Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Why Disney won't re-release 'Song of the South' in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Brer Rabbit comes from the hare tales of central Africa, which themselves come from the considerably less cuddly stories of Anansi, the trickster spider god. The tarbaby story, in particular, ...
    Bahimiron is offline A-Ticket holder
    Brer Rabbit comes from the hare tales of central Africa, which themselves come from the considerably less cuddly stories of Anansi, the trickster spider god. The tarbaby story, in particular, is one of the most well known of Anansi's stories. Then again, if the old stories are to be believed, Anansi's secretly the star of every myth and fable because he's the King of All Stories.

In America, Brother Rabbit's stories also probably came to borrow some from the American Indian stories of Grandfather Coyote who, while as clever as Anansi, is often seen as more of a jokester buffoon character.

As for the racist qualities of the movie, Rochester from the old Jack Benny show has as bad an accent as any character in Song of the South. The only thing that Song of the South does to offend is that it really downplays the tension between whites and blacks at this point in American history. However, it's a kid's movie, not a History Channel documentary.

I agree with the person above that they should just go ahead and release it, but slap on some PC documentaries. Though instead of focusing on the negatives, focus on the many positive aspects of the movie. Baskett won an Oscar for the film. The first black actor in history to do so. This in a society which was still so racist that though he won an Oscar, he couldn't attend the ceremony because no hotel in the area would rent a room to a black man. That's pretty amazing. It's like the guy said, for the time that this movie was made (1946, sixty years ago!) it was amazingly progressive.

In any anthropology class, one of the first things they teach you is not to judge the past by the ethos of the present. That needs to apply to things like this. Unfortunately, it can't, cos we live in a society where people get their feelings hurt and feel the need to sue ten times a day.

Oh well.

GoofTroop3 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by dolbyman View Post
    all releases on dvd's out there are illegal pirate bootlegs
    Ok, but I have a VHS tape. Is Disney selling the movie outside the U.S.?

snuffieslady626 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
    People read WAY too much into this movie. Disney should re-release it and if someone has a problem with it, they don't have to watch it. Just sit down and shut up!
    I agree! There are a lot of "things" that offend me out there. SO I USE MY GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO AVOID THEM!! WOW Imagine that! I actually take the matter into my own hands and avoid it. I don't boycot, scream & **ss & moan! People need to start acting like adults not 2 year olds. Dont like, dont watch it. OR How 'bout this....watch it & explain to your children that this was a different time & era for our country. Explain why & explain that these are just stories. GET A GRIP AMERICA
    This is your badness level.

It's unusually high
    for someone your size.

Timbo is offline Fastpass Holder

Exclamation Disney Could Unlock `Song of the South'

Disney Could Unlock `Song of the South'

Mar 27, 4:53 PM (ET)
    By TRAVIS REED

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - Walt Disney Co.'s 1946 film "Song of the South" was historic. It was Disney's first big live-action picture and produced one of the company's most famous songs - the Oscar-winning "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah." It also provided the inspiration for the Splash Mountain rides at Disney's theme parks.

But the movie remains hidden in the Disney archives - never released on video in the United States and criticized as racist for its depiction of Southern plantation blacks. The film's 60th anniversary passed last year without a whisper of official rerelease, which is unusual for Disney, but President and CEO Bob Iger recently said the company was reconsidering.
    ================================================== ========================================

For the full story, click here: http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/200...D8O4O9280.html

Timbo is offline Fastpass Holder

Post More on this from the HUB

More on this story from the HUB at lsj.com:
    ================================================== =================
    Published March 29, 2007
    Disney may unlock 'Song of the South'

By Travis Reed | Associated Press

Walt Disney Co.'s 1946 film "Song of the South" was historic.

It was Disney's first big live- action picture and produced one of the company's most famous songs - the Oscar-winning "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah." It also provided the inspiration for the Splash Mountain rides at Disney's theme parks.

But the movie remains hidden in the Disney archives - never released on video in the United States and criticized as racist for its depiction of Southern plantation blacks. The film's 60th anniversary passed last year without a whisper of official rerelease, which is unusual for Disney, but President and CEO Bob Iger recently said the company was reconsidering.

================================================== =================
    For the full story, click here: http://hub.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070329/THINGS0107/703290321/1104/HUB

i-neighborhood Guest

Re: Why Disney won't re-release 'Song of the South'

Has there been any protest from feminists or women's groups regarding the portrayal of women in Pirates of the Caribbean including wenches and other portrayals.

Splash Mountain hmm

Peter Pan hmm, a football team is under pressure to change their name from Redskins

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by i-neighborhood View Post
    Has there been any protest from feminists or women's groups regarding the portrayal of women in Pirates of the Caribbean including wenches and other portrayals.
    No, they just got entire scenes changed in the ride, that's all.
    supernova likes this.

i-neighborhood Guest

I guess the scene changes are the new mermaids added in different spots. I just rode it a few weeks ago and the only thing I noticed was the song they added at the grotto just past the ghostly apparition at the beginning of the ride and some other minor changes on the beach.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

No, the ride changes took place close to a couple of decades ago when they completely changes the "carousel" scenes where pirates were chasing women around.

i-neighborhood Guest

the ride has had quite a few changes, i think i remember the one with girl in the bucket where sparrow is now.

From Wikipedia:

In its original form, the Disneyland attraction contained a scene in which pirates were shown chasing women in circles (achieved by simply placing figures on rotating platforms hidden below guests' view), along with a "comical" reversal in which an overweight woman was seen chasing a pirate. When guests were offended by this depiction, Disney initially changed the tableau of the woman chasing the pirate by having her try to hit him with a rolling pin. In 1997, this scene was changed so that the pirates pursued women holding pies, and the large woman is chasing a pirate with a stolen ham. However, the audio of the women's giggles while being chased remained despite complaints. Sometime after this the audio was also removed.

Originally, one overweight pirate (sometimes known as the "Pooped Pirate") was shown exhausted from his pursuit of an unwilling teenaged female. He brandished a petticoat as guests floated past and uttered suggestive dialogue, including: "It's sore I be to hoist me colors upon the likes of that shy little wench", and "I be willing to share, I be". Behind him, the woman he had been pursuing would anxiously peer out from her hiding place inside a barrel. This scene was altered in the American parks, but it remains unchanged in the version at Disneyland Paris. In the 1997 refurbishment, the "Pooped Pirate" was recast as the Gluttonous Pirate, a rogue in search of food. His dialogue included lines such as: "Me belly be feeling like galleon with a load of treasure", and "I be looking for a fine pork loin, I be". The woman hiding in the barrel was replaced by a cat.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    No, they just got entire scenes changed in the ride, that's all.
    Thanks, Scott. I was going to post the same thing before I noticed that you already did. I still cringe a bit when I see the new scenes now, with the women chasing the pirates with their brooms.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Or the two making off in circles with a trunk full of loot...

And they also made the guns MUCH quieter around that same time.

i-neighborhood Guest

i guess the lesson or message is that pirates never pillaged. Perhaps there shouldn't even be a ride called pirates because the ride and the gift shop could be perceived as promoting gun violence to small children. Especially since a 7 year old was recently expelled from school for playing on the playground with another student and both students using their fingers and hands as imaginary guns. More and more schools are scrutinizing what was typical kid behavior. And that Haunted Mansion, if that's not an injustice to small children screaming and crying but I lay blame to parents for that terror.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

The gun on Jungle Cruise is gone!
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast