat is correct. The ONLY reason I had overlapped with the NFFC meet is because those were the dates that the convention center had available for me. I had promised that I would move to August one year to avoid the conflict. 2009 will be that year. The biggest problem is that now we are on a different weekend, it opens the date up to even more people being able to attend that couldn't attend in the past due to the conflict. We sold out in 38 hours this year. I'm afraid to see what happens for next year.

Fred
    Earlier tonight I predicted the 2009 meet would sell out in 10 hours
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Hmm...I'm not sure about next year yet. That's prime time for vacations at work and I'm still low woman on the totem pole, so we'll see...
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast