Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Your Host, Walt Disney DVD in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I recently picked up the Walt Disney Treasures DVD release "Your Host Walt Disney" and watched the more than seven hours of included footage. Has anyone purchased this DVD? If ...
    danheaton is offline B-Ticket Holder

Your Host, Walt Disney DVD

I recently picked up the Walt Disney Treasures DVD release "Your Host Walt Disney" and watched the more than seven hours of included footage. Has anyone purchased this DVD? If so, I'm curious what you think about it.

I enjoyed several segments very much, but found some others to be pretty tedious. Here is a quick summary:

Highlights: The best inclusion was the 10th anniversary of Disneyland special, which offered footage of many attractions that were in the park in 1965. It also included models and drawings of It's a Small World and Pirates of the Caribbean. The ride footage includes now-defunct attractions like the old Mine Train and some odd kids' attractions. Also great was the Bonus Feature interview with Walt's daughter. Leonard Maltin talks with her for about 20 minutes, and she offers an interesting look at her father. There's also some excellent footage of Walt's backyard train engines during another segment.

Lowlights: Several segments included lengthy clips from films that were big releases at the time like Babes in Toyland and Darby O'Gill and the Little People. They might be good if you're interested in how the movies were marketed, but I found them unexciting. The only other drawback is the picture quality during the 1959 special, whih gets pretty foggy at certain times.

On an overall scale, this DVD is a good purchase if you're a fan of Disney history and want to see considerable footage of Walt's television persona. I would have liked to see more background on the rides, but this is more of a personal preference than a flaw of the release.

Any thoughts about this release?

Cheers!

Dan

holywdbnd is offline A-Ticket holder
    I bought this but haven't had the chance to navigate my way through all of it. I did watch the Diane Disney Miller interview and thoroughly enjoyed that. I've seen bits of the 1959 broadcast and I watched the 4th(?) anniv special, but found myself fast forwarding through most of the stuff with the Mouseketeers. I'm looking forward to the rest of it though.
    ~Courtney

*Cute and Fluffy*

danheaton is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I also did some fast-forwarding through the Mouseketeer portions. I was surprised by how much certain areas dragged. But it's still probably worth it for some great old Disneyland footage.

Cheers!

Dan