Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Disney Merchandise & Collectibles Discuss D-Street and Vinylmation in the Disneyana forums; Hi All, I was reading the Disney Parks Blog about D-Street and the Vinylmation, the latest Disney collectable craze. I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are? "Vinylmation is about ...
    Vadania is offline C-Ticket Holder

D-Street and Vinylmation

Hi All,

I was reading the Disney Parks Blog about D-Street and the Vinylmation, the latest Disney collectable craze.

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are?

"Vinylmation is about expressing creativity and the mysterious thrill of the chase. It's a thrill for our Disney Artists to who see the Vinylmation™ figure as a blank canvas. Their inspiration comes from everywhere Disney Park icons, urban landscapes and even holidays. With each figure having a distinctive art style and personality"
    Quote: Donald Ferro, Product Developer http://eventservices.disney.go.com/files/vinylfaq.html

Disney Park Blog Post:
    http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/04/dancing-mickey-mouse-at-d-street-in-downtown-disney/
    Kungaloosh!!

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Re: D-Street and Vinylmation

It's just a fad like Furby's and Pet Rocks. I don't see this staying nearly as long as pin trading. I think pin trading is the ultimate collectible from the Disney parks. I don't see Vinylmation being popular for long, and I don't care for them. I think they look weird.
    Last edited by WDW4Ever; 04-17-2010 at 04:42 PM.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

wallfan329 is offline Working on becoming a Disney CPer

haha pet rocks.. I still have mine somewhere in my room. Anyways I love Vinylmation. They are different.
    Mckayla
    My Disney College Program blog...everything from KSU life to getting ready for Spring 2015
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫
    2001(PO),2003(BC and DCL Magic),2004(ASM),2005(Poly and DCL Magic),2006(HH & OKW),2007(SSR),2009(WL),2010(BW,Pop and Vero),2011(OKW),2012(AKL & OKW),2012(Pop, Reunion),2013(Band Trip/Birthday Trip...AoA/Off Property),2014(OKW,Pop and DCL Dream)
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I would like this product more if you could actually see what you are paying for. I think it's a dirty trick to sell them in opaque mylar bags. My kids wanted certain ones and were disappointed time and again as they kept getting designs they didn't want. It's that kind of marketing that makes me lose respect for Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by elvistelth View Post
    I would like this product more if you could actually see what you are paying for. I think it's a dirty trick to sell them in opaque mylar bags. My kids wanted certain ones and were disappointed time and again as they kept getting designs they didn't want. It's that kind of marketing that makes me lose respect for Disney.
    If I'm not mistaken, there's thousands of the Vinylmations. So even if you were to want to collect all of them, that's a TON of money. I don't know how much each one individually, but I'm guessing anywhere from $2-$5.
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Just not grasping the whole Vinylmation thing yet. A deformed Mickey all painted in different schemes? Maybe I have to give it more time. D-Street looks cool though. See some shirts I'd like to get.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

elcid93 is offline A-Ticket holder

Vinylmation... At first I was curious. Now, honestly, it makes me a little angry. I feel this is a pure marketing scheme/money grab. I just watched the D Steet opening video over at Inside the Magic, and it just seems like a bunch of junk to me. Whoever thought of the idea of selling chunks of plastic with eclectic designs and colors on it is either evil, brilliant, or both.

If this fad is around in 5 years, I will be very surprised. These things are going from $1 to $1444 on ebay right now. How much are Beanie babies worth today?
    Last edited by elcid93; 04-18-2010 at 11:18 PM.

I agree, things do not become collectible just because they're sold as collectibles. Products that have 1,000+ designs are not collectibles either.
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

They're even selling Vinylmation pins?!
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

-Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

I was looking on Disneystore.com to get an idea of costs. These are the averages I found...

3" figure - $9.95 to $14.95
    9" figure - $39.95
    2-Pc. set (3" and 9" version) - $74.95
    24-Pc. 3" figure tray - $238.80

The site also says "blind-boxed package" so it could be one in the series figures or a "Mystery Chaser design".

I like some of the designs but others are really freaky!! I don't want to pay at minimum $10. for a random figure, I want the one I like. This will turn out to be a very expensive hobbie and I feel sorry for parents.

I remember the days of collectable trading cards where you would get 10 cards, a shiney one and a stick of gum and still get change from your pocket money...
    Kungaloosh!!

... and not to be totally cynical, I do like some of the stuff on the D-Street clothes and apparel
    Kungaloosh!!

I like everything in D-Street apparel, except the price tags
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

hbk1313 is offline A-Ticket holder

The notion of vinyl collectibles has been around for quite some time. Disney is actually late to the game.

Dunnys have been around since 2004. Sideshow Collectibles has been doing VCDs including Disney for years. Hasbro does Mighty Muggs for Star Wars, Transformers, GI Joe, Marvel, etc. There are other companies doing independent and licensed-work.

That just scratches the surface of stuff in the US, Japan has been crazy about vinyl toys for 20+ years.

Crazy Bones were once huge
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast