Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disney Meets Discuss 6/4/09 -Cashing in on my free B-day stuff... in the Vacation Planning forums; ...Anyone want to tag along? I'm not trying to make it a big thing, but I will be making a trip to the World on Thursday June 4th in order ...
    MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!

6/4/09 -Cashing in on my free B-day stuff...

...Anyone want to tag along?

I'm not trying to make it a big thing, but I will be making a trip to the World on Thursday June 4th in order to get my birthday freebies from this "What Will You Celebrate?" promotion. My only "birthday wish", if you will, is that I don't have to spend it alone. So... If you already know me, awesome. If not, don't worry... I don't bite (unless provoked), and I like making new friends.

I don't have the specifics on the where/when/what park worked out quite yet, as I still have a few weeks to figure out the deets (and I'm a fantastic procrastinator... one of the best actually), but I will DEFINITELY be partying with the Mouse in one form or another.

So come one, or come many - Thursday June the 4th 'Oh-Nine, Walt Disney World - and let's celebrate!
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

Disneynut57 is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: 6/4/09 -Cashing in on my free B-day stuff...

Well if its anything like two years ago he still wont know what park till about 2 days before going You know if me and mine can make it we will be there with on our faces.

Oh and for those of you that dont know he is a timely person so when he says he will be ready to go when the rope drops he is, so that means for those of us that always seem to have somthing making them late, we get left behind to try and search and find. Where is Don in the park

all in fun hope to be there it was a blast havign you there for mine

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneynut57 View Post
    Well if its anything like two years ago he still wont know what park till about 2 days before going You know if me and mine can make it we will be there with on our faces.

Oh and for those of you that dont know he is a timely person so when he says he will be ready to go when the rope drops he is, so that means for those of us that always seem to have somthing making them late, we get left behind to try and search and find. Where is Don in the park

all in fun hope to be there it was a blast havign you there for mine
    Sure... mock me for being where I said I will be at the time I said I would be there. Some people might find that admirable.

I couldn't function at my job without being punctual. My typical flight schedule might look something like this...

0615 Student #1 Check-in
    0645 Student #1 Engine start
    0833 Student #1 Due back
    0835 Student #2 Check-in
    0905 Student #2 Engine start
    1053 Student #2 Due back
    1055 Student #3 Check-in... and so on and so forth.

The whopping two minutes I am allotted between flights isn't much, so you learn to make certain you are back on time. Otherwise people start getting mad at you, and you end up in the boss's office signing a paper labeled "Operations Discrepancy" that says basically "Yup, I was late. Here's what actions need to be taken to be certain it never happens again."

Anywho... the reason I'm up in the air on a meeting time right now is due to the fact that I understand that just because I can make it to the park before it opens, that's not always practical for everyone else. I think it would be polite if I waited until I found out if there was someone who wanted to attend but wouldn't be able to make it until 1030 or so before saying "you need to be there at...". And you know as well as anyone that if we miss each other at the original rendezvous, I become extremely difficult to track down seeing as I don't own a cell phone.

And I'm unsettled on the park because MK is my absolute favorite, but as a result it's also the one I'm at the most often, and having a little variety is usually a good thing, so I'm keeping my options open. EPCOT has the best selection of dining options, and I do enjoy having options when it comes to food. Also, I still have not done ALL of the Kim Possible World Showcase missions yet, and those are a hoot! Hollywood Studios is someplace I just haven't been to in a while, and I still have yet to see Block Party Bash in its entirety, or anything at all of the American Idol Experience. Also, Fantasmic is being performed on that night, which I would love to see (it bothers me now that it is no longer an every night thing). As for Animal Kingdom, if it weren't for my last-minute "Oh look, I can make it to DAK after all!" this past Tuesday, that park would have been in the running as well, as I hadn't been there for quite some time as well. (Although I DO really want to see Finding Nemo again sometime soon, so maybe that option isn't entirely ruled out yet.) Darn it! I'm so indecisive when it comes to Disney parks!
    -Don-

Disneynut57 is offline Fastpass Holder

Well it was not my intention to mock but rather point out be on time unlike me and mine who seem to always run into problems in that area.

But you have this same park problem every year so maybe you need a "what part to visit" spinner to help you out, but the poor thing would probley endup on a line then what

Well at least I know your not saying to me come celebrate my birthday and then dump 13 teenage kids on me

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Can't make it that week, will not arrive until the following week, but have fun and happy birthday.

Well, I've met my goal. I officially have one confirmed guest attending with me for my birthday (and several others who are still kind of up in the air about attending). Now if I can get one more, I can say that I've exceeded my expectations! It's so easy to do if you set your goals low enough, lol!
    -Don-

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

You can count us in on your birthday celebration. We're open to any of the parks, though we probably won't make it to the rope drop. I'll try to keep on eye on this thread to see what park you finally choose and your basic time frame for being at various parts of the park. mini-v and dh.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius

Don, do any of your birthday plans include an evening meal/yee haw/jellyrolls/mini golf activities, if so I'm up for meeting you then!

No updates! Hmmmm. Me thinks Don is still having trouble deciding on a park. How about a dart board with each of the parks listed and blindfold?

Sorry guys. I don't get on here every day anymore, and after you don't visit for a few days, it doesn't show up under "new subscribed threads" in my userCP. So I didn't realize there had been any responses since my last visit.

Anyway, thanks for the interest. I'm still waiting to hear back from a few more co-workers I've invited (the new work schedule for this week isn't up until tomorrow I think), and once I know who and how many are willing and able to go, I'll be able to make a better decision as to where and what times.

Two of the people I'm waiting to hear back from were with me in March when I took them to MK, so I don't want to take them back there so soon. Another one I just invited last night has never been to Disney with me, and so if she can make it and the other two cannot, I'm thinking MK might be the place to be. I think that I'm sort of leaning towards DAK as my 2nd choice right now, but I'm still not quite sure. Also, if it turns out that some of my co-worker guests are unable to justify spending $75 to come visit a theme park with me for a day, we may decide to do a Typhoon Lagoon/Downtown Disney day instead, as that will be a cheaper option for the non-passholders in the group.

V, I know you sent me your # in a PM. Thanks, but I'm not sure if I will be able to get in contact with you after I leave my apartment in the morning because I don't have a cell phone and I hate to mooch off my friends, but maybe I can find a pay phone. Do they still make those things?

April, I would love for my plans to involve some sort of a dinner and/or evening entertainment (I've never been to Jellyrolls, but have heard such wonderful things), but there's a few problems with that too. One of which is that one of my invited guests is not yet 21, and Jellyrolls is a 21+ club. Of course, I don't know yet whether or not she's going to be there, so that problem might just solve itself... but I kind of hope it doesn't, as I really want her to come along. The other problem I'm having in the planning of nighttime fun-tertainment is that if we do a theme park such as MK, EPCOT, or Hollywood, I always have a hard time pulling myself away before Wishes/IllumiNations/Fantasmic. I was thinking however, that if we end up doing the low-budget version of the trip and not actually going into any of the theme parks, we can always watch Wishes from the beach of the Poly.

Gah! Can you see why I haven't made up my mind yet??? I don't think even a spinner or a dartboard can help me here! I want all of my invited guests to be able to come and for everyone to be able to do something they will enjoy, without having to spend a fortune (most of my invited guests do NOT have passes and would have to buy them). I would like to do something different than "standard theme park food" for either lunch or dinner, but I don't know where to go or how to work it into the schedule. I can give suggestions to other people all day long, and literally plan everyone else's vacations just fine. But when it comes to me trying to make a plan for one day only, I just get so carried away I can't make anything work! Help! I need suggestions!
    Last edited by MainStreet, USA; 06-01-2009 at 12:57 AM.
    -Don-

If April happens to be with you, then my problems of reaching you are solved since we have each other's cell phone number. (I'm impressed that you are a hold-out against cell phones.) If you plan a meal somewhere, maybe I can meet your party there rather than trying to find you in a park. My suggestion for the day is to do what YOU want to do. It is YOUR day afer all. Those that can join you, time or money-wise, will help enhance your celebration.

Quote Originally Posted by mini-V View Post
    If April happens to be with you, then my problems of reaching you are solved since we have each other's cell phone number. (I'm impressed that you are a hold-out against cell phones.) If you plan a meal somewhere, maybe I can meet your party there rather than trying to find you in a park. My suggestion for the day is to do what YOU want to do. It is YOUR day afer all. Those that can join you, time or money-wise, will help enhance your celebration.
    Originally I was a hold out against cell phones, but this past year I finally accepted the fact that yes... I do need one to keep up with life, especially work. I can't keep running across town back to my apartment every time I need to talk to one of my students. Now the only holdup is that I can't afford it. But I'm going to be moving in July, and when I do, rather than pay for a land line, I'm just going to make the transition to a cell phone and use that exclusively. I'm not thrilled about not having a land line and having to rely entirely on a cellular device, but I do need a cell for some things, and I can't afford both, so this is best way I've come up with.

I know that Thursday is MY day, and I do want it to be about what I want to do. The problem is that I go to Disney all the time, oftentimes by myself. I can do whatever I want to do any time. So on the rare occasions I do have guests with me... especially guests who are not as Disney park-knowledgeable, I want to do everything I can to show them a good time. So really, what I want to do for my birthday is to make sure my guests have the time of their lives. That in itself will make me happy on MY birthday.

Here's an idea... what do you think of this one?

How about heading to DAK for the day? It was my second choice park for the day anyway, and it closes early (5pm), and there is no fireworks, so we don't have to feel like we are missing anything if we leave early.

We can then head somewhere fun for dinner. I was thinking maybe Boma to stick with the day's theme, but I was kind of hoping for something a bit more lively and interactive and entertaining... something a la Whispering Canyon or 50s Prime Time. But one of my guests was just at WC with me a few weeks ago, and 50's PT requires a park hopper which some of my guests probably wont want to buy. Any suggestions? I was also thinking that Beaches and Cream is always a fun place to eat, but with a group of potentially as many as 9 (although 5 is a more realistic number), getting a table in there during dinner time might prove tricky and a potentially long wait. Also... where would be the best place to park if that's where I was going? Beach Club perhaps? I'm used to just walking from EPCOT, and don't usually drive to eat there, but coming from DAK we would have to... unless I picked a different park of course.

We can end the night with a semi-"private" viewing of Wishes at 10:00 from the Poly... perhaps from the beach or Sunset Point. Only problem is that there is no music played there (or at least there wasn't as of the last time I viewed Wishes from Sunset. I did notice that they play the music at the monorail station at the TTC now, but I'm not watching from there, lol). Any suggestions on a kind of quiet, out of the way places to view Wishes from where you can still hear the soundtrack?

Then the only problem that remains is what do I do with my Birthday Fun Card? I know there is stuff to spend it on in DAK, but to be honest, there's nothing I can think of off the top of my head that I would really be all that interested in buying there. I was thinking that DtD would be my best bet for having options, and that MK would be my next. But I only have that one day to spend it, and I'm running out of ways to make it all fit. Of course, we could eat dinner at DtD, but the most fun and quasi-interactive place to eat there would be T-Rex, which I was just at recently with one of my friends who is going to be with me again on Thursday. Granted there is a lot of nice restaurants there with wonderful menu choices, but nothing quite on the same level of fun and hilarity I was hoping for.

Hmm... just when I was thinking I had it figured out, I realized that nope... I really didn't. Grrr!
    -Don-

I thought the fun card didn't have to be used all on that day? I thought the only rule was you had to pick it up on your birthday.

If you have to use it all on your birthday... then dinner is on you! Problem solved. j/k

What about Yee Haw Bob? Is he playing that night and can you get in if you are under 21?

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    I thought the fun card didn't have to be used all on that day? I thought the only rule was you had to pick it up on your birthday.

If you have to use it all on your birthday... then dinner is on you! Problem solved. j/k

What about Yee Haw Bob? Is he playing that night and can you get in if you are under 21?
    I thought I had heard somewhere that the card was only good on your birthday, but now that I am looking through the Terms and Conditions and the FAQs, I don't see anything about when the card expires. However, it may not be used towards dining, which is kind of a bummer. But hmm... if I don't have to spend it all on my b-day, then there's one of my biggest problems solved right there. I don't care about shopping then, I'll do it on a day when I'm by myself so I don't have to hold up my guests.

*NOTE* I just did some "researching" and found two different web sites, one (a travel site) that said the card is only valid on the day it is was issued, the other (a forum) containing a post from someone who said that they were with a party that had two birthdays in January, both of which opted for the B-day fun card, and that neither one expired after that day, and that one of them still has a portion of their balance remaining to spend. This was as of last month when it was posted. So I'm still not sure which story to believe as truth, but I hope it's the latter one!

I've never seen Yee Haw Bob. All I know about him is only what I've heard on the WDW Radio, but I seem to remember hearing that his show was open to anyone, so I'm sure the over 21 rule does not apply here. It's definitely an idea to consider, and consider it I will.

I have been informed by my invited guests that I will know by sometime Tuesday (tomorrow) who is coming, and as soon as I know that I will put together a plan and try to make any necessary reservations. Once I have everything finalized, I'll let you guys know where we will be and at what times we are aiming to be there. Anyone who says that they can make it after that point will have to just tag along with what is already decided, and if we can't amend a dining reservation to accommodate them, well then they get to find their own food.

And just so I have this right, I should plan on including Virginia and DH to any plans or reservations I might make, and if any of them occur outside the parks during the evening hours, I should also include April. Does that sound accurate for everyone, because that's how I'm interpreting things so far.

Has anyone heard from Dusty (Disneynut57) regarding a followup on whether or not to expect he and his family?
    -Don-

Virginia just celebrated her birthday and I believe she got the fun card so she can tell you if it has to be used on that day. Since I highly doubt I'll be busy (grumble grumble grumble) count me in for whatever you do OUTSIDE of the parks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast