Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disney Merchandise & Collectibles Discuss Some Disney Books Landed On My Doorstep This Morning... in the Disneyana forums; ...treated myself to some mail-order Disney magic a few weeks ago and they arrive on my doorstep yesterday: Volume 2 of the 'Walt's People' book series (by Didier Ghez) - ...
    missbounce is offline Fastpass Holder

Some Disney Books Landed On My Doorstep This Morning...

...treated myself to some mail-order Disney magic a few weeks ago and they arrive on my doorstep yesterday:

Volume 2 of the 'Walt's People' book series (by Didier Ghez) - my husband bought me the first one for my birthday this year and I loved it - can't believe I haven't started collecting these volumes before now. Never mind, plenty of time to make a Christmas list for the others - ha ha!

'Disneyland Through the Decades' by Jeff Kurtti - have scanned through and there are some beautiful photos in there - lots of reading material before I head to Anaheim myself in a couple of weeks.

'Wal Disney - His Life In Pictures' by Russel Schroder - very nice collection of pics of Mr Disney throughout his career.

'Windows On Main Street' by Chuck Snyder - wonderful (and very cheap) book about the windows in Disneyland Walt Disney World. Have already read this little gem and it definitely a great companion to the parks.

Thumbs up all 'round!
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

*** PROUD CHARTER-DAY GOLD MEMBER OF D23! ***
    ***DISNEYLAND ANNUAL PASSHOLDER***

MY DISNEY TRIPS:
    October 2012 - Walt Disney World (Coronado Springs) Halloween, Food and Wine, Christmas Season ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2012 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2011 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Expo
    May 2011 - Walt Disney World (All Star Sports) D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary
    November 2010 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Bonfire Night Celebrations and Halloween Season
    September 2010 - Disneyland California (Disneyland Hotel and Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: Disneyland 55th Anniversary
    February 2010 - Walt Disney World (All Star Music and Polynesian Resort)
    May 2009 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Mickey's Magical Party
    October 2008 - Walt Disney World (All Star Movies, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge) Halloween and Food and Wine
    January 2008 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Christmas Season
    June 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Newport Bay Club) Disneyland Paris 15th Anniversary Celebrations
    January 2006 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Christmas Season
    September 2004 - Walt Disney World (Pop Century) Honeymoon

Mike Fink is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Some Disney Books Landed On My Doorstep This Morning...

Good stuff. I love those Didier Ghez books. I own volumes 1 - 6, but have only read through volume 4. When I finish 6 I'll buy the rest of the series. I have to be careful about buying too much at once because my wife will hassle me with 'when will you have time to read all that?'. That's a fair question. But I find many Disney books fall out of print quickly, so I'm inclined to buy them as soon as I can while they're still in print.

There's one book I really want - "Justice for Disney" by Bill Justice. He was an artist for Walt for a long time. The book is out of print and goes for $250 now. Ouch.

What do you think of the new Disneyland book by Jeff Kurtti? I've been eyeing that one. There was a limited run of a special edition of that one. I'd like to get a copy, but I think they're sold out. I'd probably have to pay triple for it on Ebay now.

What are some of your other favorite Disney books? I don't have as many as you do, but am building my collection quickly.

Hi Mike! Another Disney book enthusiast - love it! I haven't started to read the Jeff Kurtti Disneyland book yet, but just browsing the photos, it looks like it's going to be a goodun. I have yet to be disappointed by any of Mr Kurttis previous works. His book 'Since The World Began' (about WDW) is one of my faves. I recently picked up 'South of the Border' which is about Walt's good will trips to South America in the 40s and that's a really good read. My favourites are probably 'From Sketch To Reality' about Disneyland Paris (I really wish there were more books about DLRP!), the Imagineering books (the 2nd one was released just a month or two ago) and the Disney Mountains book by Jason Surrell. Also, if you fancy a giggle, Mouse Tales and More Mouse Tales by David Koenig are great fun - all the juicy gossip from behind the scenes as a Cast Member.

Have you read Castmember Confidential yet? I've downloaded that on to my Kindle to read on the plane in a couple of weeks. I've also got a book called 'Hidden Mickeys: Sometimes Dead Men Do Tell Tales' which is apparently an adventure book set in and around WDW - a bit like Kingdom Keepers but a bit more grown up apparently. Quite looking forward to that one.

I'd love to hear about some of your fave Disney books too!
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

MY DISNEY TRIPS:
    October 2012 - Walt Disney World (Coronado Springs) Halloween, Food and Wine, Christmas Season ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2012 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    May 2011 - Walt Disney World (All Star Sports) D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary
    November 2010 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Bonfire Night Celebrations and Halloween Season
    September 2010 - Disneyland California (Disneyland Hotel and Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: Disneyland 55th Anniversary
    October 2008 - Walt Disney World (All Star Movies, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge) Halloween and Food and Wine
    June 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Newport Bay Club) Disneyland Paris 15th Anniversary Celebrations

Quote Originally Posted by missbounce View Post
    Hi Mike! Another Disney book enthusiast - love it! I haven't started to read the Jeff Kurtti Disneyland book yet, but just browsing the photos, it looks like it's going to be a goodun. I have yet to be disappointed by any of Mr Kurttis previous works. His book 'Since The World Began' (about WDW) is one of my faves. I recently picked up 'South of the Border' which is about Walt's good will trips to South America in the 40s and that's a really good read. My favourites are probably 'From Sketch To Reality' about Disneyland Paris (I really wish there were more books about DLRP!), the Imagineering books (the 2nd one was released just a month or two ago) and the Disney Mountains book by Jason Surrell. Also, if you fancy a giggle, Mouse Tales and More Mouse Tales by David Koenig are great fun - all the juicy gossip from behind the scenes as a Cast Member.

Have you read Castmember Confidential yet? I've downloaded that on to my Kindle to read on the plane in a couple of weeks. I've also got a book called 'Hidden Mickeys: Sometimes Dead Men Do Tell Tales' which is apparently an adventure book set in and around WDW - a bit like Kingdom Keepers but a bit more grown up apparently. Quite looking forward to that one.

Hi Cara,

I love the Kurtti books too, including Since the World Began. Who else is going to tell you what font Disney uses for the purple road signs in WDW? (It's Univers, an expensive font to purchase unless you can find a bootleg file on the Internet -- thank you for the lax copyright laws, Russia.)

It's funny -- I'm reading the South of the Border book right now too. I got a little bogged down in the section about hygiene films, but otherwise am enjoying it. The Walt & El Grupo doc about the 1941 South American trip comes out on DVD later this year, but I watched it recently through Amazon's Video on Demand service. Not sure if it's available online in the UK, but check it if you can. Great little movie.

The Euro Disneyland book you mention is out of print and goes for a salty $300 and up here in the States. More than I care to spend. I'll take your word that it's great.

Love the Koenig books too, especially Realityland.

Cast Member Confidential . . . mmm, thought it was funny but I had some trouble believing it's all true. Maybe I'm naive. I've never worked for WDW, so what do I know about the backstage life? I bet that's a book Disney wishes would just go away.

Never heard of the Hidden Mickeys novel, I'll have to check into that one.

I agree the Imagineering book is terrific, but it made me bit sad to see how far our Orlando park is behind the other Magic Kingdoms around the world with regard to ride technology and aesthetic beauty. The Florida MK just doesn't get the love the other parks do. That was proven last year with the disappointing Space Mountain renovation. The Fantasyland expansion is encouraging, but now I hear they're cutting that back as well. I don't get it. Maybe it's hard to get top Imagineers to home base in Orlando when they can live in LA, Paris, Hong Kong or Japan instead.

The best book suggestion I can make is a Walt bio called Magic Kingdom by Steven Watts. It gives basic biographical info about Walt, but also explores his impact on the world. Best of all, better than any book I know of, it gives a sense of what drove Walt internally. It's my fave Disney book bio.

I also like Steve Mannheim's book, Disney and the Quest for Community, which explores Disney's final project, Epcot. Walt saw very clearly the negative impact low-density sprawl would have on our cities and set out to find ways to stop it by building a experimental model city in Florida. But he died before it could happen. The current Epcot is nothing like Walt's vision, and I don't buy the line that WDW itself is one big Epcot. Too many buses for one thing.

Let's not forget to mention Lou's books, which are loads of fun even though I can only answer about 20% of the questions correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fink View Post
    Hi Cara,

I love the Kurtti books too, including Since the World Began. Who else is going to tell you what font Disney uses for the purple road signs in WDW? (It's Univers, an expensive font to purchase unless you can find a bootleg file on the Internet -- thank you for the lax copyright laws, Russia.)

It's funny -- I'm reading the South of the Border book right now too. I got a little bogged down in the section about hygiene films, but otherwise am enjoying it. The Walt & El Grupo doc about the 1941 South American trip comes out on DVD later this year, but I watched it recently through Amazon's Video on Demand service. Not sure if it's available online in the UK, but check it if you can. Great little movie.

The Euro Disneyland book you mention is out of print and goes for a salty $300 and up here in the States. More than I care to spend. I'll take your word that it's great.

Love the Koenig books too, especially Realityland.

Cast Member Confidential . . . mmm, thought it was funny but I had some trouble believing it's all true. Maybe I'm naive. I've never worked for WDW, so what do I know about the backstage life? I bet that's a book Disney wishes would just go away.

Never heard of the Hidden Mickeys novel, I'll have to check into that one.

I agree the Imagineering book is terrific, but it made me bit sad to see how far our Orlando park is behind the other Magic Kingdoms around the world with regard to ride technology and aesthetic beauty. The Florida MK just doesn't get the love the other parks do. That was proven last year with the disappointing Space Mountain renovation. The Fantasyland expansion is encouraging, but now I hear they're cutting that back as well. I don't get it. Maybe it's hard to get top Imagineers to home base in Orlando when they can live in LA, Paris, Hong Kong or Japan instead.

The best book suggestion I can make is a Walt bio called Magic Kingdom by Steven Watts. It gives basic biographical info about Walt, but also explores his impact on the world. Best of all, better than any book I know of, it gives a sense of what drove Walt internally. It's my fave Disney book bio.

I also like Steve Mannheim's book, Disney and the Quest for Community, which explores Disney's final project, Epcot. Walt saw very clearly the negative impact low-density sprawl would have on our cities and set out to find ways to stop it by building a experimental model city in Florida. But he died before it could happen. The current Epcot is nothing like Walt's vision, and I don't buy the line that WDW itself is one big Epcot. Too many buses for one thing.

Let's not forget to mention Lou's books, which are loads of fun even though I can only answer about 20% of the questions correctly.
    Hi Mike - thanks for the info on that Walk Bio - I'm not familiar with that one, so will have to take a look online. It's funny you should mention that Epcot one as well, as I'm sure (from memory) that was the one Bob Gurr was talking about during Lou's interview at the PNW Mouse Meet... spooky!

I agree - Lou's books are a lot of fun, but I still don't know half as much as I would like to. My memory fails me on figures especially - my husband likes picking out questions to ask me where the answers are specifically numbers - I'm rubbish at those ones!

You mentioned about the Walt and El Grupo movie coming out on DVD later this year - I've got it on order along with Waking Sleeping Beauty and The Boys (the Sherman Bros. documentary). We don't get the Amazon Video on Demand service here in Blighty, so will have to wait until November when my DVDs arrive. Really looking foward to watching though.
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

MY DISNEY TRIPS:

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

Quote Originally Posted by missbounce View Post
    My favourite is the 20th anniversary WDW souvenir book. Gorgeous stuff!

Jason Surrell's Haunted Mansion book deserves an honourable mention though, as does "The Art of Walt Disney World".

Quote Originally Posted by 20K View Post

Jason Surrell's Haunted Mansion book deserves an honourable mention though, as does "The Art of Walt Disney World".
    I would love to get a copy of the Art of Walt Disney World, but everywhere I've looked online, it's hugely expensive! It's amazing how quickly some of these titles increase in price once they start becoming hard to find.
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

MY DISNEY TRIPS:

It was $50 when I picked it up at Epcot. Glad I bought it then and there if it has since sky-rocketed!

I'd like to get that 20th anniversary book myself, but it's kinda scarce.

I hope they're doing a big 40th anniversary book. I haven't heard anything yet. Is anything big happening for WDW's 40th? I'm not hearing much.

The Art of Walt Disney World is awesome . . . I just bought it a few months ago at retail, now I guess it's out of print? The price for that and Art of Disneyland have leaped recently. Proves my point that if you want a book you better grab it while it's in print. Prices quadruple or more once they're gone.

I agree Surrell's books are cool, I like his Pirates one too.

We should mention Robert Tieman's books. Those are fun, with all the souvenirs and pullouts built into them. Very elaborate for the price.

I could go on and on about Disney books. I love collecting and reading them.

On my last trip I picked up the "Walt Disney World: Then, Now & Forever" book on Main Street. Very impressed with both the quality of the writing - accessible for non-Disney fanboys but still interesting enough for the likes of us - and Disney's recognition of what has been lost, sometimes in the pursuit of progress and sometimes not, was commendable.

On my last trip I picked up the "Walt Disney World: Then, Now & Forever" book on Main Street. Very impressed with both the quality of the writing - accessible for non-Disney fanboys but still interesting enough for the likes of us - and Disney's recognition of what has been lost, sometimes in the pursuit of progress and sometimes not, was commendable.
    I agree - this is a great book. There's a Disneyland one as well, which I'm hoping to get a copy of when I'm in Anaheim next week. However, the prices for it online are extortionate, so I'm not sure how much luck I will have!
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

MY DISNEY TRIPS:

Evilduckqueen is offline Annual Passholder

My collection of books includes:

Disney War by James B. Stewart
    Passporter's Disney Cruise Line and Its Ports of Call
    The Walt Disney World Trivia Book Vol 1 by Lou Mongello
    The Walt Disney World Trivia Book Vol 2 by Lou Mongello
    Birnbaum Guides 2012 Disney Cruise Line
    Birnbaum Guides 2012 Walt Disney World
    The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World by Susan Veness
    The Unofficial Guide Walt Disney World 2012
    The Complete Idiot's Guide to Walt Disney World 2010 by Doug Ingersoll
    The Complete Idiot's Guide to Walt Disney World 2012 by Doug Ingersoll
    The Vault of Walt by Jim Korkis
    Walt Disney - The Triumph of the American Imagination by Neal Gabler
    Celebrations Christmas Memories Edition
    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

The only one I own from the new books you received was the Windows book. After scanning it, I was a bit disappointed because I found a site that offered pretty much the same information for free. And it's not even a nice thick book to display on my bookshelf... just a thin paperback. The others do sound intersting, though. It's always great (and helpful) to get reading recommendations from other fans.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

I 100% recommend the Disneyland book. It's got a ton of information/photos in it and looks rather snazzy on display as well!
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

MY DISNEY TRIPS:

disneymaniac87 is offline Counting Down To My Next Trip!

I have the Windows of Main Street book. I love it!!!!!
    *Sarah*
    My Disney Vacations
    '92, '93, '94, '96, '97, '99, '03, '05, '06, '09, '10, '11, '12(x2)

"All you need is faith and trust..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast