Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Merchandise & Collectibles Discuss Watches Handmade on Main St? in the Disneyana forums; I am trying to surprise my husband for his birthday with a handmade watch from main st (I pray he does not read this but he is usually on other ...
    Beaky is offline A-Ticket holder

Watches Handmade on Main St?

I am trying to surprise my husband for his birthday with a handmade watch from main st (I pray he does not read this but he is usually on other boards) does anyone know if there is a way to call and order it or see it online or can you only go into the store on Main St and have it made? And do you know if they still do this at WDW or only Disneyland? We will be at WDW dfor 2 days prior to going on a cruise next month and I want to have it made for him but I can't figure out how to do it since he will be with me!!! (I am talking about the watches that the animators make while you wait) Thanks for any advice!!

Beaky isn't just an assistant, he's a world traveler! Here he is studying the ruins of Pompeii!

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I think Lou did a segment on one of his podcasts about this but I can't find which one it was now. I'll this up for now in case anyone else has more info. The Laughing Place has watches but probably not what your looking for. Disney Shopping: Watches - The LaughingPlace Store. Maybe you could call the main # for Disney and ask for guest services.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    I believe what you're talking about is only available at the land and not the world. I remember reading an article a year or so ago about this and the person reporting on their new watch had just returned from CA.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    I think Jenn is correct. I've never noticed the artist doing this in WDW's MK. I have seen it done in DL's MK. I know because my DH has taken photos of the process on our last DLR trip in 2004. It was neat watching it, and hopefully next time I can get one!

Good luck Beaky!
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

If you can find the date of the segment I would be sooo grateful!!!
    I am bummed because i think you are all right, they only do it at disneyland-and if that's the case i have no idea what to get him for his birthday! Any Disney-esque sentimental suggestions??

Beaky isn't just an assistant, he's a world traveler! Here he is studying the ruins of Pompeii!

I just called Disneyworld and they said they do it on every park and Downtown disney! I had to clarify with her and ask if they literally had an animator at every park doing that and she said yes! Main St at MK, art of disney at epcot, animation studios at studios, can't remembger AK and the art of disney in DTD!

So My plan is to go to MK and take my husband into the Main St store and have them make it right in front of him! I thought he would really like to watch the process (if they allow that) I want a goofy watch which I am sure they do...I am so excited now!!! 21 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's great news Beaky!!!

Did the person you contact by any chance tell you the hours they are available to do this?
    Amanda

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    I was thinking I was crazy for a moment, but I could have sworn I saw someone doing this in the shop on Main St. at MK. I remember they had a giant book with drawings in it that you could choose from over by the counter.
    Dreams Really Do Come True

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderella2 View Post
    I was thinking I was crazy for a moment, but I could have sworn I saw someone doing this in the shop on Main St. at MK. I remember they had a giant book with drawings in it that you could choose from over by the counter.
    I'm starting to think I'm going crazy but didn't Lou interview the watch maker on one of the podcasts. I'll still try to find it.

Yea!! I found the podcast I was thinking of, although I didn't have all the facts right. The podcast is show #24 from July 22,2007.....http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...22-2007-a.html
    he interviewed Jason Zucker (one of the artists) but he was at the shop in MGM called the Sunset Club Couture Shop, it's about 58 minutes into the podcast. Glad to know I haven't totally lost it

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella View Post
    I think Jenn is correct. I've never noticed the artist doing this in WDW's MK. I have seen it done in DL's MK. I know because my DH has taken photos of the process on our last DLR trip in 2004. It was neat watching it, and hopefully next time I can get one!

Good luck Beaky!

There was an artist there in November who described everything in pretty good detail but I can't remember it. They now have a "permanent" place next to the jewelry shop. But I have no idea how long it would take. The cost depended on how many colors you had. I just couldn't pick just one so I decided not to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella View Post
    That's great news Beaky!!!

Did the person you contact by any chance tell you the hours they are available to do this?

No they didn't tell me the hours....

I think I decided I am going to take him into the shop and help him pick out a goofy watch (he's a bad decision maker!) and then we can "watch" it get made! (hahaha I am soo cheesy...I know!)

I am going to checkl out the podcast where Lou talks about it anyway-just to get some more info!

Sounds fun Beaky!

Well, I think know where my next Disney watch is coming from!!! Now anyone want to tell me how I manage to miss this on the last few trips...?
    Amanda