Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disney Meets Discuss Meeting Internet Disney Friends article in the Vacation Planning forums; Mike Scopa of MousePlanet.com wrote a terrific article on meeting new friends on Disney internet sites: http://www.mouseplanet.com/mike/ms050805.htm Mike, if you're lurking, great story! A lot of people on this site ...
    disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!

Meeting Internet Disney Friends article

Mike Scopa of MousePlanet.com wrote a terrific article on meeting new friends on Disney internet sites:
    http://www.mouseplanet.com/mike/ms050805.htm

Mike, if you're lurking, great story! A lot of people on this site can really relate to it!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    That is a grrreat article! Thanx for posting it.

I think Uncle Walt would be very happy. I try to talk to as many persons as I can while at WDW, or anyplace else for that matter, but that's probably because I am a shy person, like many actors and performers.

My DW is always commenting about how I have no fear of talking to strangers, except for the salespeople, or the missionaries, at the front door.

As for the Internet thing, I am really new to this, as DWT was the first place I really had the nerve to chat almost 1 year ago, even though I have had Internet access for 10 years or so. I always had the feeling that there were indeed a lot of scary people, who I would not want to ever meet, using chat rooms for whatever purpose. However, I have changed my mind--sort of. While I would like to meet as many members of DWT as possible, I am still a little wary of the "let's hang out" for a day or so thing. I guess I get that from my parents, who to this day still tell me not to trust anyone you don't know, and only trust the ones you do know very little. A chit chat at the parks, or maybe a meal, but no long term relationships for me. That's just the way I am.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Thanks for the link Pat.

I've been meeting internet people for....*gasp*...10 years now. And I find his article rings true of a lot of internet communities, both Disney and non-Disney.

ohmygod...has it really been 10 years? 2005-1995.....time is flying!
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    i'm hesitant on meeting internet people. did it once before and got burned.

not saying i wouldn't do it again, just have to wait for the scars to fade a bit.

MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle
    I love meeting Internet friends, sometimes it works great, sometimes it ****s, but there are a great many friends that I wouldn't have now if I hadn't tried in the first place. It still hurts when I get burned, but I have some amazing people I would never have known if not for the internet.
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDude

not saying i wouldn't do it again, just have to wait for the scars to fade a bit.
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Was she the tall blonde bombshell that turned out to be my Uncle Bruno, who just got out of prison?
    Last edited by Jiminy Cricket; 08-05-2005 at 02:52 PM.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy Cricket
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience, was she the tall blonde bombshell that turned out to be my Uncle Bruno, who just got out of prison?
    that would've been better.

a group of us wanted to get together so one of the crew, we'll call him X, stepped up and said, "hey, come down by me, i'll show you all a good time"

so, we all gathered from far and wide, even put two of the guys up in my house so we could ride down together. we all get to the hotel, meeting and greeting and having a good time, and X shows up. we have lunch, then X says he has to pick up his wife and that he'd be back. so, we wait for about 2 hours, he comes back, hangs out for 5 minutes then him and his wife leave............and we never hear from him again for the rest of the weekend.

we were expecting him to show us around, so we were left scratching our heads on what to do. we salvaged the remainder of the weekend and all made our way home.

once we got home, X and his wife were logged onto the site, waiting to ambush us. the two of them, in tandem, started a "forum assault" (for lack of better words) that you could not imagine. i got to the point which he could say what he wanted, doesn't bother me, if that's what he needed. well, when he realized he wasn't going to get under my skin anymore, he went after my wife, who joined me on the trip. i was mortified, she was completely upset. and, this guys wife was the worst. how can someone say such mean things after only meeting people for 5 minutes?

this was an individual that i respected, and had called a friend. not only did we talk on the forum, but we'd IM and call each other daily.

now, all i can say is that i will find the two of them, and i will settle up with them one of these days. it's not even about me, i can't let anyone talk to or about my wife or family like they did. and, i don't think i can ever forgive myself for exposing my wife to that.

so, that's my baggage, that's why i'm hesitant to meet internet people.

Goofygirl is offline Dream Team Wrap Party Alumni - 07,08,09 / Magic Meets Attendee 2005-2009
    Connecticut - 18 hours and 42 minutes away from MK
    Hey GD that's one heck of a story.....I would be leary if that had happened to me too.

I know a fiefighter who has been through 2 marriages and 1 relationship all with women he met on the Internet. One of them was a total nut case.....guess he couldn't tell what they were really like until too late. It's a pretty scary world out there for sure!
    Janet

Gawrsh! Hyuk!

Wow, that's a scary story. I can see now why you are gun-shy. I doubt that anyone here would be that way, but you never know--do you?

P.S. Uncle Bruno is going away again for a long, long time.
    Last edited by Jiminy Cricket; 08-05-2005 at 05:49 PM.

*Off Property

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDude

Grumpy,

I'll be the guy wearing the pink carnation sitting at the bar at Champps in Menlo Park Mall. Oh, and I'll also be sporting my DWT thong in case there are other guys there in pink carnations sitting alone at the bar.

Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Goofygirl is offline Dream Team Wrap Party Alumni - 07,08,09 / Magic Meets Attendee 2005-2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10
    Grumpy,

I'll be the guy wearing the pink carnation sitting at the bar at Champps in Menlo Park Mall. Oh, and I'll also be sporting my DWT thong in case there are other guys there in pink carnations sitting alone at the bar.
    Lou, Talk about a scary story........that's a visual that would scar me and never, never fade!!!!!
    Janet

Gawrsh! Hyuk!

tiggerguy is offline All Around Good Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofygirl
    Lou, Talk about a scary story........that's a visual that would scar me and never, never fade!!!!!
    It can't be worse than that thing we saw at Dorney Park! I still wake up with the cold sweats thinking about it
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Methinks Grumpydude has a marshmallow filling.
    They call me "Nana"

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerguy
    It can't be worse than that thing we saw at Dorney Park! I still wake up with the cold sweats thinking about it

BRIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY?!?! WHY?!?! WHY?!?!

That's it! Everyone who was in Dorney Park that day, Sunday...July 10, 2005...and I know who you all are. You are now OFFICIALLY BANNED from mentioning...that...that....collective visual memory we share. Nothing good comes of reminding one another about it. Sometimes somethings really are best laid to rest and never brought up....like...ever.

Now to figure out a way to erase it from my memory...
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

No fair, I had fogotten all about it until you guys reminded me.........
    Janet

Gawrsh! Hyuk!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast