Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Merchandise & Collectibles Discuss Perhaps pushing the limits ... in the Disneyana forums; I may be over stepping (or stepping all over forum rules here, if so my apologies in advance.) My oldest daughter is an artist (acrylics painting), graduated from art school ...
    pharris430 is offline A-Ticket holder

Perhaps pushing the limits ...

I may be over stepping (or stepping all over forum rules here, if so my apologies in advance.)

My oldest daughter is an artist (acrylics painting), graduated from art school some years ago. She had worked at WDW in operations for the past 2 years, but she and her new hubby had to quit and move home with us because they could not afford to work for Disney (50 hrs a week at min wage, doesn't make the rent). With their marriage now official, and them wanting to get back on their feet, Erika is trying to make in roads in the art (painting) industry. So I thought I'd do a little market research for her here. She has a modern-esque style, and loves to do Disney images in her art (I have a great Goofey she did for me for Christmas). So I'm asking, who here would be tempted to purchase, custom artwork of a Disney style, acrylic on canvas? Would you be tempted if the price of the artwork was $190 for a 16x20?

your input is much appreciated.

flutter is offline Moderator

Re: Perhaps pushing the limits ...

I'm not a lawyer nor to I play one on tv but I would be very careful of copyright laws before I try to sell things with their image, that said there are people who sell photos they have taken at WDW so I don't know but I would check the laws.....that said it isn't in my budget but others may

Quote Originally Posted by flutter View Post
    I'm not a lawyer nor to I play one on tv but I would be very careful of copyright laws before I try to sell things with their image, that said there are people who sell photos they have taken at WDW so I don't know but I would check the laws.....that said it isn't in my budget but others may

to clarify, for the very reason you cite, actual images of characters, symbols (mouse ears, etc) she doesn't do. Nor is her work exact matches of such, but interpretations, and are therefor clear of such issues. I don't think Disney gets too draconian over go after artists, as long as their work is not positioned as Disney artwork, then there would be some issues.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Why don't you have her start a web site or a blog with her works and prices. Art is subjective. I've seen Disney art I've loved and some I've hated. Link it to your signature. We have many here that link to their own blogs or web sites.

If people are interested they can click if not easy enough to ignore.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Good idea HG

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Why don't you have her start a web site or a blog with her works and prices. Art is subjective. I've seen Disney art I've loved and some I've hated. Link it to your signature. We have many here that link to their own blogs or web sites.

If people are interested they can click if not easy enough to ignore.
    Already in the works!