Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Disney Meets Discuss 6/4/09 -Cashing in on my free B-day stuff... in the Vacation Planning forums; Originally Posted by MainStreet, USA Here's an idea... what do you think of this one? How about heading to DAK for the day? It was my second choice park for ...
    mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

Re: 6/4/09 -Cashing in on my free B-day stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by MainStreet, USA View Post

Here's an idea... what do you think of this one?

How about heading to DAK for the day? It was my second choice park for the day anyway, and it closes early (5pm), and there is no fireworks, so we don't have to feel like we are missing anything if we leave early.

We can then head somewhere fun for dinner. I was thinking maybe Boma to stick with the day's theme, but I was kind of hoping for something a bit more lively and interactive and entertaining... something a la Whispering Canyon or 50s Prime Time. But one of my guests was just at WC with me a few weeks ago, and 50's PT requires a park hopper which some of my guests probably wont want to buy. Any suggestions? I was also thinking that Beaches and Cream is always a fun place to eat, but with a group of potentially as many as 9 (although 5 is a more realistic number), getting a table in there during dinner time might prove tricky and a potentially long wait. Also... where would be the best place to park if that's where I was going? Beach Club perhaps? I'm used to just walking from EPCOT, and don't usually drive to eat there, but coming from DAK we would have to... unless I picked a different park of course.

We can end the night with a semi-"private" viewing of Wishes at 10:00 from the Poly... perhaps from the beach or Sunset Point. Only problem is that there is no music played there (or at least there wasn't as of the last time I viewed Wishes from Sunset. I did notice that they play the music at the monorail station at the TTC now, but I'm not watching from there, lol). Any suggestions on a kind of quiet, out of the way places to view Wishes from where you can still hear the soundtrack?

Then the only problem that remains is what do I do with my Birthday Fun Card? I know there is stuff to spend it on in DAK, but to be honest, there's nothing I can think of off the top of my head that I would really be all that interested in buying there. I was thinking that DtD would be my best bet for having options, and that MK would be my next. But I only have that one day to spend it, and I'm running out of ways to make it all fit. Of course, we could eat dinner at DtD, but the most fun and quasi-interactive place to eat there would be T-Rex, which I was just at recently with one of my friends who is going to be with me again on Thursday. Granted there is a lot of nice restaurants there with wonderful menu choices, but nothing quite on the same level of fun and hilarity I was hoping for.

Hmm... just when I was thinking I had it figured out, I realized that nope... I really didn't. Grrr!
    I think AK is a great choice. (Flame Tree for lunch????) For a more exciting dinner location, what about Ragland Road? WC would be a lot of fun too. I've never viewed fireworks from the Poly, so I don't know anything about that. We parked at the additional parking lot at the Boardwalk to go to Jellyrolls last weekend. Although it's not a lively venue, you can make dinner reservations at Yak and Yeti for very late...5PM. It's kinda cool to leave the park after it's closed and cm's are lined up along the path to make sure you LEAVE.

You have to pick up your fun card on the day of your birthday. There is a kiosk outside the entrance gate at each park. Fun cards DO NOT need to be used on your birthday. They can not be used for food. I picked my card up on the 9th and used it DtD on the following Monday. I bought some memorable items at the World of Disney and I feel like I really used my card well.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!

Ok, update time.

I think I have pretty much decided that DAK is going to be the park of choosing for the day. (Now nobody let me go changing that on myself!) Lunch at Flame Tree sounds like a pretty good choice to me.

We can be done with the park by late afternoon/early evening (park closes at 5), so we will have plenty of time to give us options for dinner. As for where to go to eat... well, uh... try not to laugh, but I think I've got it narrowed down to 9 choices (I know, right?). I feel like Lou when someone emails him a question on "Where do you recommend going to eat on our trip?" I think this is going to be decided when I call up the dining folks tomorrow and start finding out which options are not available because I waited too long. But at least it will take a lot of the decision making out of the picture.

I'm still thinking I would like to watch Wishes from the Poly, but I can possibly be swayed into something else depending on where we eat and at what time, etc. I have also looked into an evening at the River Roost Lounge at PO Riverside (Yeeha Bob Jackson's stomping grounds), which looks like it could be a good time. He is playing on the 4th at Port Orleans (according to his website I found after some poking around), and his show runs from 8:30 to midnight. Of course Wishes has to be at 10:00... right smack dab in the middle of his show, otherwise I would say we could see some of both.

As for any additional time we may have betten DAK and dinner and whatever time we call it quits for the night, I figure why overplan? Let's just wing those parts. Lord knows if I try to plan those details too, I'd be planning my June 4th trip until the 6th of July!

My guest list as it stands are myself and (probably) two coworkers (two I know for sure can't make it, and one is supposed to get back to me when she gets home tonight... but I'm pretty sure she's coming), and then you DWT... errr, I mean WDW Radio folks (I still can't get used to the new name!), so I'm thinking we're looking at a party of 3-5 during the day, and 6 for dinner and any after hours entertainment.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius

So... for those meeting up with you in the evening....

Where do we meet?

Sounds good.
    Since you aren't planning on having a cell phone, those not traveling with you (the WDW Radio group) need to know:
    Your estimated time of arrival to DAK and where to meet you at the front.
    Your estimated time for lunch at Flame Tree and where to meet you at FT.
    Will you be wearing a particular hat/shirt for easy recognition in a crowd?

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!

Ok, here's the latest. I just got off the phone with Disney Dining. None of my top ADR choices were available for a dinner tomorrow night, but I did manage to get one that was about two-thirds down on my list... I have a 5:00 ADR at Raglan Road for 6 adults. Now, seeing as another one of my considerations was Beaches and Cream, and that does not require an ADR, we can always opt to go there instead, as there is no cancellation restrictions for RR... I just have to give them a call and let them know I know longer need it. I'm perfectly content with either option. So I'm going to do my best to get in touch with as many of you guys as possible today, and I'll kind of take a vote. We'll go where the majority seems to be leaning. (Of course, there are an even number of us, and this is Florida... so we may need to do three or four votes and hang somebody named Chad before we can declare a winner.)
    -Don-

I prefer B&C over RR, but I'll go to either.

And just to make things difficult, I vote RR. It has a bigger menu, I think, and parking will be easier. I'm easy, however, and will go with the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by MainStreet, USA View Post
    Ok, here's the latest. I just got off the phone with Disney Dining. None of my top ADR choices were available for a dinner tomorrow night, but I did manage to get one that was about two-thirds down on my list... I have a 5:00 ADR at Raglan Road for 6 adults. Now, seeing as another one of my considerations was Beaches and Cream, and that does not require an ADR, we can always opt to go there instead, as there is no cancellation restrictions for RR... I just have to give them a call and let them know I know longer need it. I'm perfectly content with either option. So I'm going to do my best to get in touch with as many of you guys as possible today, and I'll kind of take a vote. We'll go where the majority seems to be leaning. (Of course, there are an even number of us, and this is Florida... so we may need to do three or four votes and hang somebody named Chad before we can declare a winner.)
    Thank goodness my nephew, Chad, doesn't arrive till next Thursday. I'd hate to send my niece and her two little girls back to WI without their dad.

Quote Originally Posted by mini-V View Post
    Thank goodness my nephew, Chad, doesn't arrive till next Thursday. I'd hate to send my niece and her two little girls back to WI without their dad.
    My sincerest apologies to your nephew for any confusion.
    Last edited by MainStreet, USA; 06-03-2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Never mind... I missed your first post before the Chad one. Got it now!
    -Don-

Nothing new here, but I'm confused. My email said there was an update, but doesn't show up on the forum. I think there have been two votes cast thus far; one for each restaurant. Tie breaker needed.

Well, the party has downsized to five, but on the upside, at least we no longer have the age restriction. So Jellyrolls is back as an after-hours possibility if we should decide to go with that (although I do have a 6:30am flight on Friday, so I can't stay too-too late). So since that is now back in the realm of possibility, and April's idea of Fantasia Gardens is also in that same neck of the woods, and the one person I am bringing with me doesn't seem to care one way or another where we eat, why don't we just go ahead and say that we'll eat dinner at B&C, and then spend our evening mini-golfing and hanging out on the boardwalk, and then possibly seeing what all this Jellyrolls hype is all about?

Anyone object?

If not, April, is 5:00 still a good time to meet you there?

V, I plan to be in DAK by park opening, but if you were looking for a meeting time that is perhaps a little closer to lunch time, why don't we say we will meet at noon, although since that is right at mid-day, we might be better off to meet someplace besides right in front of Flame Tree (which I'm sure will be swamped by that point). What about meeting out in front of the character meeting area just past Flame Tree, but just before the bridge to Dinoland? It should be far less crowded on that side of the road during lunch time. This way we can crab a meal that is not too late that it will ruin dinner, but not so early that you might as well have come for park opening anyway. Sound like a plan?

And I understand that the two of you have each other's numbers, so if anything changes throughout the day, you guys can get in touch with one another.
    -Don-

5:00 at Beaches & Cream it is.

You've never been to Jellyrolls? JR is great. You can get in at 7, music starts at 8, and there is a $10 cover. It's a lot of fun, though the temptation to stay until closing (2am) is really strong!

This may be a repeat, but I don't see my last post.

We will attempt to be at DAK by 9AM when they open. If we get a late start, please call us around 9:30 to let us know where to look for you.
    If we don't find you before noon, we'll be at the character area, near Flame Tree, but before the bridge to Dinoland.

DH has free mini-golf with his annual pass. A regular annual pass will get 50% off. I can get April and other person in for 50%.

I don't know if DH will join us at B&C, but I plan to be there. The weather may play a hand with our golf plans, but we'll see how it goes.

We won't be joining you all for Jellyrolls.

newdrama12 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Even though, I work at AK. I will meet y'all at Flame Tree around noon for lunch. Then maybe we can spend a few hours playing in the park as a group. I will be wearing a light grey shirt that says Jorrin Music on the front and blue jean shorts.

I was going to post earlier, but I just found out that I do indeed have tomorrow off.
    You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it requires people to make the dream a reality" - Walt Disney

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12