Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Merchandise & Collectibles Discuss Oswald the Lucky Rabbit in the Disneyana forums; I have been looking for animation cels, serigraphs, lithographs, etc. and can only find one that's very expensive. Is there a reason there aren't more merchandise related to poor Oswald? ...
    SoupBone is offline Fastpass Holder

Oswald the Lucky Rabbit

I have been looking for animation cels, serigraphs, lithographs, etc. and can only find one that's very expensive. Is there a reason there aren't more merchandise related to poor Oswald? I know he's probably not that popular, but with Epic Mickey I'm sure his popularity has to have grown.

The reason I'm looking for the litho/cel is that I'm putting together a Steamboat Mickey/Oswald collage but I can't find any Oswald stuff. Any ideas?

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Oswald the Lucky Rabbit

I think the main reason for Oswald's rareness is that there just isn't much merchandise out there right now, he's a very old character that disappeared quite some time ago.

As far as him being branded with Epic Mickey, I feel like Disney is a little hesitant to heavily market and merchandise video game properties, perhaps a bit to their fault. I'm not sure that they completely understand or respect the market and the passion of its supporters for product tie-ins to games. As both an Epic Mickey and a Kingdom Hearts fan you can imagine my disappointment that the extent of my collections are collectors editions of the games and guidebooks.

If Oswald ever finds his way to Disney Junior I'm sure our thirst for the Lucky Rabbit will be quenched.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by SoupBone View Post
    II know he's probably not that popular, but with Epic Mickey I'm sure his popularity has to have grown.
    With bets like that, I'd stay out of Vegas.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

SoupBone is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by StewbotTalborg View Post
    I think the main reason for Oswald's rareness is that there just isn't much merchandise out there right now, he's a very old character that disappeared quite some time ago.

As far as him being branded with Epic Mickey, I feel like Disney is a little hesitant to heavily market and merchandise video game properties, perhaps a bit to their fault. I'm not sure that they completely understand or respect the market and the passion of its supporters for product tie-ins to games. As both an Epic Mickey and a Kingdom Hearts fan you can imagine my disappointment that the extent of my collections are collectors editions of the games and guidebooks.

If Oswald ever finds his way to Disney Junior I'm sure our thirst for the Lucky Rabbit will be quenched.
    I've only found one animation cell and it was way overpriced. I'm a patient person and this is the last piece I need to get my hands on so I guess I'll either save the money for the expensive cel or wait till something else comes available.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Of course the other piece to this is the fact that Oswald, while a Disney creation, eventually ended up no longer owned by Disney. Yes he's been brought back and was the secondary star of Epic Mickey (which obviously worked because my 5-year old is now enamored with him) but I don't see that as being enough to make him a staple for merchandise and marketing unfortunately.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Disappointed? Blame Iwerks. Ub did ALL of the early animation anyway. Not Walt.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

I blame Margaret Winkler for marrying that character-stealing cad, Charles Mintz, actually.
    Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
    Answer: Does it have to be a light bulb?