Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Merchandise & Collectibles Discuss Disney Books in the Disneyana forums; I got a few gift cards to the book store this Christmas and I've been considering possibly getting a few Disney books with the gift cards I have but I'm ...
    Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder

Disney Books

I got a few gift cards to the book store this Christmas and I've been considering possibly getting a few Disney books with the gift cards I have but I'm not sure what to get. I already have a book about Walt and I'm aware of books such as the Unofficial Guide and Lou's book. What I'm interested in is a book on the history of the parks and attractions and how they came to be and what not. I can't seem to find any such book on the internet, as when I do a search I keep finding guidebooks and books on Walt. Are they any books about the parks, specifically the history of the parks?

If you know of any, please give me the book title and author. Thanks.

PlutoGirl is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorria View Post
    I got a few gift cards to the book store this Christmas and I've been considering possibly getting a few Disney books with the gift cards I have but I'm not sure what to get. I already have a book about Walt and I'm aware of books such as the Unofficial Guide and Lou's book. What I'm interested in is a book on the history of the parks and attractions and how they came to be and what not. I can't seem to find any such book on the internet, as when I do a search I keep finding guidebooks and books on Walt. Are they any books about the parks, specifically the history of the parks?

I haven't finished it yet, but

The Disney Mountains: Imagineering At Its Peak by Jason Surrell

is a good one so far!
    Disney Lover and Mom of 2 little guys (ages 4 and 2)
    Royal Plaza '84, P.O Fr. Qtr '93, Off-site Honeymoon 2003, Off-site 2007(first visit for boys), CR/FW Cabin January 2009, planning FW Cabin May 2010 now...

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorria View Post

First thing that come to mind are the "Imagineering Field Guide to..." series of books. Amazon.com: Imagineering Field Guide

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    Take a look around George and Andy's ImagiNerding blog (Imaginerding: Home of the Disney Geeks!). Their blog is entirely devoted to books about Disney. I'm sure you'll get some great ideas.
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

biblioadonis is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Ray--thanks for the shout-out!

Sorria--

Besides Lou's books, the single most important book is Walt Disney's Imagineering. It is from 1996, but it is the best overall look at Imagineering and the theme park development. You can still buy the paperback brand new.
    Imaginerding: Home of the Disney Geeks!: Daily Figment 96 - It's Beginning to Look...

The second title is Disney's Mountains by Jason Surrell. It just looks at all the Disney Mountains (From Matterhorn to Expedition Everest) but it is a great read.
    Imaginerding: Home of the Disney Geeks!: Daily Figment 62 - Book Review

Next, you should look at Since The World Began bu Jeff Kurtti. It looks at the first 25 years of WDW's history. It is a great overview.
    Imaginerding: Home of the Disney Geeks!: Daily Figment 121: Wishlist Redux!

After that, the Imagineering Field Guides (Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Animal Kingdom) are great, but they are guides and don't go into as much detail as I would like. You will still learn quite a bit, but it is sill a guide.

If you have any specific questions about books, just post it here or send me a PM.

Good luck and good reading!
    George
    http://www.imaginerding.com

Jeff did our logo...do you like it?

gigliowanananic is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I highly suggest The Complete Walt Disney World byJulie and Mike Neal. Great pics and a lot of info in a small book. I also love the Imagineering Field Guides.
    "There is a face beneath this mask but it is not me. I am no more that face than I am the muscles beneath it or the bones beneath them"-
    V

Another great title is Walt Disney's Epcot Center. It is a 1982 book about the construction of Epcot, but it is pretty amazing. We've done a mini-review at Imaginerding.

Imaginerding: We're Bringin' Nerdy Back!: Daily Figment 102 - Wish List, Part Deux
    George

Typo....sorry.
    Last edited by biblioadonis; 01-12-2008 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Typo
    George

Beaky is offline A-Ticket holder
    The other Jason Surrell books are amazing-the Pirates one and the Haunted Mansion one-both telling the history of both rides in every Disney park up to the movies. I can't recall the titles but I love both of them! Great books!!!

Beaky isn't just an assistant, he's a world traveler! Here he is studying the ruins of Pompeii!

Another good title is Realityland by David Koenig. It really looks at the people behind the scenes and the construction of the resort. It is very in-depth until the opening of the Disney-MGM Studios. It is one place where a lot of info is contained in one book.

Imaginerding: We're Bringin' Nerdy Back!: Book Review: Realityland by David Koenig
    George